Close

Default heater doesn't work

so my 86 LX hasn't had heat since i bought it , what a pain. i notice the hoses have been bypassed from the heater core and when i turn on the heater/fan nothing happens. any idea.
    1976 II coupe, 1982 GT, 1986 LX

Well if you got air conditioning, someone bypassed the heater core because its a pita to change. If you don't have air, new heater core and hoses and you'll be done in a hour. That's assuming the heater core is leaking.
    Last edited by craigerSS; 05-17-2014 at 09:14 AM.
    here's to the freakin' weekend,I'll drink to that

Bypassed heater core has nothing to do with why the fan isn't running. Two different problems.
    The troubleshooting steps are somewhat different, depending on whether this is a heater-only car,
    or has factory A/C, so we at least need to know that.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Buy a new blower motor. That should fix it. But check your fuse first. If it was only running on one speed then it would be your blower motor resistor.

soory guys , it is a heater only car. when i turn on the fan nothing happens no matter what position. the only thing that turns on is the light for the rear defroster.
    1976 II coupe, 1982 GT, 1986 LX

Quote Originally Posted by shuffln View Post
    soory guys , it is a heater only car. when i turn on the fan nothing happens no matter what position. the only thing that turns on is the light for the rear defroster.
    Sounds like you might have a bad fan motor, you could unplug the motor and check for power at the plug when you turn the switch on. If you have power and the fan doesn't work, then you know what to replace.

Although even with a working fan you still won't have heat if the heater core has been bypassed. You will need to either replace the core and hook it up or at least hook it up. Although I am sure it was bypassed because it was leaking.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

First check if power is reaching switch. then test switch. If both are working then it is probably the fan motor. But if the heater core is bypassed you won't have heat anyhow.

Anyone know where the blower motor resister is located in a 84 svo? Blower only works on high.want to fix that. Thanks. Chad

It should be on the front lower part of the HVAC box, to the right of the floor vents.
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT