Close

Thread: 84 gt

Default 84 gt

A few questions on a 84 gt. Was the black on the hood painted on or a decal? Was it gloss black or flat? Also on the front bumper was there some type of pinstriping around the headlight buckets? Is there somewhere i could find a pic of a 84 gt front end when it was new or something? Thanks

​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Painted flat black

No striping around the headlights. The flat black was painted, and a stripe ran around the hood and grill, the stripe color varies with the car color. Most are color matched, dark charcoal and black cars got silver stripes though. The GT on the hood was a decal and the color also varied with the car color, again with dark charcoal and black cars getting silver.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

The stripe stickers were also on the cowl panel. The stripe surrounded the "black out" treatment on the front end of the car, which was the cowl vent cover, the hood stripe, and the grill.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Thanks guys, I really have never seen one with all the factory stripes and paint in person. Mine is red and still has the black on the hood and stripes around the grille etc. The black is flat but dont look as good as i would like for it to look. What is a good paint to repaint it with? I dont wanna spray bomb it with spray paint. Also what company is good for getting the stripes and GT decal from? Mine are aged and starting to crack as they are still the original ones. Thanks

Ive looked at cj, latemodel, american muscle and all i can find are the hood "GT" and fender "GT" decals. I cant find the stripe that goes around the grille and hood stripe.

Phoenix Graphix has them and they are pretty good but not as good as the Ford originals. What color are you looking for?
    http://www.phoenixgraphix.com/ford/sk107.php

Looked on the link...i would consider my car to be bright red/ black (looks like the car on their site w/o t-top) but it says 1983 beside of that color selection. Are 83-84 gts the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Joestang View Post
    Looked on the link...i would consider my car to be bright red/ black (looks like the car on their site w/o t-top) but it says 1983 beside of that color selection. Are 83-84 gts the same?
    Not in terms of what Phoenix Graphix has available. The "burgundy" color they have listed for 1984 is actually the Medium Canyon Red Glow. I checked with them before when I was looking for the stripes for my car. I know that NPD sells the Phoenix stripes as well and they have pics of each color on their website.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Bright Red was an 84 color. I have a front bumper off a bright red 84 1/2 GT on my car now.

But to answer your question, yes, 83-84 stripes would be the same.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

"Bright Red" was an every year production color for Capris and Mustangs, just a different name/code depending on the year.

1979 = Bright Red (code 2P)
    1980 = Bright Red (27)
    1981 = Bright Red (27)
    1982 = Bright Red (27)
    1983 = Bright Red (27)
    1984 = Bright Canyon Red Metallic (2E)
    1985 = Bright Red (2R)
    1986 = Bright Red (2R)

http://www.foureyedpride.com/content...r-Paint-Colors
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

I pulled my 84 out of the woods last week..had it since high school ..its been out of commission for about 10 years
    81 t-top cpe
    84 Gt
    85 Gt
    80 CJ-7
    06 Harley
    06 F250 FX4