Close

New User

Default Tachometer troubles

OK folks I need some help please. 1982 Silver GT 5.0 manual. Did lot's of stuff in the engine bay now the tachometer doesn't work. Any clues ? Because I'm clueless. Haynes manual says fuse #18 15 amp but I can't find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've a great story to tell on this one but I know that I need pictures so I'm gathering that stuff. Thanks everyone who chimes in. G

Which ignition are you running? Duraspark? Aftermarket?

New User

I believe it is a "stock?" Borg Warner if I recall. G

Funny I have the same problem. Found the wire loom shot in the engine compartment. Best thing I can tell you is check the engine harness connectors. Mine was really bad. On mine, 18 fuse was all the way in the back of the fuse box near the middle.

New User

Thanks for the input. Time to take out the VOM and bug it out. No easy fix I guess. This is what happens when an amateur messes with wires!!! G

Mine doesn't work sometimes and I just tap on the guage and it starts working.
    Chris

Had
    Too many that I wish I'd kept!

Have
    69 Mach 1 "M" Code
    82 GT 308(my 1st stang)
    82 GT T-top (a new beginning) Rebuild Thread
    71 Torino GT

In my experience the tach not working, but all the other gauges functioning properly is usually the wiring in the engine bay. The Tach gets it signal from the negative side of the coil. Use the wiring diagrams in the Stickies to verify your wiring colors and start at the coil and work your way back to the instrument cluster. Correct any issues as needed and you should have a working tach. If your stock wiring has been hacked up by previous owners you can run a new wire from the negative side of the coil all the way back to the instrument cluster pigtail and replace the original wire to correct any breaks, cuts, or issues in the engine bay.

Obviously you need to have the proper grounds and power for the instrument cluster for the tach to work. You also need a functioning tach and one that if switchable is set to the proper number of engine cylinders.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller