Close

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    FEP Member

Keep the red carpet please.
    You've done a great job man.

The car is what is known as a "stripper". The only options were the 2.3 GT Turbo package, articulated sport seats, cruise control, a radio and the tilt wheel. Originally it had only ONE courtesy light in the driver's footwell.

I also vote to keep the Canyon Red carpet. Black shows all the lint and dirt. For a convertible black carpet is too hot in the summertime with the top down.

I found the "Light Convenience Group" option in the 1984 brochure, which includes lights in various places, like the trunk, engine compartment, glovebox, ashtray and other locations. This package was an option on the Turbo GT as well as other models. I just took it for granted that all cars had this since my 1980 Ghia had all the same lights. Learn something new every day...
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Another vote for red carpet. I think it looks odd when the carpet is black and the rest of the interior isn't. A nice fresh red carpet will finish things off beautifully.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

If you were going with black carpet, you'd have to replace the door panel carpet to make it look right, like the Capris that came that way.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Quote Originally Posted by Eyelawdoc View Post
    The car is what is known as a "stripper". The only options were the 2.3 GT Turbo package, articulated sport seats, cruise control, a radio and the tilt wheel. Originally it had only ONE courtesy light in the driver's footwell.

I also vote to keep the Canyon Red carpet. Black shows all the lint and dirt. For a convertible black carpet is too hot in the summertime with the top down.
    The crowd has spoken, the carpet shall stay red! And yeah, it's really a bare-minimum car which is what I really like about it.

Almost all 84 Convertibles that I've seen have as you described at least 1 light in them, the instrument side of the harness was pretty hacked up, so I'm pretty sure it ended up getting cut at some point. Also ordered a replacement owners manual, just as an added touch.
    88 Thunderbird Turbocoupe w/ 5spd Conv.
    84.5 GT Turbo Convertible (Rebuild thread: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...le-Restoration)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ChristmasGT View Post
    And yeah, it's really a bare-minimum car which is what I really like about it.

Funny that you should say that, Chris. The fact that the car was low option was instrumental in my buying it off eBay (I was the only bidder) and holding onto it until a suitable new owner (yourself) who truly appreciates the car came along! Given how messed up the wiring was, it's a good thing it wasn't a full power car. I'm still amazed at all you have done to bring it back to life!

nice restoration..

I was just thinking about this thread last night while I was posting. No updates since May... I know the OP is still active here. Don't keep us in suspense!
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Hey Guys,

Sorry! I've been pretty busy, I just finished getting the convertible top on yesterday. Over the Winter I installed some 98-04 Cobra 13" brakes on to my daily driver Tbird, really thinking about doing the same to this guy, it made such a huge difference just for a daily driver.

Next on the list though is to do a bit of work with the suspension and 5 lug swap with alloy Cobra R's, nail down some exhaust leaks and figure out what I want to do with the brakes. After that, just finish up on the interior work.

Anyway, the cloth top looks FANTASTIC! The skeleton is out of a 93, swapped right in without any issues, the original 84 had a lot of damage on the pivot points. Also, the headliner makes the car feel so much more refined!

84.5 GT Turbo Convertible (Rebuild thread: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...le-Restoration)

That top looks fantastic. Ford should have gone with the cloth from the factory.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Hey guys,

Figured I'd do a quick post as it's been awhile. The last few weeks I've really wanted to make the car a fair bit more reliable and start really enjoy driving it more regularly.

First thing I wanted to do was replace the Head Unit with something that supported Apple CarPlay and install a new 4 Channel Amp. Since I didn't want to modify the dash in any capacity, I found that the Boss BE9ACP fit absolutely perfectly! It has a good amount of vertical adjustment and doesn't interfere at all with the shifting area, it protrudes just enough to clear the dash and in my opinion looks fantastic.

I removed the 2-Channel amplifier in the trunk and replaced it with a Kenwood KAC-314 that fits absolutely perfect under the passenger side seat. Overall, I'm really happy with the sound system without having to modify door panels or dash (as that was the main goal).

Another issue that I had was the second gear synchronizer was faulty on the rebuilt T5, so I took the opportunity to get that fixed as well as replace the Cross Member to Transmission mounting bushing.

Originally, I had the car running with an LMR High Torque Mini Starter; I definitely do not recommend for this car as it sounded absolutely horrendous. Replacing with a factory 1995 Mustang V8 5.0 Mini Starter smoothed out the starting process significantly.

Lastly, I went ahead and ditched the Front Mount Intercooler option with a factory setup, running straight to the wastegate. I really wanted to cleanup the engine bay, and overall make car more enjoyable to daily drive. With Stingers Pimp ECU and the exhaust, it's more than sporty enough. The car absolutely loves the highway.

There are also a number of smaller things that I worked on, like installing the Drivers Side fresh-air vent that I completely forgot to do initially as well as fixed a fuel fill up issue where the filler neck wasn't completely into the tank and doing a ton of wiring cleanup.

Overall I've been driving the car the last few days and it's been about as rock solid as can be, so figured I'd make a quick update post.

Hey guys,

Quick update. I've made some major Quality-of-Live improvements on the mustang over the last couple of months. The original 7.5 was making a ton of noise, and I finally decided to upgrade to 5 Lug using an 8.8 out of a 94-95 SN95 GT. While I was at it, I went ahead and upgrade to 99-04 PBR's with Bilstein Coil Overs and new Controls arms all the way around (Maximum Motorsports). While I was at it, I went ahead and rebuilt the calipers alongside new rotors and brakes.

Using a 93 Cobra Master cyl and booster, and can honestly say it drives SIGNIFICANTLY better and is an absolute blast to get around in.

FEP Power Member

Nice!
    Are the control arms from MM, front & rear? What spindles did you use?
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

Quote Originally Posted by ZEN50 View Post
    Nice!
    Are the control arms from MM, front & rear? What spindles did you use?
    Hey there! Yeah, all control arms are 87-93 MM control arms minus the rear upper control arms are BMR Uppers (MM doesn't have an upper rear control arm from what I can see).

Because I'm using the stock K-member, I went with 94-95 spindles. The car is absolutely glued to the road now and is such an overall joy to drive!

Quote Originally Posted by ChristmasGT View Post
    (MM doesn't have an upper rear control arm from what I can see).
    They got their copy of the old Ford Racing control arms...

https://www.maximummotorsports.com/R...tang-P544.aspx
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

FEP Supporter

Looking good, ChristmasGT!!!

Did you also add a set of caster /camber plates? Asking because I was always under the impression that when using a coilover in the front, that the top of the shock towers are said to be somewhat weak and could use the extra strength gained from mounting the plates.
    Last edited by qikgts; 11-22-2023 at 12:51 PM.
    '85 GT

Quote Originally Posted by qikgts View Post
    Looking good, ChristmasGT!!!

Did you also add a set of caster /camber plates? Asking because I was always under the impression that when using a coilover in the front, that the top of the shock towers are said to be somewhat weak and could use the extra strength gained from mounting the plates.
    Yup, I went with the MM Caster / Camber plates. I've been going back and forth on an 2.3 ecoboost swap for the car, but plan on thinking about that one for awhile before I do anything.

FEP Supporter

10-4, Sir.

Ecoboost swap would be mighty cool IMHO!
    '85 GT

Quote Originally Posted by qikgts View Post
    10-4, Sir.

Ecoboost swap would be mighty cool IMHO!
    That's where I'm leaning. The SVO in the background is the next project I'll be creating a thread on. That one is 100% getting an Ecoboost 2.3 with a Tremec T56 and a similar suspension setup to the convertible. I got that car as a complete basket case and have had a new floor pan with sub-frame connectors installed as well as all of the car entirely bead blasted and epoxied at the moment.

I picked up an X308 Jaguar a few weeks ago that I'm in the process of finishing up (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...thread-274644/) and then it's on to the SVO. Thanks for the feedback!

FEP Supporter

I'll have to take a look at that thread!
    '85 GT

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567