Close

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Hey guys, quick update:

Was able to get the car re-sprayed and cleared today, didn't come out perfect due to the conditions / constraints, but am pretty happy with it! Friday I'll go ahead and work on wetsanding it to see what I can get out of it.

Overally I'm pretty happy with it being my first-ever spray job, and it's something I've always wanted to do since I was a teenager. But oh man, White's such a hard color to paint in a dirty buggy environment.

(This last pic got pretty compressed, sorry!)
    88 Thunderbird Turbocoupe w/ 5spd Conv.
    84.5 GT Turbo Convertible (Rebuild thread: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...le-Restoration)

Looks like you did a nice job, after the sanding it should look amazing.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Hey Guys! Quick update, spent a ton of time tonight wetsanding and buffing the whole car and it's a HUGE improvement.

Also went ahead and threw on the fender badges, just for a bit of motivation.

Here's a quick before and after (Before being on the right, after on the left). Have more paint on the way to get thing's rolling.
    Last edited by ChristmasGT; 06-12-2014 at 01:24 AM.
    84.5 GT Turbo Convertible (Rebuild thread: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...le-Restoration)

Nice progress!!!

Wow!!! That's coming out great!!!! Nice work!!
    '85GT Bright Atlantic Blue
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '93 COBRA Teal Metallic-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '86GT 'Vert True Blue-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

I have an original white 84 hood with the factory stripes still on it if you need it for reference. Just let me know.

Attachment 72201

That actually helps a ton! Didn't realize that outer stripe went out so far, but makes sense given some of the things I've seen so that's a huge help!

The next round of paint should be here mid next week and I'll work on getting everything but the doors done. The drivers door is pretty screwed up, it looks like it was binding on the fender so to close it they were probably putting their knee in it to force it closed. Someone also welded the upper door-hinge-to-body bracket for I don't even know why, when all it probably needed was door pins.

I've also got everything needed to start working on the belt molding as well to refurbish them. They looked like they were originally grey stripes, but it's pretty difficult to tell, so I went with red stripes which should look fantastic. One of the thing's I've been battling over is to go with a 5-lug conversion or not, there's a couple set's of wheel's I've been looking at. If not, I may just have the current pony's Powder Coated white to match which should look greats as well.

Also, I picked up a complete set of new interior and exterior bolts / screws / nuts from latemodelrestoration because who know's where anything is anymore and it'd be better to just deal with new rather than 30 year old stuff, so it should go back together pretty nice!

I don't know how familiar you are with the factory original 83/84 stripes but the stripe was actually 2 color- if you look closely you can see that there is a white portion between the narrow black stripe and the flat black of the hood. This is sure sign of the owner's dedication to originality. Many people paint the stripe on for longevity (and since an original stripe kit is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to find - the Phoenix Gaphix are pretty close but incorrectly overlap on the bumper section). I can get precise measurements for you later when the time comes if you want to go the paint route. Car looks GREAT and it is going to so rewarding when it is done!

Hey Jim, thank's for the compliments! I saw the Phoenix graphix kit and thought about going that route, but will probably go with painting them on. That hood picture show's me almost exactly what I'm looking for, so that was a huge help!

May work on painting the lower rocker this weekend just to get it done, will also probably work on the front and rear fascia's a bit, next batch of paint should show up Tuesday next week which will allow me to get rolling again. After that, I can start putting her back together!

Hey Guys!

Got some work done today, painted the inner trunk, front and rear bumpers as well as the inner hood. Look's fantastic! Tomorrow I'll work on assembling everything if I can.

Looking good!
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Quote Originally Posted by JTurbo View Post
    Looking good!
    X2!!
    '85GT Bright Atlantic Blue
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '93 COBRA Teal Metallic-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '86GT 'Vert True Blue-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

Got everything mounted up and ready to finish painting next weekend (except the door's, they'll need some major work)

The idea is to get the outer hood and decklid painted next Saturday as well as the center stripe. The one thing I did find out after comparing my wrecked 88 coupe and a few dabs of touch up paint is that this white from RestorationShop is more of a "Pure White" rather than the "Oxford White" even though it's labeled as so.

The Oxford white on my 88 as well as the touch up paint is more of an egg shell color, does anyone know if Ford changed the shade at any point? I actually prefer this "Pure White" color a lot more though.

After it's completely painted next weekend I'll then begin working on the interior and getting it re-dyed as well as running the wiring. Overall I'm stoked with the progress, it looks fantastic in person!

Nice work.

Looking Good!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by ChristmasGT View Post
    The Oxford white on my 88 as well as the touch up paint is more of an egg shell color, does anyone know if Ford changed the shade at any point? I actually prefer this "Pure White" color a lot more though.
    -may or may not help. but the Oxford white has been used on alot of Fords over the years, it is code YZ or Z1. it was the Mustang white until 2004. In 2005 with the new body style 'stang, they dropped the Oxford white and went to a 'Performance' white. Its evidenced by code HP, and its is as you say, more of a 'pure' white. maybe thats what you have.....

Wow you are really doing a great job on the GT. It is looking good!!

The white on a 88 mustang is code 9L, and is just about as close to pure white as you can get. Back in the day I had some pure white paint mixed in PPG's Deltron and sprayed it on a car. It was interesting to say the least. I got snowblind spraying it!!

Hey Guys!

Good and bad news, the good news is the rocker's turned out wonderful, happy all around with them. The bad news is the hood and dome though will need to be re-done as it's pretty streaky. First time with single stage, the finish on it is fantastic though, so no complaints there.

Last edited by ChristmasGT; 07-04-2014 at 01:09 AM.

Hey Guys,

Couple of new pictures, I went ahead and painted the entire hood white, then use Plasti-Dip for the stripe, turned out absolutely fantastic! It was raining pretty bad last night, so didn't get a whole lot of pictures.

The Front fascia grille, rockers and cowl were all done in single stage black, the center stripe on the hood and dome were done in plasti-dip and match perfectly. It's easy to peel off so if it fades in a few years a quick respray is all that's needed.

Going to pick up some interior dye this week and start putting it back together if all goes well. The door's should be finished up in the next few weeks.

Question...

When you painted the grille, did you do it before you put the bumper cover back on the car, or after? I'd like to paint mine, but I'm worried about the overspray through the grille slats.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

I went ahead and did it before since it's pretty easy and the line's easy to follow, then mount it up and do the hood stripe so it leads in to it.

Loving that Plasti-dip for the center stripe though!

Got a bit more work done on the GT tonight, went ahead and re-did the center stripe as well as continued polishing out the hood. Still need to work on getting rid of some of the lighter sand scratches, but extremely happy with how it turned out!

Also received my new Keys, locks and ignition switch today as the old locks were pretty messed up. Earlier this year I picked up an SVO gauge cluster and a new cluster housing, today I received the gauge cluster faces from latemodelrestoration.com that I'll use to freshen up the SVO cluster as well as needle paint, just need to get the new lights and I should be good. Yesterday picked up a set of barely used Marchal's with White covers as well as all new lights from latemodelresoration, just need to order the tails later on.

The plan for this weekend is to start working on the interior and re-dying it.

Evening update!

Started working on the wiring and interior to go back in tomorrow. Was on a good roll and able to get the interior painted as well, it turned out fantastic! SEM Color Coat NAPA Red (15273) is a dead match for Canyon Red, picked up 4 can's of the stuff from Oreilly's. Used Castrol Super Clean to de-grease everything then 3M General Purpose Adhesive cleaner as a follow up. After that I sprayed the Color coat.

before:

After:

Before:

After:

Here's everything I used to do the job, it'll take about 4 cans of NAPA Red to do the full interior, still have a few parts left.

Tomorrow I'd like to have the interior together if at all possible, it's amazing how everything turned out. The kick panels and center console we're completed faded and roughed up, now they look great!

Nice!

I like the idea of using bungee cords as a method to hang the parts for painting. This thread is very inspiring - maybe it'll inspire me to get beyond my "low on cash" funk and get some stuff done! Nice work on the painted plastic and vinyl. I had no idea that there would be a pre-mixed color off the shelf to match Canyon Red.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast