Close

Default Surprising/Interesting replacement for ugly fox body tail lights

Hi all,

I'm continuing to work on performing many upgrades (all of the same time period) to my '81 Granada.

This past weekend, I helped a friend swap out a slightly dinged up tail lamp panel from a 1989 Town Car.

I jokingly told him I'd keep the old one and nail it to the Granada.

Well low and behold... it damn near fits! These photos are of the actual piece just pushed into place, and also of a photoshop job of how the final look would be. The red car is another photoshop of how I'd do the license plate.

I'll remove the plastic from behind the reflector lenses and insert proper tail lamp reflectors and bulbs. I'll of course get a piece that is in like new condition and use this beat up piece for test fitting and to fabricate the little end caps.

The pics do not do this justice, it looks incredible in person. You'll notice in the profile pic that the curvature is identical from the town car panel to the Granada's trunk lid.

More to come as the project continues. Sorry the car was so dirty.

Cheers,

Chris

Name:  granada rear option 1.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  122.1 KBName:  granada town car.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  110.2 KBName:  IMG_20140414_191146.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  105.4 KBName:  IMG_20140414_192011.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  42.6 KB
    Last edited by ToferCali; 04-15-2014 at 05:59 PM.

Pretty neat!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I like it
    Dan

1985 Lincoln Continental. T-5, Bullit wheels, Mustang springs and Hybrid Lincoln/Mustang control arms, 8.8 w 3.27s, Cobra swaybar, adjustable struts and shocks....

FEP Senior Member

Thats pretty nifty. Keep us posted on your progress.

Chuck

Thanks for all the kind comments. I've been told it looks like a Chrysler product which, obviously, is not exactly a positive thing (in my book).

But I really dig it.

Also ordered these badges from a first gen Granada which I think will suit the character of the new rear end better.

Name:  emblems.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  116.6 KB

Perhaps they see a little '81 Imperial in it...

Name:  81Imperial-rear.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  53.4 KB

-MJS

Yes! That is the mental connection I've been making too but couldn't remember the exact car.

Weird the license plate is half way up the trunk lid, but not a bad looking car otherwise.

Very Cool
    Aaron Puff
    Awareness Motorsports
    1985 Mustang LX Coupe - IHRA Crate Motor Stock - 1995 GT40P Ford Racing crate motor, Doug Nash 5 Speed
    1980 Fairmont Futura - Solid lifter 302, toploader 4 speed, 9 inch Detroit Locker with 3.89 gears

Spooky how close it is to fitting and matching the car's body style. I was thinking of welding a '68 Firebird tail panel on the back of a Fairmont and use the Firebird tail lights but it doesn't quite work in my mind's eye. Your Granada looks cool!
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura