Close

Default 85 GT thinking about rewiring with new guages(was CFI now carb)

So this car was born with an AOD trans and CFI and now has MSD and a carb setup. The guage cluster is still hooked up but I want to gut it out and rewire in new guages and remove the harness and computer altogether. I figure I can follow the circuits that are not controled by the computer and rewire them too. I will even rewire the fuse box with a custom one.
    The tachometer will just plug into my 6AL ignition so no questions there.
    The volts and temp souldn't be a problem either. (I hope)

Are the speedometers universal to my style cable?
    Is there a fuel guage to match the ohm range of my sending unit? Or is there a kit with both?
    Same question with the oil guage and sending unit. I dont want the tube style.

Thanks guys

All the Mustang/Capri gauges are electrical with the exception of the speedometer. The speedometer will require the proper adapter from Autometer or whichever manufacturer you choose. The other option, although a bit more expensive would be to use an electric speedometer and then use the VSS unit on the transmission to power the speedometer. The advantage is that it will allow you to correct your speedo to any gears and tires you have without some of the issues the speedo gears cause.

The fuel gauge requires you either match the OEM sending unit or you have to get the correct sending unit for the gauge and adapt it to the stock tank. IIRC the OEM sending unit is 73 ohms empty and 8-12 ohms full. This is the opposite of the 87-93 Mustang FYI

The oil pressure gauge usually come with their own sending units. I would also recommend getting a voltmeter in place of the OEM Amp meter gauge.

Good luck with your gauge swap and if you haven't already check out the MC-Machine Dash Plate for the installation of aftermarket gauges. It doesn't get any cooler than that!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks Trey,
    I have a piece of aluminum I will use as a holding bracket and gut the instrument cluster.
    I think I can find a new fuel guage to match the ohm range of a new sending unit.
    And of course I'm getting a voltmeter, You already know what I'm thinking bro.

Felix