Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FEP Power Member

Default New single muffler and dual tips needed.

Had my car on a lift today to look at replacing my damaged original muffler that I patched earlier. Found that my dual tips are rusted out too.
    Looking for something to keep close to the original single pipe stock exhaust.
    I learned earlier that Stinger Performance could help me. After several e-mails over the last couple of months I have received zero replies. Sent another e-mail today. Just in case. Hope I can get a hold of them. No phone number is provided. Wondering if they are out of business and the web site is not shut down yet.
    Another thread earlier indicated Walker exhaust might make a limited run of dual exhaust tips. Has anybody verified this?
    Any help to get a correct fix or close to it would greatly be appreciated.

FEP Power Member

Dang. No replies. Kind of depressing. Guess the only way is to custom build a system as close to original from scratch. If I do I'll let anyone interested know how I did it. Was interested in trying to save some money in finding someone that makes a system fairly close to stock. Still no reply from Stinger Performance. It's a Shame no one is interested in originality in this area. I like the idea of hot rodding a vehicle, but still feel it's important to keep an original vehicle from this period original as possible. Sob! Sob!, Cry! Cry!, Sniff Sniff, I guess I'll get over it. Time to find a Kleenex.

This isn't the same as the Stinger dual tip, but its in the same price range and has the same look:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wesdon-Exhau...e11c2b&vxp=mtr

Here's the Stinger tip:

http://www.stinger-performance.com/Pics/SVOTip1.jpg
    Last edited by Gemini1999; 05-14-2014 at 11:05 PM.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Many people, even here, don't really seem to care and just put on dual tail pipes, like 85+.

I got lucky and found a used OEM tip in decent condition from a member here to replace my rusty old tip. You might try a WTB ad here ... that's how I found mine. I agree with you ... the twin tip is distinctive and I don't ever plan to change it on my car. I'd run single 3" pipe to the twin tip before going to duals.

If you're like me and don't care for the new replacement options available, see if there is enough left of your old tip to have a good muffler shop reproduce it and then have it chromed. You could probably spend $300+ with this route, but it could get you pretty close to the original look. Let us see what you finally decide.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Present: '84.5 Mustang GT T-top, '06 Mazdaspeed6
    Past: '79 5.0 Capri, '86 Buick GN, '90 Mustang GT, '92 SHO, '95 SHO
    Browse cover pages of my Fox Chassis related library

homer302 just put the Stinger tip on his GT Turbo, it looked pretty close to factory. Probably as close as you'll come anymore. When my second one rusted out I just used that as an excuse to do duals because I was tired of dealing with a chrome tip that was just going to rust again.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
    This isn't the same as the Stinger dual tip, but its in the same price range and has the same look:

I bought something similar to this off ebay a few years ago for my 82 GT that's still WIP. I have a standard 86GT/87+ LX style tail pipe and I'm going to weld on the chrome tip on to it. Should be pretty close to stock....
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

FEP Power Member

Thank you, Thank you guys. This website sure does come in handy. Too bad it's impossible to get through to Stinger. Gemini1999 I'll look at your link first. JTurbo I'll look at your suggestion next. Also thanks for suggesting about looking at the used parts section, but when it comes to exhaust systems I think I'll be better off going with a new system as close as possible to the original design. I like the idea of going 3 inch to the exhaust tips. This car will not go into a show as I'm not into that sort of thing. It will eventually be show worthy, hopefully by the end of this year. And yes, as period correct as possible. That makes the car even more rare. Going to a Mustang meet with it in Irving, Texas this afternoon with a friend that has a 72 Mach 1. Hopefully there will be people there that have more connections.

FEP Power Member

Here's the Stinger tip:

http://www.stinger-performance.com/Pics/SVOTip1.jpg
    Gemini,
    I just went to the E Bay website and purchased it immediately. I liked the Stinger exhaust tips better as it appears that they have a bigger inlet tube. But if they are not responsive to customers they lose out.
    Now I just need to decide on the best muffler to replace the original Ford one on the car.
    Yes, thanks to members like you this makes a much happier Mustang owner.

Quote Originally Posted by 84GT350CONV View Post
    Gemini,
    I just went to the E Bay website and purchased it immediately. I liked the Stinger exhaust tips better as it appears that they have a bigger inlet tube. But if they are not responsive to customers they lose out.
    Now I just need to decide on the best muffler to replace the original Ford one on the car.
    Yes, thanks to members like you this makes a much happier Mustang owner.
    I hope that works out for you. I did do a broader search on the net, but eBay and Stinger Performance were all that I could come up with,
    Bryan

FEP Power Member

I hope that works out for you. I did do a broader search on the net, but eBay and Stinger Performance were all that I could come up with,
    Well I finally got a reply from Stinger Performance today.
    The girl there said she has been sick and apologized for not getting back to me sooner. Kind of made me feel a little small to hear that.
    Part of the problem may have been that I don't have Microsoft Outlook on my computer and I was trying to use a temporary version of it.
    I'll let you know how it goes.
    I may buy their dual exhaust tips also and keep the Wesdon ones as a spare.
    It was a little disappointing at a North Texas Mustang meeting yesterday. 80% new Mustangs and I had the only four eye. No other fox body seen there. Everybody seemed to be over 50 years old too. I came as a guest, but I'm not sure I'll join the club as no one seemed to work on their cars either.

That's one reason I want to get my old car back on the road - the local club I belong to had one four eye at the first meeting I went to, everything else was 87-93. Glad you finally got in touch with someone, but they could have sent an automated out of the office message too. I hate that when I'm dealing with one of our customers and they won't ever tell us someone is out, it is frustrating.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

FEP Power Member

Thanks for trying noac. It appears this system is not even close to the same one that's on my car. There is no rear resonator muffler for example. I've even found out that the dual exhaust tips are specific to 84 GT350's. So I'll keep the rusted originals. I appreciate your effort to help me though.
    It looks like Rock Auto might have what I need.

Where did you find out GT350's had a different tip? I've owned one of those and two 84 GTs and they were the same. All 82-84 is the same, and the early 85 CFI cars too.

The dual tips are not specific to the GT-350. Many, many cars had them from 1979 onwards. My 84 Turbo GT has the dual tip.
    Bryan

I think the angle of cut on the tips changed a little bit from the earlier years to the later years but yes, the basic design of the system itself (single muffler, single tailpipe, twin chrome-tip) spans from 1979-early 1985 (CFI engine/AOD trans only in 1985) on the Mustang and Capri.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Someone has some good pictures of the differences on this site in another post I just recently saw, but the Anniversary cars don't have a specific tip - I was trying to make sure I read his post right and where he got that information.

Default here are 3

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...=1#post1641647

I took more detailed pics underneath each of brackets, mountings. They all appeared untouched OEM.

It is possible another oem variation could have been installed over the years. Thinking about the early straight cut tips.
    Sometimes vendor supply/production problems result in a batch of oem parts slightly different than the normal run.
    Tooling problems, production error, material, sub component availability.
    If they met spec overall, Ford could approve them for shipment until the normal spec ones were available.
    Have to keep the line running. Visual miscue here would not be a real critical reason for halting production.
    Last edited by gr79; 05-19-2014 at 11:33 AM.

FEP Power Member

You guys may be correct on the exhaust tips being the same as other models. The previous owner may have been incorrect in telling me this. Hoping to get another response from Stinger Performance. Looks like Walker Dynomax Super Turbos are the way to go for a new muffler. At least they still have a place to attach the original hanger to it. I'll hold off till the end of the week and still give Stinger Performance a chance to do business with me.

Oops, forgot the 82s were so stubby. My 84s had tailpipes just like the anniversary car above.

FEP Power Member

Got my new dual tips in the other day. Any suggestions on how to best do the hanger on the inboard side of the exhaust tip? The new tips do not have a factory style hanger.

Homer302 just did this on his turbo car, if I wasn't on my phone I'd look it up.

Well, no close ups of the hanger on the tailpipe, but I would think you could work with the one on your car after you cut it from the factory tailpipe, if it isn't a rusted out mess.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...n-the-GT-Turbo!

FEP Power Member

I think I will remove the factory tailpipe and try to duplicate the hanger with some thick sheet metal I saved from an old oven. The paint from that sheet metal is also heat resistant too. Then have it tack welded on to the new tail pipes, then spray paint it silver.
    Stinger performance replied to my e-mail again. It appears that they only have 3 inch exhaust which would be o.k. but since it appears that it would be another week for another e-mail reply I've lost my patience. The original 2.25 inch pipe is still in good shape and in the interest of keeping the car as original as possible and reasonably quiet being a convertible, I've decided to stick with it. I'll start working on this when my Walker Super Turbo muffler comes in from Rock Auto.
    Thanks again.

Default Check out Flowtech dual tips

These new replacements are close to OEM.
    I don't mind the black part. Less road tar to clean off.
    Quality is up there or better. Tip cut angle, length.
    Pic is 1997 era Hooker #21417; 2¼ to dual 2½ shown next to OEM.
    Hooker is now part of the Holley brand group.
    Sold as Flowtech Terminator™ #59905FLT.
    Look to be exactly the same except with black, not Hooker red/yellow, bands.

Easily available. About 50.00.
    http://www.holley.com/types/Terminat...ust%20Tips.asp

A good muffler shop can help with brackets. If present, transfer over and re weld.
    They can get the inlet connection angle right too.
    Last edited by gr79; 05-24-2014 at 03:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast