Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ideas for hood clearance and possible scoop options

I really want to keep the Windsor in my new 4dr under the stock hood and still use a air cleaner_...

So far here is the plan,

Maximum motorsports 1\2' inch kmember spacer
    Solid drop motor mounts
    Weiand stealth intake.

Do u think I will be able to use a 3inch drop base air filter?? I also plan on cutting out the bracing under the hood for max clearance.

Much as I like the idea of using the stock hood, guys have had trouble making the drop mounts work. Take a look at some of the 5.8 swap threads on here before you commit to anything. Good luck though! I really hope you can make it work since I'd like to do the same thing one day!

If I end up needing a scoop, I was thinking the '83 GT reverse scoop would look the most like the impossible to find Fairmont Turbo hood, and therefore work the best.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Much as I like the idea of using the stock hood, guys have had trouble making the drop mounts work. Take a look at some of the 5.8 swap threads on here before you commit to anything. Good luck though! I really hope you can make it work since I'd like to do the same thing one day!

If I end up needing a scoop, I was thinking the '83 GT reverse scoop would look the most like the impossible to find Fairmont Turbo hood, and therefore work the best.
    What problems do they have? I used some drop mounts before on the blue futura in my profile but I also had a tubular kmember. I would only assume the problem would be using them with long tubes and a stock k member.

Btw the scoop on the 99-04 gt's fit great . I used one one the same car mentioned above but I had a taller intake and a tall air cleaner.

Don't '83 to '86 5.0 convertibles use a shorter mount?
    1985 Mercury Marquis LTS... "The Unicorn"
    1978 Fairmont... 306 and a C4.

Quote Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
    Don't '83 to '86 5.0 convertibles use a shorter mount?
    All non solid motor mount are based on the very mounts. U can even get them at autozone sometimes. But the solids drop it even lower.

After doing some research I've found that if u have either a t5 or a c4 the drop mounts Will work if u use a 351w specific oil pan and swap headers together. I plan to also install the maximum Motorsport 1\2 inch kmember spacer kit as well and a tubular k. The hard part will be keeping the column shifter setup.

With a 1" k-member spacer I could fit 302 tong tube headers with a 351w. I was using convertible motor mounts.

Pictures in this thread;

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...02+headers+351

You would gain hood clearance and possibly save a few bucks buying 302 headers instead 351 swap headers. If you did not have them already.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

How didnu get more than 1/2 inch? Did u use 2 of the maximum motorsports kits? They are $100 each BTW

And no I do t have headers yet, I have the 3 inch Dr gas xpipe and muffs though. Anything else I need?

I am going to try this very same thing with efi in September. Stock k-member, 86 convertible motor mounts, and maximum motorsports 1/2 inch spacers. I have all of it already. I'm just trying to get the motor squared away as far as roller cam conversion and cleaned up a bit. BBK ceramic shorty conversion headers are already here as well.
    Pic of spacers.

I believe the problem is with the ford oil pan kit contact is being made with the stock k-member, and the steering rack. We'll see how it goes in a couple months.

My research led me to this thread where it was accomplished on an aero fox.
    http://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0-...tock-hood.html

The frpp swap pan solves that problem but then again I am gunna run a tubular kmember and delete the front sway bar and mounts. I used this same setup on my old futura and it worked drove fine. I'm just adding the kmember spacers to the setup this time and a very low drop base air cleaner to get it under the hood without a scoop this time
    Quote Originally Posted by nelzfoxes View Post
    I believe the problem is with the ford oil pan kit contact is being made with the stock k-member, and the steering rack. We'll see how it goes in a couple months.

Quote Originally Posted by middle school View Post
    ... get it under the hood without a scoop ...
    A worthy pursuit! Seems like you've done your homework!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

How didnu get more than 1/2 inch? Did u use 2 of the maximum motorsports kits? They are $100 each BTW

And no I do t have headers yet, I have the 3 inch Dr gas xpipe and muffs though. Anything else I need?
    $100 is just plain silly.

All they are is a four pieces of aluminum with a couple holes drilled in each. Make your own.

You should be able to get some suitable scrap at a local metal shop. You couple also use some 1" x 2" box tubing if you were OK not using aluminum. Then get some nice fasteners at a hardware store.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

It's true. Probably could have fabbed up dirt cheap. Oh well. I bought 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by nelzfoxes View Post
    It's true. Probably could have fabbed up dirt cheap. Oh well. I bought 'em.
    I am going to as well, but I may copy them and make some of my own in the future, nothing wrong with buying a template...

I have a 351w with a Performer Air gap intake and 800 cfm carb. and sitting on a QA1 k member and Energy Suspension mounts. Mine would fit under hood with a Vette air cleaner. The sit very low around the sides of the carb.

Mike1157

What I'm curious is, what happens to the ride height of the front end, and the appearance of the "top of tire to bottom of fender" when you force the k member down 1/2"?
    Wont the front end appear "jacked up" by 1/2" if the k is dropped accordingly?

My thoughts are this:

If appearance is the issue, I'd take the looks of a bulge/blister/hood scoop or a hole in the hood any day over a front end that looked like I just swapped my twenty fo's for a set of 15's.

This is a drag car I think?
    Build a set of solid mounts, and put the oil pan down on the rack.
    Or I'd go one better:

I'd drop the rack 1/2" and fabricate a motor plate or solid mounts to accommodate to allow for the 3/4" I'd gain back by doing that.
    I did that on my last car, and was able to compensate for the bump steer issues w/ spacers to the tie rod ends.
    http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...-a-fox.851015/

The current project will stick way the hell outta the hood, and I plan to cover that w/ a custom fabricated steel blister in the hood, but if I didn't have that skill, there'd be a hole there w/ a scoop covering it.
    Last edited by Mike1157; 08-19-2014 at 07:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1157 View Post
    What I'm curious is, what happens to the ride height of the front end, and the appearance of the "top of tire to bottom of fender" when you force the k member down 1/2"?
    I would think you'd have to compensate with a shorter front spring. Depending on how far the car was lowered previously I'd worry about further degrading of ride quality.
    1985 Mercury Marquis LTS... "The Unicorn"
    1978 Fairmont... 306 and a C4.

Would it be also posible to run a offset air cleaner for addition clearence.
    1982 Mustang coupe with 66 mustang 289(30 over, keith black pistons,etc.) 4cyl world class t-5, 8.8 with 3.55.
    1980 Mustang hatch(sold)
    1965 Mustang (in process)

The ride quality is more a function of suspension travel, which on a Fox is about how far up the strut
    you're riding, than it is about how tall the spring is. You can pretty much equal the rate of the taller
    spring with a cut-down spring, if you use one that's smaller wire. Or, if you go to coil-overs, you don't
    have to worry about spring choices at all, other than maybe having too many choices.

The real issue here is whether you can get enough distance between the carburetor and underside of
    the stock hood that you don't end up with a 351 swap that makes less power than a 302 would 'cause
    the 351 can't breathe. A drop base air cleaner is nice and all, but you still gotta have space for the air
    to make the turn into the carb.

This is much easier to do, IMO, with EFI than with a carb.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    Woooooo! EFI! That's what I want to do eventually.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1157 View Post

My thoughts are this:

If appearance is the issue, I'd take the looks of a bulge/blister/hood scoop or a hole in the hood any day over a front end that looked like I just swapped my twenty fo's for a set of 15's.

This is a drag car I think?
    Build a set of solid mounts, and put the oil pan down on the rack.
    Or I'd go one better:

I'd drop the rack 1/2" and fabricate a motor plate or solid mounts to accommodate to allow for the 3/4" I'd gain back by doing that.
    I did that on my last car, and was able to compensate for the bump steer issues w/ spacers to the tie rod ends.
    http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...-a-fox.851015/

The current project will stick way the hell outta the hood, and I plan to cover that w/ a custom fabricated steel blister in the hood, but if I didn't have that skill, there'd be a hole there w/ a scoop covering it.
    Appearance is not an issue. Its a 4dr Fairmont drag car after all..

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    The ride quality is more a function of suspension travel, which on a Fox is about how far up the strut
    you're riding, than it is about how tall the spring is. You can pretty much equal the rate of the taller
    spring with a cut-down spring, if you use one that's smaller wire. Or, if you go to coil-overs, you don't
    have to worry about spring choices at all, other than maybe having too many choices.

The real issue here is whether you can get enough distance between the carburetor and underside of
    the stock hood that you don't end up with a 351 swap that makes less power than a 302 would 'cause
    the 351 can't breathe. A drop base air cleaner is nice and all, but you still gotta have space for the air
    to make the turn into the carb.

I agree with u. I'd have a lower car intake manifold setup forall the efi stuff then Run a spyder upper and call it a day. I know a guy with a carb hat/bonnet going g to an air filter on his Windsor but to me that looks ghey as hell and I just can't do that to my machine

Mike1157

Appearance is not an issue. Its a 4dr Fairmont drag car after all..
    That's what i was waiting for you to say.

Then why worry about trying to keep it under the hood, and why bother calling it a sleeper?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast