Close

Default Need rings/opinions

Finally got the block to the machine shop, found some interesting information while measuring out the cylinder bores. Bores measure at 3.820 which would convert to .040 over. My pistons are "factory" ford stamped pistons E3ZE-6110-C4A, on the dome of the piston they are stamped 1.02 (mm) (.040) - Some of the older techs at work said on some of the 2.3t cars they had problems with trashing pistons and the engines would come in and the dealership would send the blocks out for machine work and use ford OE oversized pistons.

My main question is this, my rings were trashed (hence the rebuild) and my bore is perfectly fine in all cylinders just needs honed, and my pistons that are ford forged OE 1.02mm, are fine. So, I am just in need of rings. The OE ford turbo rings seem to be the cream of the crop, but I know they have dried up, especially in an oversize. Seems like the next "best thing" is the CP's ring/piston set from bo or stinger, but honestly 630 bucks for pistons isn't in my plans at the moment, but if its a must, i will.

I found these rings, and these are about the only ones I found that i think will work. I'm in need of opinion (ring materials, and will they hold up to 20/22psi, and be reliable)

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...0MM_0203585213

Its a moly ductile top ring and a chrome second ring in the e441k sets for the 2.3's

Thanks all!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    Have
    '84 GT
    '86 SVO 2R
    '02 GT

I would break down and buy the absolute best rings you can. You have everything torn apart and you're doing things right, the last thing you want is to have to do this again. If you were working on the top end or changing out an accessory I can understand taking a chance on a cheaper part, but you are in the absolute depths of the engine. Now is the time to do all the necessary machine work and replace parts with the best on the market. That way your foundation is amazing and you won't have to worry about it or ever have to do it again.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Sealed Power E series are very good. Been working well in my stock 2.3 turbo. Same with their pistons.
    100,000+ miles on the rebuild.
    Dunno about a setup for 20+ boost.
    OE (chrome top ring?) is old tech from the 70's.

The O.E. 2.3 turbo rings were ductile iron with a plasma moly facing. That is where finding a replace "as good" seems to be a problem in itself.. which is why everyone is buying cp customs with their plasma moly ductile rings, but cps rings will not work with a oe piston grooves. It's looking like I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and get cps since its not going to be a stock engine.

Have
    '84 GT
    '86 SVO 2R
    '02 GT

How about Total Seal rings? I've never used them, but came across them searching for rings myself. They do have a Plasma-Moly coating.
    Anyone ever used these?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ts...55-5/overview/
    80 Fairmont Futura 2.3 4spd (soon to be 2.3T 5spd)
    86 Turbo Coupe 2.3T 5spd
    89 Mustang 2.3T 5spd (WRL Racer)

www.RaceWRL.com

Interesting you mention that, just talked to my machine guy today and he prefers total seals and has used them for years, read some negative things about them with f/I engines, but my guy says he has built tons of turbo/nitrous engines with total seals and they have been great. So that is what I'm going to go with. Also, for everyone ever wondering, the sealed power e441k series premium rings are on factory back order everywhere and have been for a long time. Aka they don't make them anymore in my opinion. These were one of the only rings I found with correct ring pack sizing and ring material for l4 engines. Total seals are the other option. Other than that, your stuck getting cps, or some other 700 dollar set of pistons and rings.

Have
    '84 GT
    '86 SVO 2R
    '02 GT

Federal Mogul and Mahle are oem suppliers that offer aftermarket stock and performance products.
    Both bought out brand names that have been around for years.

FM lists E441K for 2.3 turbo on their site, although in std bore size.
    Mahle lists overbore rings for 2.3 tc on their site.