Close

FEP Member

Default Gas tank filler pipe stuck! Cussing didn't even get it!

Anyone have a secret to extracting the gasoline filler pipe on an 81 Zephyr wagon?

I put in a new gas tank and rubber seal about two years ago, Now I'm switching to EFI and can't get the pipe out of the tank. No amount of pulling, attempted twisting and flopping around the gas tank has got it out. At one point it came out about 1/4" but now it's stuck solid. Not even inventing Zephyr-specific cusswords worked...

Anyone have a trick to getting the thing out?

If not, Is there a place to get a new filler pipe so I can take the cutoff to it?

Help!

Tom

Sounds like it has rust on the pipe inside the tank so it won't come past the rubber donut seal. I'd try cutting the donut and letting it fall into the tank to see if that does it. New ones are available from the dealer.

-MJS

FEP Member

MJS,

Thanks. Just ordered one - it's hard to figure out which one has the 2-1/4" ID for this tank. The bad news is it may take two weeks to get it in, but at least it's available. There's plenty to do in the meantime...

Tom

FEP Member

Got it out, finally.

I put a hose clamp around the filler tube clamping two right angle pieces of metal to the tube near the tank. I pried using two long pry bars, relocated the clamp often as the tube was pulled out.

Then the tank ran into the exhaust, so I had to loosen that and drop it down.

Now the tank sits on the floor - I'll look at the seal tomorrow to see if I need to wait for the new one to arrive...

I put an ad in the Wanted forum to see if anyone has a good 2-1/4" filler tube to sell me...

Tom

FEP Member

Where did you get the seal for you old tank?I need one for my 80 zephyr wagon.

The dealer has seals. I've gotten them there.

I looked on Fordparts.com and didn't find the filler neck. Does anyone know of a source for them?
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

FEP Member

Tried the dealer dont carry them anymore!! I got one from http://www.greensalescompany.com/ Had one thank goodness.

FEP Member

Sorry, didn't see the question 'til today. Here's where I got my new one: http://www.sscenterprises.net/4image...hp?image_id=19

What tank are you using? Is it the F2C? If so, you will need a 2" filler pipe. The 2 1/4" pipe won't fit. See the thread below I started about this a couple years ago. If you're using a different tank then just ignore everything I just posted.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...arison-F2C-F2A
    80 Fairmont Futura 2.3 4spd (soon to be 2.3T 5spd)
    86 Turbo Coupe 2.3T 5spd
    89 Mustang 2.3T 5spd (WRL Racer)

www.RaceWRL.com

Yeah, I have the right size. I've been driving the car with it for a while. I'm chasing a gas smell though, so I was thinking it would be nice to replace it with new, but they can't be had.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

FEP Member

Anyone find a source for the seal on the inside of the quarter?Where the filler pipe goes to the cap?

Latemodel restoration!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Latemodel restoration!
    What model mustang do I ask for?Im sure they don't have them for a Zephyr Wagon.

I got one for a fox. It's supposed to come tomorrow. I'll let you know how it fits.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

My question was actually directed towards the OP. He said he's going EFI so I assumed he was putting in a new tank.
    80 Fairmont Futura 2.3 4spd (soon to be 2.3T 5spd)
    86 Turbo Coupe 2.3T 5spd
    89 Mustang 2.3T 5spd (WRL Racer)

www.RaceWRL.com

FEP Member

Here's a quote from the seller I got the seal from (for the stock F2A Zephyr tank):

Yes, the grommet measures close to 2 1/2" around the outside where it fits in the tank and close to 2 1/4" on the inside where the filler pipe fits in. Its made to fit a stock Mustang II gas tank and actually alot of other Ford tanks as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jovibuilt View Post
    What model mustang do I ask for?Im sure they don't have them for a Zephyr Wagon.
    Compared the new LMR one with my old one. I did have to redrill a hole. but other than that, it's identical!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

FEP Member

Ok got a new tank seal and quarter panel seal.Now I am looking for the seal that goes around the drain tube from the gas cap box.The one that comes out next to the quarter panel seal under the car.Anyone have a source for this?

Hardware store maybe. It's just a big grommet.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

FEP Member

Im hoping to find a factory replacement lol