Close

Default How can I eliminate rattles in the doors?

Hi, I'm new to the site. I just picked up an 86 GT Convertible. It has crank windows, which I believe to be the source of the rattles when I hit bumps. I'm well aware that although the top is new, it's also rattling, but I am hearing it in the doors, and it sounds like the windows are shaking back and forth in there. Where do I begin in trying to eliminate them? The seals on top of the doors? The plastic on the door striker? Any suggestions? I hope I didn't miss a thread on this. Thanks

rattles are just part of the game, you could remove the door panels and see if any bolts are loose.
    *FOXTOBERFEST* 2015 http://www.foxmustangrestoration.com/events
    85 T Top coupe 5.0 2R red, E7's, rpm intake, 4180 carb, 7.4 1/8
    83 CC capri 5.0 5 speed,black mesh wheels
    76 cobra II 302 auto black/gold, big cam 3 inch dumps- sold to a good friend
    92 coupe 5.0 5 speed -red
    92 Lx hatch 5.0 5 speed -black, 66 coupe 5.0 4 spd (project)
    87 Vert 5.0 AOD red stock as a rock

" Are you sure you know what you're talking about? It kinda sounds like you know what you're talking about"

Keep in mind that you are dealing with an almost 30 year old car and unless it has been locked up in storage with no use, it has a lot of wear and tear on it. Typically what I have found in these cars, concentrating on the doors right now, with the crank windows there are numerous plastic/delrin bushings and guides in the window mechanisms that have broke and fell out due to age. These never really seem to affect the operation of the windows but they do make an annoying racket while allowing the internal parts to flop around in there. Also if your window guides, seals and wipes are dry and no longer sealing well then again it allows movement that can cause the rattles. I would suggest checking those first, pulling your door panels and looking around for broken bushings, loose guides, loose hardware and possibly anything maybe the PO's have accidentally dropped inside the doors as that happens all too often. It could also be the door seals and door alignment is off allowing extra movement of the door but in my experience this tends to be more of a deep thump type sound than what I consider a rattle. Just my thoughts and I'm sure there will be more help coming!

Check to make sure the door's have their striker bushings. That won't make much, if any noise (if it's missing) while driving but it will make the door seem more solid when you close it. Also, sound deadening the entire car will eliminate a ton of road noise and random rattles. You can even cut some to fit your doors, so after you replace all the door bushings and plastic bits I would do that.

Everything together (sound deadening and replacing all worn door parts) will make your car a more pleasant place to be.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

All of the recommendations made above are very good and worth taking a look at.

Any and all rubber bushings, seals, and gaskets that are not flexible and in good shape will allow rattles and noise. Also consider your door bushings on the hinges too as this is a normal wear item and can allow a lot of movement on the door even when closed. You can check easily by opening the door about 45 degrees and lift up on the door from the very end. If the door moves up and down or rocks slightly then the bushings need to be replaced.

As stated above there are several bushings and guides that break, crack, and just degrade over time. You also have grease that lubricates and cushions the tracks and mechanisms. Many times just cleaning the regulator and tracks and regreasing can not only help with rattles, but make the window work like new.

The other item you might also want to consider after addressing all of the items listed above is actual sound dampening materials such as Dynomax, Fat Mat, etc. Just using the sheets on the inside of the door shell can help to absorb some of the NVH and make the car sound that much more solid.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Supporter

On our car, one of the two rivets that held the glass to the regulator was loose and allowed the glass some extra movement. You could check that by moving the glass as its part way down. Also as mentioned: check the bushings that guide the regulator up and down the rod. There is also a nut on the bottom of the rod at the bottom of the door that can come loose plus there are rods for the door handle and locks that can wiggle around (and make noise).

...AND, welcome to the site!
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

Wow! Thank you all so much for the tips. The 86 GT is the car that I dreamed of having in high school. I got a 4 speed 79 Capri when I was about 22, then an 86 RS when I was 25. I'm really looking forward to working on this car. Thanks again. Mattie

I found this thread after doing a search for the same issues. My glass has too much play in it too. When the driver's side window is rolled all the way down (power windows) the glass bangs around when you shut the door or go over bumps. I need to tighten things up I guess. I don't see a lot of aftermarket items for the inside portion of the door. My glass also likes to drop a little bit before it grabs the motor on it's way down.

Quote Originally Posted by USN_Lifer View Post
    I found this thread after doing a search for the same issues. My glass has too much play in it too. When the driver's side window is rolled all the way down (power windows) the glass bangs around when you shut the door or go over bumps. I need to tighten things up I guess. I don't see a lot of aftermarket items for the inside portion of the door. My glass also likes to drop a little bit before it grabs the motor on it's way down.
    All of the items mentioned above are good things to check on your Fox. Replacing the window door channel run weatherstripping is a great way to reduce or eliminate the rattles and glass issues you mention. Most likely you need the 3 bushing kit for your window motor to remove the slop in the motor and remove the slop.

Here is a link to the window bushings: http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...-Gear-Bushings

Here are the window channel runs: http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...therstrip-Pair

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    All of the items mentioned above are good things to check on your Fox. Replacing the window door channel run weatherstripping is a great way to reduce or eliminate the rattles and glass issues you mention. Most likely you need the 3 bushing kit for your window motor to remove the slop in the motor and remove the slop.

Here is a link to the window bushings: http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...-Gear-Bushings

Here are the window channel runs: http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...therstrip-Pair

Good Luck!

Trey
    Late Model Restoration also makes nice kits that have most everything you will need to rebuild your doors in one shot short of the window guide bushings. I believe foxresto.com has the guide bushings.

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by 84GT350CONV View Post
    Late Model Restoration also makes nice kits that have most everything you will need to rebuild your doors in one shot short of the window guide bushings. I believe foxresto.com has the guide bushings.
    Correction. The bushings I meant were the ones other than the guide bushings that slide up and down on the guide rod.
    Also if you order the kit from Late Model Restoration make sure it has the two upper and lower guide bushings for each side. For some reason the kit I ordered had only one guide bushing per side.