Close

Default 86 Cruise Wheel Swap

Will a 3 spoke sport steering wheel be a direct swap with a 86 cruise wheel? I'm thinking of getting a sport wheel since i don't use the cruise, just wondering if it would be a simple swap.

Yes, it is. I did this on one of my 84 GTs because I hated the cruise wheel.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    Yes, it is. I did this on one of my 84 GTs because I hated the cruise wheel.
    Doing the same thing. There are 4 terminals but I only have wires that go from the pad to two terminals, what goes on the other two?
    1986 Mustang GT w/T-Tops

I believe the extra wires are for the cruise functions.
    I kind of like my cruise wheel in my 86 vert.
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A

Sucks that Ford didn't make the cruise wheel look nicer, it would be cool to have the nice looking wheel and cruise control. They could have done one of those adapters like Saleen, or better yet, just put the cruise on a stalk. That 3 spoke wheel is so much better looking.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Hi Guys!

Mike, I was thinkin' the same thing about having CC function on the stalk, & have gone so far as to buy a NOS set-up, off eBay.

I got here, bc I've been searching for the schematic for CC, in the stalk for a couple days now. I'm right in the middle of this job, & if I can figure out how to "map" either the wires *coming to* the CC switches to the white connector, OR the wires *coming out* of the black connector on the backside, I think we'll have a winner.

Do you think, it might be just a "knit one, pearl two" for each of the functions? i.e., Set/Resume/Coast, as well as On/Off?

You guys have any idea where the column CC diagram might be?

I put an SC wheel on my 85. It was a direct bolt on and the cruise buttons worked. It pits the rim a little further out so the high beam/ signal stalk was a little further away. I had a mustang emblem to cover up the SC in the center. I liked the thickness of the wheel. Made the car feel more modern.

Last edited by gsims; 03-02-2015 at 06:31 PM.
    1986 GT Vert, Oxford White/ Grey(sold)

85 GT Vert, Oxford WT/Sand Beige-(Sold)

Do not confuse motion with progress

FEP Power Member

Could also go with the 87 on up cruise wheel, much thicker and better feeling.
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear85 View Post
    Sucks that Ford didn't make the cruise wheel look nicer, it would be cool to have the nice looking wheel and cruise control. They could have done one of those adapters like Saleen, or better yet, just put the cruise on a stalk. That 3 spoke wheel is so much better looking.
    I was considering getting an 87-89 cruise wheel just for those long trips to swap it out, otherwise I plan on running the 3-spoke myself. It looks way better than the '86 cruise wheel IMHO.
    '86 Mustang GT T-Top, 5-lug Cobra brake swap done
    '96 Mustang Cobra 302rwhp 296rwtq, Sold and missed
    '11 Mustang GT/CS, Traded and will be missed
    '13 Taurus SHO, Performance Pack, hit and run, totalled
    '17 Fusion Sport, Livernois tune, Steeda CAI, Steeda Rear Swaybar, Big Mouth Ram Air, GFB+ valve, Steeda Catch can, TTR FMIC (Garrett Core)

The car I mentioned in my post above that I put the three spoke wheel in was an 84 GT with factory cruise. Ugliest steering wheel ever. I ended up swapping an 86 cruise wheel into it eventually because that was such a huge improvement.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup