Close

Default GT40 VS Standard Headers

Is there a difference between headers for standard 302 (D80E) and GT40 (NOT P) heads? I can't seem to find any such info. The reason I ask is I got a screaming deal on a set of Hedman #85621 headers, but they say "GT40 heads only". For what I paid I could certainly modify them, but do I have to? Just wanted to know before they show up so I have a plan...

In my experience the same headers fit both GT40 heads and standard heads with no issues.

The GT40P heads have a different angle on the spark plug and this causes issues with some headers and some not so much. Most can use the standard/GT40 headers on GT40P heads and only require 90 Degree boots on the spark plug wires.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

The ad probably said GT40 only so no one bought them for GT40P heads then complained when they didn't fit right. I could not make stock headers work on my P heads, some have been able to. I have found out there is more than one style of stock header though. You should have no problems at all with the headers you bought.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

I may have just hit the header lottery then