Close

FEP Senior Member

Default Control Arm Conversion

I am doing the conversion and installing new SN95 Lower Control Arms on my SVO using the MM adapters. I understand the stock SVO springs will be too long due to the difference in the stock vs. SVO arm. My question is how much too long are the stock SVO springs to achieve the same ride height?

I actually bought a new set of MOOG springs and they are 1/4" longer than the stock SVO springs that came out. I want to cut the new springs and hopefully do it only once. Looking for the stock ride height.

Thanks
    Mark
    Mark
    86 SVO,(9L)
    94 Cobra
    70 Boss 302 (OFO2G121150)
    54 Ford Victoria

FEP Senior Member

I believe it's the depth of the spring pockets on the stock SVO LCAs.
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

Just keep in mind that cutting a coil spring for height increases the effective spring rate of the spring. Cutting the amount off for the SN95 control arms may increase the effective spring rate substantially, so your ride quality may suffer. Obviously you have the springs already, so unless you can return them, you may have nothing to lose other than your time.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Senior Member

Well I got it done yesterday, new MOOG SN95 lower control arms. They came with the ball joint and bushings for $87 each. I wound up cutting the original SVO springs 3/4", did not have to drill another hole for the sway bar. The ride height is the same as before. I had intended to install the new MOOG springs I bought but the old springs were severely pitted in the lower coil and had been powder coated, so I decided to just cut them and save the new springs for another project.

I measured the difference in the spring pocket depth between the stock control arms and the SN95 arms (3/4") and just shortened the springs by that much.

The results are fantastic, the car drives like new and I couldn't be happier, rocket science not needed for this
    Mark
    86 SVO,(9L)
    94 Cobra
    70 Boss 302 (OFO2G121150)
    54 Ford Victoria

Pics or it didn't happen.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

FEP User

Quote Originally Posted by MAPSVO View Post
    Well I got it done yesterday, new MOOG SN95 lower control arms. They came with the ball joint and bushings for $87 each. I wound up cutting the original SVO springs 3/4", did not have to drill another hole for the sway bar. The ride height is the same as before. I had intended to install the new MOOG springs I bought but the old springs were severely pitted in the lower coil and had been powder coated, so I decided to just cut them and save the new springs for another project.

I measured the difference in the spring pocket depth between the stock control arms and the SN95 arms (3/4") and just shortened the springs by that much.

The results are fantastic, the car drives like new and I couldn't be happier, rocket science not needed for this
    I have been hearing a lot about conversions on the LCA's. I guess being that it's hard to find aftermarket LCA's for foxes.

You SVO must have a wider that GT LCA??? A lot of folks doing the 5-lug conversion come across these questions...