Close

Thread: Hey Everybody

Default Hey Everybody

Im trying to find out more about the 1985 capri 5.0 5 speed I just bought yesterday.
    Would someone be able to decifer my vin for me. It seems to be a base model, just has a sun roof no power options, has a 5 speed and a 5.0 H.O. in it. my vin is 1MEBP79M3FF611423 .
    Has a factory hood scoop and I think the rear trunk fin is a mustang one as it has a centre light but no wiring to the hatch for it.
    It runs like a champ and starts second crank every time. no smoke and crazy power.
    Under body has factory thick under coating, no rust. Picked her up for 2100.00 canadian.
    Fell in love first drive

Congrats on the purchase! ! Post up some pics and of the door tag!!!

If you can post a quality picture of your door sticker and also your buck tag that will provide Fox Chassis with the best information to be able to decode your Fox. The buck tag should be located on the radiator support usually just behind the driver side headlights. It will be a stamped piece of metal usually attached to the radiator support with a phillips head screw. It can be difficult sometimes to see it or even get to it, but hopefully it's still there.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

hello, it should have the capri bubble hatch glass, completely different than the flat mustang hatch glass,
    *FOXTOBERFEST* 2015 http://www.foxmustangrestoration.com/events
    85 T Top coupe 5.0 2R red, E7's, rpm intake, 4180 carb, 7.4 1/8
    83 CC capri 5.0 5 speed,black mesh wheels
    76 cobra II 302 auto black/gold, big cam 3 inch dumps- sold to a good friend
    92 coupe 5.0 5 speed -red
    92 Lx hatch 5.0 5 speed -black, 66 coupe 5.0 4 spd (project)
    87 Vert 5.0 AOD red stock as a rock

" Are you sure you know what you're talking about? It kinda sounds like you know what you're talking about"

Default Thank you for the response everyone

Thanks guys will post tags after work today, and I thought the rear hatch was wrong, must have been been changed by the previous owner, im looking for an original one now. I want to keep it as original as possible.
    There are only 3 capris in the city and 2 are rusted out beyond repair, such a shame, really cool cars.

FEP Supporter

Welcome to the site from the other side of the Rockies. You'll find the answers you are looking for here. Don't forget the pictures! My sons 79 Mustang coupe originally came from Kelowna.

Another BC member was looking at another Capri in Kelowna last year: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...00-(Kelowna-BC)

Here is the site decoder thanks to FoxChassis: http://www.foureyedpride.com/content...51-VIN-Decoder

You can also get some decode info here: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ULTIPLE-Models

And here: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...Block-Mercury)
    Last edited by 82GTforME; 04-12-2014 at 02:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

Name:  DSCF2390.JPG
Views: 21
Size:  218.8 KBName:  DSCF2391.JPG
Views: 15
Size:  211.9 KBName:  DSCF2398.JPG
Views: 21
Size:  210.1 KBName:  DSCF2338.JPG
Views: 27
Size:  214.0 KBName:  DSCF2336.JPG
Views: 22
Size:  214.8 KB

long day at work,lol, found buck tags and build sheet and no door tags as they were romoved for paint and not replaced, grrrrr, and some pics of car.
    Hope this helps to find info on the car, I really appreciate the help from you all.

VIN
    1ME = Mercury vehicle manufactured in USA
    B = active belts, no airbags
    P = passenger car
    79 = Capri 3-dr hatchback
    M = H.O. 5.0L V8 engine
    3 = VIN check digit
    F = 1985 model year
    F = Dearborn Assembly
    611423 = 11,423rd 1985 Mercury scheduled for production at Dearborn Assembly

Buck Tag
    CAPRI = Capri model line
    611423 = 11,423rd 1985 Mercury scheduled for production at Dearborn Assembly
    61D = Capri 3-dr hatchback
    M = H.O. 5.0L V8 engine
    MO = mooroof (sunroof)
    0217 = rotations # 0217
    1CC = Black exterior paint color
    DF
    ST
    RA = road abrasion (lower bodyside protection)
    HB = heated backlite (rear defrost)
    MBW = manual Borg Warner transmission (5-speed T-5)
    EL
    -A = Charcoal/Grey interior trim color
    X
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 04-13-2014 at 05:21 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Name:  DSCF2341.JPG
Views: 23
Size:  211.6 KBName:  DSCF2333.JPG
Views: 20
Size:  212.3 KBName:  DSCF2381.JPG
Views: 17
Size:  209.9 KB

Some more pics of car, paint needs a new coat of clear but looks ok for now. everything works great inside and out and it has 166,000 km on it, drives nice and tight, can let go of the steering wheel and it will drive straight for about 15 sec, came with a set of new winters on rims, ( not driving it in winter ever, needs to be a summer cruiser only) . can use these to trade for a proper hatch when I find one..

Thanks for all that info, You guys are awesome on this forum... Had dmv check the vin on the car and it is proper, just missing door tags, sign of a painter not being concerned about the important pieces. All good as it wont be a show car.

Welcome to FEP, looks like you got your needed info at lighting speed. Nice Capri, have fun cruising...
    1983 GT 5.0L CONVERTIBLE (CLONE) Daily Driver
    1976 COBRA II RESTOMOD

Thanks for all the great comments, have a great story for you all.....
    Went for a trip around town tonight and about half a hr into it while cruising with traffic I see red and blues in my rear view.
    Im thinking to myself , I wasnt doing anything wrong, so pulled over.
    The police man comes up to my door and asks me if this is a 5,o capri 5 speed,lol, I said you bet it is.
    He said he pulled me over to see if it was as he had one when he was young and wanted to check it out,lol.
    He was full of cool information about capris and told me he loved his when he was young.
    I gave him my work address and told him to come by sometime and take it for a rip, he was like a kid, was pretty funny.
    I laughed all the way home .

Can you post a larger image of the build sheet?

This is one of those 1985 GS 5.0L/5-speeds that is not "by the book". According to the books...

1. If you ordered a GS with the 5.0L engine, it was supposed to be available only with the auto (AOD) transmission. The 5.0L/T-5 was supposed to be available only in the RS (called "Capri 5.0L" in the U.S. shortly after the 1985 model year started).
    2. All models (GS and RS/Capri 5.0L) were supposed to have power windows as standard equipment. This car does not have them and neither the buck tag nor the build sheet has the code.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 04-25-2014 at 06:48 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Man looks amazing! !!! Love it

if it helps my capri is an 85 rs 5 speed only has a sunroof option no power locks

Name:  DSCF2499.JPG
Views: 15
Size:  209.8 KBName:  DSCF2498.JPG
Views: 11
Size:  213.6 KB
    Hey Everybody, sorry have been swamped with work, spent 4 hrs cut polishing the paint on my little beauty, she has a deep chocolate in the black, turned out real nice, took her for a good long drive, ran like a top, at 65 miles a hr in 5th gear it is reving a 1500 rpm, she likes to stretch her legs, the build sheet is pretty weathered but I can decifer what info you need to find out why it is a base model with a 5 speed and a ho. 5.o ltr, sunroom, no power windows or locks, has rear defrost, pulse wipers, tilt wheel, factory rims, kind of confusing to me too guys.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70379[/ATTACH
    Here are some pics of build sheet, in the right light I can read most of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name:  DSCF2393.JPG
Views: 12
Size:  214.1 KBName:  DSCF2398.JPG
Size:  210.1 KBName:  DSCF2396.JPG
Size:  209.9 KB

86 50CPRI

Well, the 5 bar grille was an earlier year piece, IIRC. Not sure about the chrome headlamp bezels... Being that it is a GS, but not RS, I can see the air dam not being present. Odd! Usually, 5.0 cars had the 'sport' equipment. Maybe it was a Canadian difference?

Love the car! Best of luck with it.. I know the feeling of falling in love on the first test drive. Happened to me twenty five years ago with my 86..

Great looking Capri, congrats! If I read one of your earlier posts correctly you said that your car no longer has its door tag? If thats the case, Marti Auto Works makes reproduction door tags, if you ever want to replace it. I got one for my old 86GT because mine was so faded I could no longer read it. They did a great job, it looked just like the factory tag.

I just wanted to give you a heads up on that. Have fun with the car.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

The door tag codes should be like so...

Date - 03/84
    Exterior Paint Colors - 1C
    DSO - ??
    Body - 61D
    Int Trim - FA
    A/C - E
    R - ?
    S - C
    Ax - M
    Tr - 2??SS
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Thanks guys, I noticed the build sheet says may 1984 at the top but dmv has it registered as a 1985. It has to be a canadian model as it seems to be unique . I know I get the teenager excitement every time I take it out. My son who is 25yrs old wants it , lol, told him it is my toy to baby and enjoy, hee hee.
    Does anyone know a good way to polish the factory rims. would like them to shine if possible.
    Thanks