Close

Default ignition coil making funny noise

So I was hearing a screaming/whistling noise coming from my engine bay after I took my hood off and when I listened closer I think I narrowed it down to my ignition coil. This is an old 302. Barely any electronics. Im not sure what would cause it to do that but it doesn't sound good. Most of the time it wont even stay running for more than 4-6 seconds and when it stops running, the tach (electronic) stops working even though the engine is still rotating and the key is in the on position. I was told that the tach is hooked up to the ignition coil so I figured that that might help with narrowing down the problem. One of my buddies mentioned that it is a voltage problem but he cant remember what was the cause. So here I am lol. Thanks for any and all help.
    Last edited by TopGear85; 06-28-2014 at 10:49 AM.

Any thoughts?

Default canister coil makes squeeking whining noise

So I was hearing a screaming/whistling noise coming from my engine bay after I took my hood off and when I listened closer I think I narrowed it down to my ignition coil. This is an old 302. Barely any electronics. Im not sure what would cause it to do that but it doesn't sound good. Most of the time it wont even stay running for more than 4-6 seconds and when it stops running, the tach (electronic) stops working even though the engine is still rotating and the key is in the on position. I was told that the tach is hooked up to the ignition coil so I figured that that might help with narrowing down the problem. One of my buddies mentioned that it is a voltage problem but he cant remember what was the cause. So here I am lol. Thanks for any and all help.
    86 gt with older carb 302 and accessories

I've never heard a coil make a noise like you described. I'll look through my service manuals (1979) to see if I can find anything like what you mentioned. Do you have access to another coil? I'd swap in another and listen for the noise again.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

FWIW, are you sure the noise is coming from the ignition coil? Could the noise be coming from the alternator? If it's the alternator making noise, it could be:

1. A loose or worn belt
    2. Bent pulley flanges
    3. The alternator needs servicing/rebuilt/replaced

I'm not finding anything related to an ignition coil noise in the troubleshooting section.
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    Build Thread

I thought I replied to this post already. There was some weird stuff happening with my laptop earlier, so that might be the problem. Do you have a similar thread in another forum?

Edit:
    I posted in your other thread.
    Last edited by IDMooseMan; 07-12-2014 at 01:51 PM.
    Build Thread

I merged the two threads into one.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Yeah I'm sure its the coil. I put my ear pretty close to it without touching it. Didnt want to gwt shocked. Lol

Does the coil have fluid in it? I swear I have a coil that makes a liquid sound when I flip it over. Maybe there is some kind of oil inside that's making noise because it's getting hot while in use?
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Tyrel, any progress on this? I'm curious to know what the resolution was in case I run across this again. I can't recall hearing an ignition coil make noise. Did you try swapping coils to see if the noise goes away?

Thanks for merging them, Mike.
    Last edited by IDMooseMan; 07-16-2014 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Build Thread

+1 on curious about this. Any resolution?