Close

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

For your first time you've done a great job I be seen experienced painters do worse but it's all about the water sanding and buffing that's where you get that deep smooth finish and looks to me like you got it spot on

Great progress. Love the motivation. Reminds me of, well; me a few years ago. They are very rewarding projects. I am intrigued by your instrument cluster project. I have had many, many of these apart over the years. I just added a FMS 140MPH speedo to mine and replaced the volt gauge with an SVO Turbo gauge (just like the SVO). I have not used the replacement gauge faces. Please, please, please take LOTS of picture of the disassembled and the re-assembly as well. Also, you can buy a new lens so depending on how yours really is (looks pretty scratched in the pic but may not be) you may consider that option. Shame to do all that and then hide it behind a less than ideal lens. Of course, I am fully aware of the modern clear plastic polishes that are available now. That may be your plan. Just throwing it out there and also asking for LOADS of pictures of replacing the faces. I don't know if you have ever removed needles from one before but I can promise you they are very, very fragile and then you have to pay attention to where they were so they go back in the right place.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

hah way ahead of you, already got the new lense waiting! I'll make sure to take a ton of pics during that install as well.

Bad news is I hit a huge road block today, the engine harness in the 84 is completely trashed.

I had planned on using my fresh 2.3 Turbo from the wrecked 88 I have, so went ahead and pulled the engine harness for it, the downside is the instrument panel connectors are completely different which is what I figured. Idealistically I'd just use the electrical harness as well from the 88, but that will likely result in me having to re-pin the gauge cluster which is no big deal, but there's too many other differences to justify it.

Any ideas?

88's on the left, Turbo GT's on the right.
    88 Thunderbird Turbocoupe w/ 5spd Conv.
    84.5 GT Turbo Convertible (Rebuild thread: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...le-Restoration)

just seeing this now kudos for the hardwork ..lmk if theres anything you might need as i know of a gt350 hatchback that sits in a guys basement an hour from me....
    Last edited by tulsa; 07-13-2014 at 08:50 PM.
    the movie twister..i lived it big cabin oklahoma summer of '73

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBXnM5-B1T4
    current cars
    1984 gt 350 vert. second owner
    1986 lx 5.0 hatchback gone but not forgotten

Hey Guys, last update for the day.

Got the new carpet, seats and center console in as well as the steering wheel. Going to start sourcing another wiring harness to replace the original.

Until that's done I'll probably work on painting the doors later this week to keep thing's going along.

84.5 GT Turbo Convertible (Rebuild thread: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...le-Restoration)

You've been busy! Looks real good so far...

If you go on eBay, you might have some luck finding a wiring harness. I saw one for a 1984 2.3T setup, but it wasn't cheap.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

I feel your pain. The engine compartment wiring harness on my GT Turbo needs some help too.

Name:  IMG-20131017-00309.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  105.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by jacquejp View Post
    I feel your pain. The engine compartment wiring harness on my GT Turbo needs some help too.

Name:  IMG-20131017-00309.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  105.5 KB
    Hah, yeah definitely worried about putting that harness back in the car, I wonder if it's just age or perhaps fluid leaking on the insulation over time that wore them down. Wonder if it's difficult to find any 84 non turbo EFI harness, then re-pin an use that?

After 30 years, they are all in about the same shape it seems. The one in my 84 GT just crumbled one day. Car is looking good so far. Are those headrests just dusty? May want to pull them out and hit them with some paint too, the plastics you did look great. Wish I was brave enough to tackle my own paint job.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    After 30 years, they are all in about the same shape it seems. The one in my 84 GT just crumbled one day. Car is looking good so far. Are those headrests just dusty? May want to pull them out and hit them with some paint too, the plastics you did look great. Wish I was brave enough to tackle my own paint job.
    Yep, just put the seat's in for show since I planned to have the electrical done this weekend . The seats will actually be completely re-upholstered here in the next month or so since the driver's side is in pretty rough shape, the Halo's will absolutely be painted which should look great.

Car is going to look great finished. You've come a very long way already.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

Here is an aftermarket repro engine harness:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Detail-Zone-...9ea230&vxp=mtr

As I said before, it's not cheap. Contact the seller to see if it meets your needs.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Hey guys,

Good news! I decided to go through and fix the 84's harness by merging the frayed wiring with pigtails I made from the 88.

I went ahead and soldered the connections together then shrink-wrapped the affected area, should work great! Does anyone know what size the fuse is on the link from the Main Coil to what appears the computer? Here's a picture:

Here's all the fray'd end's that I removed:

After

Hey Guy's,

Got tons of work done today on the car. The new Gauge Cluster is done as well as all of the overlays. Also, I got the new Dash cap on as well, just need to get it painted which shouldn't be too bad. Forgot to snap a pick of it after I took the weight's off of it. Here's some before pic's though:

Next up is the overlay's and new cluster, I had an SVO cluster I planned on using, but the backing was just too far gone (torn / etc), so I went ahead and swapped out the 140MPH speedo as well as the boost gauge in to the factory cluster and it look's great!

You can see a tracer came out of the SVO backing:

After I swapped over the gauges, I went ahead and practiced on the SVO cluster. You just need some watery soap to get this done, a squeegee would be helpful too, but it's difficult to navigate around the needle

Here's the test gauge after, look's much better. I've got some needle paint I'll be doing as well. The factory cluster I used wasn't as near discolored though.

When applying the overlay, just spray the back of it with the soapy water so you can slide things around a bit when applying, once it's set in place, you can just squeegee it out the best you can and let it dry.

And done! The new housing look's great, the gauges turned out absolutely fantastic.

Finally, got a majority of the car wired, but still have some major issues. I was able to find the 22 Ohm resistor from my 88 Mustang and use it, so if anyone needs a replacement, any 87-93 harness should have one underneath the wiring loom on the engine bay going to the ECU harness, they simply moved the resistor to another location:

I've got all sorts of weird issues going on electrically, These 2 wires (light blue \ Red, and Yellow \ Black) have been cut behind the dash. They're fairly close to the main radio harness, any idea's of what they are?

The blower motor also doesn't seem to work, I'm missing the male plug for the CC-517 connector. It's the connector on Page 7 of the mc-machine 1984 mustang electrical diagram PDF (link here: http://www.mc-machine.com/pdf/1984.pdf), it look's like the male end should be behind the instrument panel, but can't see it anywhere, looked for hours

Fog light's don't seem to work either, checked the relay, switch, and a couple of other things, I'll have to hit it up a bit more tomorrow to see what's going on.
    Last edited by ChristmasGT; 07-27-2014 at 01:21 AM.

Looking great. Keep plugging away at it and you will get it done.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

The blue and yellow wires are for power and lights for the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    The blue and yellow wires are for power and lights for the radio.
    Thank's for the heads up! Now I just need to find the Heater Box power connectors then.

Got some good work done last night on the wiring. All of the light's work now except the fog lamps, I can work on fixing those throughout the week.

The door Chime / Buzzer doesn't seem to work, nor does the E-Brake light or Seat-belt light, so working on getting those resolved first. After that's done, I'll start swapping the Engine over this weekend.

Many times I've found the e-brake light won't come on because the switch is dirty. It's located under the console at the end of E-brake handle and seems to be a magnet for dirt & grime.

Does the little orange light come on at the fog light switch? Also, you will need the headlight switch pulled at least half way for the fogs to work.

Quote Originally Posted by jacquejp View Post
    Does the little orange light come on at the fog light switch? Also, you will need the headlight switch pulled at least half way for the fogs to work.
    Nope, I think I've got another issue going on there!

Also thank's for the heads up Jim, I think I've got a few more wiring gremlins I've got to trace down that I'll be working through on the next couple evenings, the car had some pretty crazy wiring problems before I got a hold of it, so it's turning out pretty good considering.

This weekend I'll be pushing for the motor to get in place and a new clutch, I'll have to use the 84's T5 since it seemed like it was in better shape then my 88's, so hopefully I can get a new clutch and be good to go. I'm thinking a 5-lug swap with Cobra R's should set the car off, once the mechanics are done I'll get the belt molding re-done and doors painted the weekend after if things go well.

Default Fogs

This guy fixed the fog lights in my 84 GT Turbo.

NAPA Part: ECH AR235

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...235_0460213663

If I remember correctly, it was important to get the hold down screw secure as it also was the ground to the frame.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast