Close

Default Another GT350 gone to the crusher.

Friend of mine bought a rusted out GT350 Hatch out of N.H. for salvage purposes. He called me knowing I had one and if I wanted anything off of it. I went and looked at the car and it was rough. No title, Motor was missing, floors, torque boxes, strut towers, doors, hatch, door pillars were all rotted. Even the roof around the sun roof was all rotted. It still had a complete interior that was actually pretty decent just moldy from sitting in a field for many years. I managed to buy the interior, front fenders, nose piece and rear bumper cover. He gave me the original trans that was in the back of his pickup. The trans is locked up solid but may be salvageable. I verified the trans number stamped on the case and compared it to the buck tag and the numbers match. I will not be selling any of the parts off as I will keep them for spares.

The reason for this post is so Fox Chassis can put this one in the data base as scrapped. I have the buck tag and it was in fact a real GT350. I will post up the buck tag as I actually see it as I don't know how to post pictures.

MUSTANG
    171806 618M 0029
    9LL DF ST
    04 HB
    ANN WD MBW 01
    ELECTRIC-D NLR

The car was a 5.0L, 5-Speed Hatch with sunroof, premium sound with cassette and amp, PS, PB, No Air conditioning, Power windows and locks, tilt wheel No cruise control, Had the TRX wheels, Had remote hatch and gas door. That pretty much sums it up. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.
    85 G.T. All motor
    337 c.i.d 11.44-120 mph

1984 1/2 G.T. 350 (13.01-106 mph)

1984 G.T. (Daughters car)

1986 G.T. (Son's car) (12.99-105 mph)

I bought one from a salvage yard to save but had to scrap it too.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

I actually saw a mint condition one of those on the road today. First one I've ever seen Irving around (not in a car show setting). It was on rt 14 in Cary, IL...was it a fellow FEP member?
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Too bad another went off to the scrapyard. Thanks for getting the info and posting the buck tag. Added it to the database and registry.

Sunroof was aftermarket.

MUSTANG = Mustang model line
    171806 = 71,806th 1984 Ford scheduled for production at Dearborn Assembly
    61B = Mustang 3-dr hatchback
    M = H.O. 5.0L V8 engine
    0029 = rotations # 0029
    9LL = Oxford White exterior paint color
    DF
    ST
    04 = rear glass with defrost, hatchback with one-piece single spoiler
    HB = heated backlite (rear defrost)
    ANN = 20th Anniversary model
    WD = power side windows (W), power door locks (D)
    MBW = manual Borg Warner transmission (5-sp T-5)
    01 = type of hood (no scoop)
    ELECTRIC
    -D = Canyon Red interior trim color
    NLR
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Fox, the car had the factory sunroof. Had the stock glass and latch set-up as well as the stock factory frame and drain tubes. also had the map light and interior light combined in the same housing.
    85 G.T. All motor
    337 c.i.d 11.44-120 mph

Then you must have missed a code on the buck tag? What you typed shows no factory sunroof. If it was a factory install there should be a "MO" (moonroof/sunroof) code on the second line between the engine code and the rotations number.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

ragtopjr

Question

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Then you must have missed a code on the buck tag? What you typed shows no factory sunroof. If it was a factory install there should be a "MO" (moonroof/sunroof) code on the second line between the engine code and the rotations number.
    When they were dealer installed should they not have received the supporting equipment, just as the factory installed ones did?

If you look at a factory sunroof, there is no way to put one in after the fact. You'd have to cut the entire roof off as all the inner support structure is different. If a dealer has one installed, it's a typical aftermarket one.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

Is the car gone now? I need a fresh air vent cable for the passenger side on my non-air 84.

Quote Originally Posted by 83GTJIM View Post
    Is the car gone now? I need a fresh air vent cable for the passenger side on my non-air 84.
    The car is gone. I stripped the entire interior except for the heater box and cables. The cables were frozen solid on the fresh air vents as well as the cables on the heater control panel. The car sat in a field for a very long time. I had a hard time removing all of the bolts and Phillips head screws in the whole interior as the heads of them were all rusted from sitting.
    85 G.T. All motor
    337 c.i.d 11.44-120 mph

Getting back to this thread. Got me thinking as I look at this buck tag again. There is no MO on this buck tag at all. But the car did have the factory sunroof/moonroof. Is it possible that either the buck tag never got stamped for it or if the sunroof was added as the car came down the assembly line. I know the buck tag was basically the order form as the car came down the assembly line.
    85 G.T. All motor
    337 c.i.d 11.44-120 mph

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Thanks for the info.
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

What Ford make a mistake? Never! I still have the original paperwork in the glove compartment from 1984 and it's in a Ford bag that says "Employee Involvement, Quality is Job 1". Employee is misspelled, they left the second E off the end.

A mistake on a roof option? Not very likely. But not impossible. If it were a mistake that means the factory put a sunroof roof skin on the body without following the buck tag.

Take a look at this car and the comments/decode: http://www.saleenforums.soec.org/showthread.php?t=15518

Just because it "looks" factory doesn't mean it always is.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

I was being a bit sarcastic as that's quite a different issue. Could have been put together wrong and they just went with it maybe?

I'm gonna have to see more evidence before I chalk this one up to a mistake or a total lack of quality control.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

mistake? maybe thats why my 85 coupe has T-tops
    *FOXTOBERFEST* 2015 http://www.foxmustangrestoration.com/events
    85 T Top coupe 5.0 2R red, E7's, rpm intake, 4180 carb, 7.4 1/8
    83 CC capri 5.0 5 speed,black mesh wheels
    76 cobra II 302 auto black/gold, big cam 3 inch dumps- sold to a good friend
    92 coupe 5.0 5 speed -red
    92 Lx hatch 5.0 5 speed -black, 66 coupe 5.0 4 spd (project)
    87 Vert 5.0 AOD red stock as a rock

" Are you sure you know what you're talking about? It kinda sounds like you know what you're talking about"

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    I'm gonna have to see more evidence before I chalk this one up to a mistake or a total lack of quality control.
    Too bad the car is already gone! I should have taken pictures. This car was all original with original paint. I saw all of the factory drain tubes and supporting hardware for the sunroof. I saw no evidence of a roof skin being grafted on. I would have cut the roof off and saved it, if it wasn't for all the rust it had in it. I'll try to get my brother Pete (Hissing Cobra) to get pictures up of the buck tag. Either way it doesn't matter to me what it had. I just find it interesting that it had a sunroof but nothing on the buck tag.
    I know a guy that worked for Ford in the early 70's on their pickup truck line. He bought a new stripped F-100 and followed it down the line as it was being built and he had every factory option put on that truck. Basically he got a fully loaded pick-up for the stripper price. lol.
    85 G.T. All motor
    337 c.i.d 11.44-120 mph