Close

Default Built '83 GT WIW??

A typical case of too many toys and not enough time. I bought this 83 GT from the original owner and other than the 10 holes it was dead stock with single catalyzed exhaust and all emissions. Its an original 5.0 5 speed sunroof, dealer A/C car, now it has a built 347, TKO600 and built 31 spline 8.8.

I bought the car as a street strip project and since I previously raced in a stock appearing class, I had a desire to keep all modifications as subtle as possible. I didn't want another raced out fox.

It has 143k although it took a while to come to the conclusion that it was not 43k original as the seller stated. Its a very clean carespecially for a north east car. The car is oddly devoid of rust. Tiny surface rust spot under the hatch and a tiny spot near the 1/4 window trim. The underside and engine bay is ridiculously mint. No issues with the floors or frame/shock towers at all. The paint is mostly original 30 year old paint other than the drivers door that was repainted. It has blemishes but looked good enough to keep the vintage paint instead of a respray. To repaint wouldn't be much more than a respray except I would replace the drivers door with one with no filler. The interior is std buckets with new covers front and rear & new headliner. Dash is a little warped but again, not bad enough to make me replace. Stock gauges all work with an innovate A/F gage hidden in a dash vent and a basic oil pressure gage under the dash.

The engine is a recent build. Roller block, bored .030 and torque plate honed & decked. Balanced Scat stroker kit with Mahle forged flat tops. Moroso deep pan, Big Comp Roller (.598 lift) AFR 180 heads, Scorpion 1.6 rockers, Performer RPM manifold and a Holley 700 DP. Heddman headers, pipe and mac mufflers with new tailpipes.

It has a McLeod dual surface clutch, Quicktime bell and TKO 600 tranny. The rear is a later 8.8 with the tubes welded to the center and straightened, New limited slip diff, 31 spline axles and 3.73 gears. It has a cover/girdle. UPR adjustable lowers and OE uppers with spherical axle joints. It has Eiback drag springs all around with an airbag in the pass coil. FLSFC's are welded in along with upper and lower torque box reinforcements and a driveshaft loop too. Brakes are all new with later Fox brakes and a hidden line lock under hood. There is a Mallory 110 pump behind the bumper feeding 3/8" aluminum line to the front.

As mentioned before, I tried to keep the car looking as stock as possible like I survivorjust pulled from a garage after 20 years of storage. The heads are concealed by the accessories, the factory air cleaner covers the rest. I have braided -6 AN line up to the carb but stripped the anodize off the fittings to it doesn't stick out. I still run the Duraspark 2 recurved and limited. I tried to keep everything else under the hood original too.

Just curious what this is worth. I know a re-spray would pay for itself but don't have the time to deal with it.

Last edited by CJK440; 07-02-2014 at 06:29 PM.
    1983 GT 5 speed- Red on Red Sunroof car- Carb'ed 347, TKO600, SRA
    2004 DSG GT- Maximum Motorsports grip box

Its a beauty and you did a great job concealing the mods...besides the headers, visually it looks stock under the hood. I would say start selling around 7K but accept any offers that are above 6K. I would even consider any offer over $5500, but it's up to you to decide if that's not enough.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Yeah, the headers are tough to conceal but no way was I keeping the iron manifolds. LOL

I really should just dial it in and take it to the track. It should be an 11 sec car with a good tire.

Problem is I am never good at owning more than one fun car.

It's a great looking Mustang and because you did it up right you should see a decent buck for it when you sell. If you aren't in a hurry maybe start at $7500 and see what you can get?
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear85 View Post
    It's a great looking Mustang and because you did it up right you should see a decent buck for it when you sell. If you aren't in a hurry maybe start at $7500 and see what you can get?

I'm surprised at the lack of interest. I did price it high to start with but was willing to accept a price equivalent to what I just paid for the drivetrain but no takers.
    Last edited by TopGear85; 07-28-2014 at 11:49 PM.