Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dashes Direct Gen 3 Dash Pad

A few weeks ago I posted in the Restoration section about accidentally breaking my OEM dash pad while trying to prep it for dye. After much looking and debate I made the leap and spent the $300 on the Gen 3 Dash from Dashes Direct. I have yet to see any review of one yet so I will be posting on here to let you know how it turns out.

Here is my original thread:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ad-Replacement

Okay, so out of the box I am initially very Impressed with the Gen 3 Dash! It looks exactly like the OEM dash so far. The shape, including the "hump" are all correct. The speaker grill holes are also correct. It is also very sturdy and not flimsy like the past Gen 1 and 2 model was said to be. The ONLY complaints, if you would even call it that, is that none of the holes are pre drilled. I really don't mind that too much though. The other thing is that the mounts on the underside are not made of plastic like the OEM dash and are made of the softer vinyl instead, so those are a little flimsy. Other than that it seems to look great so far. I will be dyeing the dash regatta blue hopefully tomorrow and I will post pictures of how that turns out as well as how it fits once installed.

Here are some pictures of the Gen 3 out of the box compared to the OEM.Name:  IMG_6373.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  93.3 KBName:  IMG_6374.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  77.4 KBName:  IMG_6375.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  98.5 KBName:  IMG_6376.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  93.3 KB

Here you can note the differences in the clips on the bottom.

Name:  IMG_6377.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  78.6 KBName:  IMG_6378.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  88.2 KBName:  IMG_6379.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  80.7 KB

Thanks very much for the review and the pics! That pad looks much better than the last gen dash pad that they had out. I think the major complaint with the last gen dash pads were the edge lines above the instrument cluster and the bezel above the glove box. I would be interested to hear and see what it looks like once you get it installed and it's had some time to sit in the car.
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT

Looks pretty good in the comparison photos. I am interested to see how the fit and finish are inside the car. I hope it fits as well as it looks.

Let us know once you get it installed!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I would glue some 1/16" plastic to the back of the vinyl to reinforce the screw holes.
    Thanks for the review.
    Lots of FREE F/Z info on my site.
    http://myzephyrs.com

Looks very promising! Fortunately, a few other Fox chassis use the Mustang style dash pad. Woot!
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

Looks nice! Wish mine in my SVo looked that good.I bought the one for 200$ and it is garbage.its all flimsy.its got a hump in the middle of it like it got folded in half.and the speaker area has a square imprint around it.ya.......not good. Let me know how it fits,I'm most likely gonna get one.my interior is sweet except my 200$dollar dash pad.and when I told LMR they said sorry..........they are all like that.

So how does it look in the car?
    Steve
    "Taillights in Your Face Jack? You've just been Dominated!"
    # Link to Facebook Dominator Mustang Fans # # Link to Facebook Predator Mustang Fans #
    # Link to Facebook Twister Mustang Fans #
    Current Stangs: Stangless
    Previously owned:
    84 Black GT, 85 Black T-Top Dominator GT # Link to Restoration Thread # 85 Dominator GT RIP 1995, 85 Predator GT, 83 Dominator GT, 82 Mustang GT

FEP Power Member

Not bad. Wish I knew about it before. The dash mounts you mentioned could be a concern, but if you are able to reinforce it that would be cool. I was able to save my original dash by repairing the mounting points and compensate for the center amplifier grille damage by pouring clear epoxy through the holes on the back side. Don't think that original dash will last forever so it's nice to know that a fairly decent replacement is out there now.

Did you happen to take any photos of the plastic shell underneath? Is it still just a formed piece
    of ABS plastic? Or did they switch to a more stable thermoplastic?
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    Did you happen to take any photos of the plastic shell underneath? Is it still just a formed piece
    of ABS plastic? Or did they switch to a more stable thermoplastic?
    +1 I am wanting to know this too. I'm hoping it's worth the $300 price tag Dashes Direct wants for it. I noticed as well it only comes in black, but I guess that's ok so it can be dyed? painted? with the same colors as all the other interior trim.
    '86 Mustang GT T-Top, 5-lug Cobra brake swap done
    '96 Mustang Cobra 302rwhp 296rwtq, Sold and missed
    '11 Mustang GT/CS, Traded and will be missed
    '13 Taurus SHO, Performance Pack, hit and run, totalled
    '17 Fusion Sport, Livernois tune, Steeda CAI, Steeda Rear Swaybar, Big Mouth Ram Air, GFB+ valve, Steeda Catch can, TTR FMIC (Garrett Core)

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by 86GTdriver View Post
    +1 I am wanting to know this too. I'm hoping it's worth the $300 price tag Dashes Direct wants for it. I noticed as well it only comes in black, but I guess that's ok so it can be dyed? painted? with the same colors as all the other interior trim.
    You can spray a dye any color on it you like. Clean it well and apply an adhesion promoter before you spray it a different color.

Sorry this took so long to get back to. I was having a hard time getting the main dash reinstalled and get all of the wiring harness correct before I could go ahead and install the dash pad. I placed the dash in to do a test fit before I go ahead and dye the pad blue to match. And yes, as 84GT350CONV stated, it can be dye it any color as long as the proper prep work is done. Even white will cover up the black. I am very pleased with the fit of the dash! Perfect alignment of the tabs and all of the edges look great. I replaced my stock dash speakers with some Rockford Fosgate P-135's and I was a little worried they would be an issue because the tweeters do not sit flush and protrude slightly from the top and make contact with the dash pad. I honestly don't think the tabs will need any reinforcement, but putting some thin plastic or something on the back as mentioned in a comment above wouldn't be a bad idea. Let me know what you think.

Name:  IMG_6452.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  90.0 KBName:  IMG_6453.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  99.6 KBName:  IMG_6454.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  116.5 KB

Thanx for an in depth review. What are your plans for color? Leave as is or?...
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

The pad itself looks great, but it looks like it sits a bit high on the ends and in the middle where it meets the dash itself, but maybe that's due to it not actually being installed...
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Right now my plans are to dye it Regatta Blue to match the dash. My friend that helped my install the dash was there for the test fit and said he didn't mind it black, as the dash has some black in it as well as my instrument cluster bezel (not pictured) is black. What do you all think? The gap you are talking about may very well be because it isn't secured with hardware. It seems to fit perfect to me. just like the original.

I would go ahead and dye it to match the interior.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Finishing pics are a must!!
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Yeah, I'm with Gemini1999 on this one. The tu-tone look in an interior reminds me of a "toy" kind of look.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
    I would go ahead and dye it to match the interior.
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT

Looks very good to me as well ---- though I'm in the "Dye it Blue" club.
    13 Dodge Dart
    09 Shadow Sabre
    08 Caliber
    05 Aztek
    02 Avalanche
    02 Thunderbird
    01 Cadillac ETC
    98 Explorer
    96 Suzuki X-90
    89 Fleetwood
    89 Continental
    88 Town Car
    86 Silverado
    84 Fiero
    83 Town Car
    82 LN7
    82 EXP
    80 Mustang
    65 Continental
    62 Galaxie 500
    54 Packard

Stock never goes out of style.

X3 for the blue.
    conmech - aka Marshall

Blue definitely. Otherwise it looks like you just stuck a pad from another car in it.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

What is the pricing on this dash pad?
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast