Close

Default 03-04 cobra steering rack swap

I already have my MM hybrid steering shaft, and am planning to use 93 taurus outer tie rods in my 79 cobra that currently has the original trw steering rack.

the only problem I have come across is that I need new pressure and return lines to the pump and I cant seem to find information on which ones will work with my car since the original ones have different fittings on them than the ford-made steering racks.

any information regarding this is appreciated, I have tried on multiple different forums to search for information but have come up short.

thanks

I installed one on my 85 GT and did not have to change the p/s lines. Are the ealier ones different? I did have to use the MM steering shaft though.
    2005 Mustang GT- 13.62 @102 All Stock- RIP 8-29-05 9:17 AM
    2003 Redfire Terminator
    1985 Mustang GT T-Top- Almost Done

ive read that the fittings used on the trw racks in certain early cars are different that the standard ford units. I'd buy lines for a later fox but I dont know if they'd work with my ps pump or even if a newer ps pump would work in a 79

Some of those early cars do indeed have different lines. Ran into this trying to put 80 lines on a 79 or something years ago.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Ford brand PS racks should be the same fittings for the hydraulic lines through out the years.

The early cars had TRW racks that were different and don't interchange with the Ford IIRC. The changeover year on racks was 1982, again IIRC, so you could have either rack that year.

The TRW rack has a smooth center steel section, while the Ford rack is a single aluminum casting.

Good Luck!

Trey
    Last edited by wraithracing; 07-10-2014 at 01:50 PM.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I don't think the old pump (for 20:1 TRW) is up to the task of a 15:1 Cobra rack? I would get a new pump and hoses for a later model Fox GT that came with the 15:1 rack, that way it's all good.

I thought all pumps were the same? Which year would have the one I'm looking for?

You should be able to use any pump from a 5.0 with the 15:1 rack and be fine. There were some changes in part number over the years, but I don't know that the pump pressures really changed all that much between the different year models. I would recommend using one from 85-93 with the 5.0 as that should work just fine for what you need.

As stated above the early cars had the 20:1 racks and then you had the TRW racks and neither of the pumps designed for that will work well with the 15:1 Ford rack or the 03/04 Cobra Rack.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

FEP Supporter

Agreed. I upgraded my TRW rack to the ford one and had (wasn't really mandatory) to change my pump out. What I had heard was that under extreme steering (I assumed quick lock to lock kind of thing) you could run out of steering assist with the old pump. As Trey stated somewhere in 82/83 TRW's were phased out. I had to buy the new lines for my new rack as again stated above they were different between the two. I just looked for 85-93 and found the pressure and return lines at Auto Value (Canada) or Napa.

My question is: are the 03-04 racks the same connections as the Ford Racks we are talking about above and would they use the same pump as the foxes? I wished I could have went this way with my 82 but I had to draw the line somewhere. The knowledge will be good for later through.

Good luck and thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Ford brand PS racks should be the same fittings for the hydraulic lines through out the years.
    That I can verify is not completely correct. I have never had a car with a TRW rack in it, yet when we swapped lines from a parts car onto a driver, one had different ends where it screwed into the rack. I think we were putting 80 lines on a 79 car. Somewhere on the early cars it gets goofy.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

The 03/04 Cobra rack uses a specific T valve in the assembly that gives the steering more "feeling" or feedback. Essentially it lowers the amount of assist the rack uses to turn the wheels and gives the driver a more "connected" feeling to the front wheels and tires compared to a "standard" rack. This can translate into better performance on a race track as it gives the driver more confidence in what the front end of the car is doing when racing.

Although I prefer the more precise feeling and more connected feeling this produces, I don't really see any huge benefit for most street cars. The simplest way to describe this is that the steering doesn't feel overboosted or Lincoln Town Car / Crown Vic like when driving. If that is a major concern or issue for you, that's understandable, but with the added costs of having to run a hybrid shaft, the cost of a "Real" 03/04 Cobra rack over a standard replacement rack, the different tie rod ends required, and as shown the possible changes in hydraulic lines and pump IMHO the cost is just too high for what little benefit it gives. Now on the other hand, if you have to replace all these items anyway and had planned on running the MM style steering shaft, then the additional costs of the 03/04 Cobra is a little easier to handle, but again it's still higher.

The other point that I will make in regards to the 03/04 Cobra rack is to make sure you are getting a "Real" Cobra rack as from just an exterior view there is no difference between it and a standard rack. If you buy a used one or a re-manufactured unit you need to check the casting number on the rack and verify that is has " SPR-ZM" cast into the housing. If it doesn't it's not an original 03/04 Cobra rack. AGR and a few others offer "Cobra" racks that have been modified with the correct T valve to make them function like the Cobra rack, but I have not seen good experiences with the AGR units so I personally avoid them.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    That I can verify is not completely correct. I have never had a car with a TRW rack in it, yet when we swapped lines from a parts car onto a driver, one had different ends where it screwed into the rack. I think we were putting 80 lines on a 79 car. Somewhere on the early cars it gets goofy.
    The Ford racks did not show up on the the Mustang/Capri until the 1982 model. The Early cars were all TRW units. As to the interchangeability of lines, I am not 100% sure as all of my swaps have been to remove the TRW for a Ford replacement.

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

I may have used the wrong word there - I've never had a car with the two piece housing save for one that was never worked on and went to the scrapyard with that rack and all parts in it. All of mine have always had a one piece aluminum rack.

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    The Ford racks did not show up on the the Mustang/Capri until the 1982 model. The Early cars were all TRW units. As to the interchangeability of lines, I am not 100% sure as all of my swaps have been to remove the TRW for a Ford replacement.
    My '82 GT had the TRW rack and I switched to the Ford rack and newer pump. I can tell you that my old TRW hoses would not work on the Ford rack.

FWIW, in my opinion all of the standard Ford racks from the mid 90s on are plenty stiff and center weighted for sport driving. They feel much better than the over assisted Fox GT 15:1 racks.

I don't see much point in going with the Cobra setup.
    Last edited by PaceFever79; 07-11-2014 at 08:56 AM. Reason: dang auto-correct

In 1979 all the Mustang racks were the two piece TRW model. From 1980-82 the Mustang could have either the TRW or Ford (later Visteon) rack in it (This is data from Ford, which I have had almost no chance to confirm). All of the one piece Ford racks I have ever looked at have the same inlet/outlet port specifications. This includes all Mustang racks from 1980-2004.

If you install a 15:1 rack in a car with a 20:1 rack, you should upgrade to the PS pump for the higher ratio rack. The 5.0l pumps from 1985-93 are all the same with one exception. The 1985-89 pumps have one outlet fitting and the 1990-93 pumps have a different outlet fitting. They each require their own unique outlet hose to be used with them.

If you install a later model rack on a pre 9/1984 Mustang, you are going to need to replace the rack bushings as the 1979-9/1984 cars use a different style bushing. They are available here:

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/St...tang-P463.aspx
    Last edited by Jack Hidley; 07-15-2014 at 10:43 PM.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

Also make sure to install new Teflon o-rings on both the send and return fittings going into the rack.
    Jack Hidley

Just to muddy things up more, my Ford shop manual (1978 Car Shop Manual Volume 1 Chassis) shows the rebuild procedures for the Ford rack and pinion steering rack and for the TRW rack and pinion steering rack. This shop manual covers the Fairmont. My one owner '78 Friggin Futura had 54K miles on her when I bought it and I'm sure it still had it's original rack which was the Ford rack. I understand anything could happen in the previous years the original owner had it but at 54K miles, I wouldn't think a rack would need replacing. I'm confident the odo didn't go around once and the owner's son didn't lie because at just over 100K the nylon capped aluminum timing sprocket sheared off several of its teeth and bent all eight intake valves (302). I don't recall that timing set lasting much more than 100K...
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

My comments in post #16 were only about the Mustang. I've edited the post to clarify this.
    Jack Hidley

Whoops, sorry - now I see. It always blows my mind how Ford had shared some parts between the Fairmont/Zephyr and the Mustang but not others.
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

As Jack stated, I had heard that the Ford rack was available before the 82 model, but I have never seen or owned a Mustang/Capri equipped with the Ford rack before the 1982 model. Just another one of the strange and unique issues of Ford!

Never say Never!

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller