Close

Default Interchange question

Guys

I have a 1983 Mercury Zephyr. Still retains it's OEM PS Rack and steering. The rubber is about gone from the steering shaft and I have quite a bit of play. While I do have headders on the car (plenty of clearance V-8 conversion) I'm looking for the easiest fix. No luck trying to find a OEM steering shaft.

Can someone help? Should I try looking for say a 79-85 Mustang shaft?

I see aftermarket ones (universal joint no rag joint like mine) but there $$$ I'm trying to save a little coin.

Thanks!

Tommy D

You can get a replacement rag joint for less than $10 at your local parts store. Summit even has them:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rn...FcNj7AodzVMAhw
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Perfect!!!

On the way from Amazon Prime!

Thanks very much!

About the cheapest option and not hard to do at all.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

Just to confirm, rag joint can't be changed in car... correct?

Ok through bolts out of the shaft to rack/column out. Shaft moves freely but I can't collapse it enough for removal. What's the secret?

How did you disconnect it from the rack? Sometimes I've had to leave the clamp on the rack to get it out. It should push up into the column far enough to come out.

Pinch bolt on the rack, through bolt on the coulumn. Guess Ill loosen the rack and move it forward.

The steering columns on our cars will collapse as well. They are however often very sticky and can be difficult to do so.

Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4