Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 86-64 - restomod in progress

Last June I purchased 86-64. The car had minor front end damage and had been wrecked at least one other time before. During the tear down it was discovered that the car has had the roof replaced once in its history.

86-64 has a 331 stroker and given its salvage history it was an easy decision to turn restore this car with some period correct upgrades along the way. The last 10 months have been fun hunting and finding parts, car is tore down right now and will be going to paint this weekend.

Can't wait to start putting it all back together!
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Looks good. I've seen it over at SCOA.
    What are your plans with this one?
    Current Cars:
    1979 Mustang Ghia Coupe 5.0 3J Bright Blue
    1984 GT T top 306 5 speed "Black Mamba"
    1986 Saleen Black with Silver Stripes 86#009
    1986 Mustang GT Medium Canyon Red 5 speed 5.0
    1999 Mustang GT Convertible 35th anniversary 69K miles.
    2002 Nissan Maxima 6 Speed "Daily Driver"
    2009 Corvette 6 speed LS3

1998 Cobra 71k miles Canary Yellow "Nana" SOLD

Good to see another one being saved!
    Chris Lott
    '81 Cobra T-Top - Black
    '85 Dominator GT - Black, 24k miles
    '85 Predator GT302R #150R - Light Regatta Blue
    '85 Predator GT302 Convertible #119 - White w/blue stripes For Sale
    '86 Texas DPS Mustang (Unit # unknown) - undergoing resto

This is gonna be awesome, I live those red wheels and Momo Master steering wheel. I also have a red Saleen but I have to work out the mechanicals before I can do anything with the body. I'll be watching your progress and living vicariously through you for awhile.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Plans are to be way over budget and to not see my wife for the next few weeks until the car is completed

Car is going back Jalapeno Red with all new graphics from PAS and red wheels. A few subtle changes will be made to the car - stock hood,svo sail panels, svo door panels ( scored from this site!) 93 cobra tailights, mustang logo hatch carpet, single din flip up screen, 2014 S302 Saleen floor mats.

Car has all new suspension, brakes,moldings, trim, carpet etc

I scored a ton of take off fabric from an Ebay auction earlier this year and used the best of the material to recover the seats they look great. I plan to have everything complete on the car except some minor dress up/ cosmetics under the hood. ( save that project for this winter)

Plan to have the car debut at the Roanoke Valley Mustang show on May 3rd and then drive the car 331 with 4:10 gears to Carlisle in June

Quote Originally Posted by 2002-168 View Post
    Plans are to be way over budget and to not see my wife for the next few weeks until the car is completed

Car is going back Jalapeno Red with all new graphics from PAS and red wheels. A few subtle changes will be made to the car - stock hood,svo sail panels, svo door panels ( scored from this site!) 93 cobra tailights, mustang logo hatch carpet, single din flip up screen, 2014 S302 Saleen floor mats.

Car has all new suspension, brakes,moldings, trim, carpet etc

I scored a ton of take off fabric from an Ebay auction earlier this year and used the best of the material to recover the seats they look great. I plan to have everything complete on the car except some minor dress up/ cosmetics under the hood. ( save that project for this winter)

Plan to have the car debut at the Roanoke Valley Mustang show on May 3rd and then drive the car 331 with 4:10 gears to Carlisle in June
    I think every Saleen owner is familiar with the term "over budget", ask me how i know? You mentioned you are recovering your seats, are you using SVO material to match the door panels you plan on using?
    I think it will look great. I have a set of SVO grey cloth interior in my attic and was tinkering with the idea of using them in my Saleen with some netted halos i have in storage. Not sure if i'm going to use them in the Saleen or the 84Gt t top. I want to mod my Saleen with a bunch of parts too but instead i'm using them on my 84. Take some pictures of your progress and post them up.
    Current Cars:

I have the factory seats and these were factory 85/86 take offs.... grey with the red piping.... do they make netted head rest that will fit the factory style seats? If so I may look into doing that

Also considering leather SVO parking brake - one on Evilbay for $70 now

I have the factory seats and these were factory 85/86 take offs.... grey with the red piping.... do they make netted head rest that will fit the factory style seats? If so I may look into doing that

Also considering leather SVO parking brake - one on Evilbay for $70 now
    Yes there is netted halo headrest that will fit those 85/86 seats. They came in the 1983 Mustangs only. They are rare and expensive but they are out there and make the seats look 100x better IMO. I have a set of them in my 98 cobra as well.
    Here is a picture of the ones i have installed on the cobra seats.
    Check the for sale postings on here, Mike has/had a pair for sale recently. I would've snatched them up already if I didn't have two sets.

Here is a link on them:
    Go to post #23, there is a pair of SVO/Motorsport seats with the netted halos on.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...s-fit-GT-Seats

I would try to match up the fabric of the seats to the door panels. So if you use the SVO door panels, go with the SVO seats or material.
    The SVO leather wrapped e brake handle is great. I'm going to use one on mine with a Motorsport leather shifter boot.
    I bought a leather e brake handle off a 98 cobra but I haven't tried to fit it into the 84-86 e brake to see if it fits properly. If you notice on the picture I Posted above, the SN cobras used a 2 piece leather wrapped handle.
    Current Cars:

Nice. Looking forward to following along with your progress.

JT
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

well ran into my first issue tonight -- the stock hood will not clear the Holley intake/spacer/valve cover set up currently on the car ... pulling valve cover tomorrow to see what rocker arms are on it and if I can swap valve covers, remove spacer and keep the Holley intake .... other option will be keep the cowl hood

Mamba - those headrest are bad donkey and are now on my shopping list! Thanks for the pic ... Your car looks mean and bada** too love these 4 eyed saleens

well ran into my first issue tonight -- the stock hood will not clear the Holley intake/spacer/valve cover set up currently on the car ... pulling valve cover tomorrow to see what rocker arms are on it and if I can swap valve covers, remove spacer and keep the Holley intake .... other option will be keep the cowl hood

Mamba - those headrest are bad donkey and are now on my shopping list! Thanks for the pic ... Your car looks mean and bada** too love these 4 eyed saleens
    Well that explains why it had a cowl hood on it when you bought it. What size carb and what kind of valve covers does it have on now? Maybe you can run a set of stock valve covers depending on the RR clearance. Also, measure the spacer to see what the width is. If it's anything bigger than a 1" spacer it will likely not clear a stock hood. I have a 600cfm Edelbrock with a 1" spacer in my 84gt and it clears the stock hood with 86 EFI valve covers.

Thanks for the compliment. Yeah these four eyed Saleens are awesome. When I saw 86#009 for Sale I jumped on it and brought it home.

Did you get a chance to drive your car with the 331 before you started to work on it? If so, how does it pull with that engine/head combo?
    Current Cars:

It's the Holley EFI Intake it has a huge spacer on it now to clear the tall valve covers. My guess is that like most people they put the tall covers on out of neccesity, so I will end up having to keep the cowl hood. I'll know for sure once I pull the valve cover off today.

After seeing this pic - I think I can live with the cowl hood

You could try convertible motor mounts, they are known to drop the engine about 3/4" lower.

Decided to stick with the cowl hood for now. I have a set of valve covers that I think will work if I remove the baffle, then remove the spacer and install vert motor mounts - I should be able to get it under a stock hood. I just don;t have time to do all of that right now, so I am going to move forward with the cowl hood and current engine set up.

I'll change the engine pieces and hood as a weekend project later this summer

What kind of heads does the 331 have currently?

Post some more pictures when you get a chance. I'd like to see the before and after pictures of the paint.
    Current Cars:

It has Edelbrock Aluminum heads on it with Crane rocker arms

Here are some pictures from last night - not alot of body work needed but off to a good start

Having a "sanding party" tonight ( all are welcome)

Weekend update - had hoped to get it painted today but severe thunderstorms are holding us up

Great weekend progress. Paint is gonna be the last step for my Saleen.
    Current Cars:

Weekend update - had hoped to get it painted today but severe thunderstorms are holding us up
    bummer about the weather.I know once it is painted you really do feel that you have just jumped the last major hurdle and are on the home straight to the finish line(well thats what it feels like to me anyway)push on you are nearly there.

Storms are rolling out today should be able to paint either this afternoon or in the morning. Last sunday we were able to get a few pieces painted off of the car. Seeing these painted and the rest of the car just sitting in the paint booth has been a big tease these last few days. Also got the seats cleaned up and looking pretty good

Did you car still have the 3rd brake light under the wing?
    I need to install mine but have no clue on how to install it.
    Current Cars:

Yes it does. I will be installing mine either Sunday or Monday. I will take some pictures for you. It just sticks on with 2 sided tape and has 2 wires.

I would imagine your wires are laying loose up in the hatch

Yes it does. I will be installing mine either Sunday or Monday. I will take some pictures for you. It just sticks on with 2 sided tape and has 2 wires.

I would imagine your wires are laying loose up in the hatch
    That would be great. Thanks
    Current Cars:

Mamba - I have not gotten to the 3rd brake light install yet, just running behind as usual but some progress has been made

These pics are such a tease --- I feel like it is so close yet so far from being done.... ( plan is to paint the wheels tonight)

Looks great so far, and it motivates me to push harder to get mine done. I was curious, are the lower stripes painted on or are they graphics? Those stripes are my favorite part about the exterior and yours look amazing. Can't wait to see it finished!
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast