Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

If this seller doesn't pan out, at least if you have to improvise, you know how tall the pump hanger needs to be since you'd have one in hand.

That would be a big stumbling block for someone starting from scratch.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    If this seller doesn't pan out, at least if you have to improvise, you know how tall the pump hanger needs to be since you'd have one in hand.

That would be a big stumbling block for someone starting from scratch.

Agreed. The pictures look good though, if they’re accurate.

In the middle is the old walbro 255. Well I have a new one just like it that needs installed in place of the original style pump. I am also anxious to find out if the sender will cure my gauge woes. As a matter of fact grounding issues may have been intermittently wreaking havoc on fuel supply and fuel level readings from the very beginning! Poor grounding probably led to the eventual failure which brings me here. I am still wanting to convert to the fox dash and gauges but if the fuel gauge works consistently I will run with it for a bit.

Could always splice in an additional ground. I've been known to do that. I hope you can get it working reliably.

When I was adapting one of these to the late Fox dash, I had to swap the whole gauge sender part. I used a Mustang one from the same year as the dash, but the arm didn't go the same direction as on the LTD sender. It only really fits down in its sump one way, so I had to make a new arm (the LTD arm was gone by this point) using galvanized fence wire. You can't even have the float facing the other way. I tried that with just turning the Mustang arm the other way. No dice. One way only. I've heard there are resistance boards you can get that fit in the LTD sender housing, but I couldn't find the known ones, and didn't want to take the time to experiment.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Put an ohm meter on it and measure the resistance thru the entire movement. I found that I had to spray the rheostat on my new unit with electric contact cleaner to get a smooth reading.

Mike

I know about the change in resistance values going from 85 ltd gauge to 89 mustang gauge. I guess I will have todo as you did and fabricate a float arm. I see that the sweep on the two different sending units is opposite; clockwise vs. counter-clockwise. I’ll get it figured out hopefully. This is all good advice! I haven’t had a working fuel gauge in the wagon... ever. Even when there was a 3.8 V6 under the hood the gauge wouldn’t work right.

Quote Originally Posted by nelzfoxes View Post
    I know about the change in resistance values going from 85 ltd gauge to 89 mustang gauge. I guess I will have todo as you did and fabricate a float arm. I see that the sweep on the two different sending units is opposite; clockwise vs. counter-clockwise. I’ll get it figured out hopefully. This is all good advice! I haven’t had a working fuel gauge in the wagon... ever. Even when there was a 3.8 V6 under the hood the gauge wouldn’t work right.
    Well I still do not have a working gauge. Instead working for a minute and going dead the gauge is pegged way past full and the low fuel light is on! Oh well! Hopefully when I get the dash and gauges swapped out I can correct what is wrong.

That is frustrating

Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    That is frustrating

Yeah. But at least it wasn’t working to begin with. Imagine I went from a working gauge/sending unit combo to faulty after installing new... that would’ve been worse!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123