Close

Default wipers come on randomly! PLEASE HELP

hello, im new to the forum i have a beautiful 83 mustang gt and my wipers have just started to come on randomly. i recently just blew my interior light fuse. i try to put a new one in and it blows as soons as i put it in.

Sounds like you have a short somewhere. It's possible it could also be a ground issue.

Have you done any work recently to any wiring or electrical parts? If so, I would double check the grounds and wiring for anything that might be loose or possibly grounding out. Also check your wiring on the wiper motor and may sure that it's not cracked or have any cuts/breaks that could short or ground out on the hinges or anything near the wiper motor. You might want to do the same for the wiper motor wiring under the dash. If you have intermittent wipers too, double check the wiring going into the governor there, near the steering column. The last thing might also be an issue with the wiring on the column with the wiper stalk or even the switch itself.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

LOL long shot, my 5.5" tach was hitting the switch on bumps.. Just sayin, could be the problem..
    Rob

current cars:
    83 GT Convertible
    83 Project GT T-Top Coupe
    84 GT T-Top Hatch
    86 GT Hatch low mile car
    00 V-6 Convertible

all white cars!

Everything's nice and nothing I pinched. I haven't done anything with the wipe motor wiring. Cleaned the ground and everything is fine. I'm gonna replace the multi function switch. Lol I still have the stock tach in mine. Need to figure out the fuse box interior lighting issue too

If it has delay wiper then it has a control module. Some call it a GEM module. A ford manual I read said to test it with a known good module for diagnostics. If you have to buy one, pretend to be a prostitute because you know what is going to happen next.