Close

Default Got hit on 580 on Altamont Pass

I missed the car in front of me that was stopping, but someone in a white car nailed me in the quarterpanel and then left the scene somehow without being noticed. I waited at the bottom of the hill on the shoulder and waited for the rest of the carnage to eventualy come down and meet us, but no one ever showed, and now I don't know who ran into me. I know his bumper cover went flying off because I saw it spinning around in the fast lane in my rear view mirror. Anyone happen to be on I-580 about 4:30 in the afternoon on Saturday May 31st and see this happen?
    I really want to get this persons license plate number bad.
    Thanks, Jim
    JK
    1983 Capri RS Turbo (since new)
    1970 Boss 302 (since 1980)
    1965 Mustang Coupe (since 1976)

FEP Power Member

Not sure exactly where the Altamont Pass is but I did take 580 west from 680 in Pleasanton somewhere about that time yesterday and today. I seem to recall seeing a white bumper on the side of the road on 580. Maybe the license plate is still attached!
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Altamont Pass is the mountain between Livermore and Tracy. I went back on Monday evening and drove down the canyon between the two freeways and I found a white bumper cover! It was located exactly where the accident happened too. Someone must have thrown it over the guardrail to get it out of the fast lane. And the license plate is still on it! Maybe I will find out who it was after all. Thanks, Jim
    JK

Les Stroud Jr

Yeah that stretch of freeway everyone drives crazy.

Nottingham, PA now...from Perryville, MD...From Levittown, PA

I would think you could go to the local police station with the bumper and say you were hit and run by this car on such and such date. Show them your car (should be some transfer) and explain you went back and found it after they failed to pulled over.
    My name is Andrew
    1986 GT Convertible- 2nd owner
    1984 SVO-Impound Yard find

Quote Originally Posted by bosscar View Post
    I don't know who ran into me. I know his bumper cover went flying off because I saw it spinning around in the fast lane in my rear view mirror.
    I really want to get this persons license plate number bad.
    Thanks, Jim
    License plate on bumper cover?
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by conmech View Post
    License plate on bumper cover?
    Yes, the license plate was on the cover. It's been two weeks now and the Chp says they don't know anything yet. This guy will have his car fixed before the Chp even goes out to his house and checks. Maybe he is a cop and they don't want to check on him? I'm just curious why they haven't found out anything in two weeks. Seems like plenty of time to drive by the house and check with the owner.
    JK

My wife's car got clipped while parked and the other driver took off. Someone saw it and gave us the plate number. The local cops tracked it down and we wound up reporting it to their insurance company for a claim. But the cop said in CA you have a 50/50 chance of the other person leaving the scene. The sad part is they also said the District Attorney almost never files charges against the hit and run driver because it's more of a civil matter, unless there's an injury. So there is a lot of incentive for other drivers to leave the scene since there is less than a 50% chance of them being caught or prosecuted vs. usual, other person drinking, on drugs, no driver's license or simply don't want an insurance claim against them.
    '85 Mustang GT Convertible, Jalapeno Red, Charcoal Int., Black Top, 5.0 H.O., 4 bbl , 5 speed, No AC, All original except for 8.8 Motorsport rr w/3.55 gears & subframe connectors. Owned since 'August 86. 1 of 574.