Close

Thumbs down Tokico Blues (HP Series) on Back Order Since NOVEMBER!

I ordered some Tokico Blues on Saturday, the rear shocks from Maximum Motorsports, and the fronts from Mustangs Unlimited, since MM doesn't carry them for some reason. Didn't find out until after the fact they are on back order. MM at least had the decency to email me about it. Mustangs Unlimited just left it for me to find out.

My question is this: What do they have to lose actually having something on the product page BEFORE YOU BUY THEM that lets you know they don't have them in stock? I mean, you're just going to make people unhappy that way.

Anyway, just thought I'd spread the news about the back order. The U.S. wholesaler went bankrupt. I certainly didn't know that and would have appreciated knowing beforehand. So, any place that says they have them in stock, or gives no indication like most, probably actually doesn't.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

Nice shocks, I have these on my 91 notch.

Hate to say it but there is another very popular patrs supplier for your cars hint hint that has done that backorder crap to me on several occasions. They take your money then say Oh by the way that part is on backorder. Not cool
    85 GT Vert 5 Speed 42K original miles As of right now Stock to the bone well not so much bolt ons going on

Quote Originally Posted by vascj View Post
    Nice shocks, I have these on my 91 notch.
    Yeah, I'd sure like to have them! My plan is to wait... for now...
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

Worth the wait.

Mustangs Unlimited had my rear Tokico Illuminas on backorder for 6-7 months; each time I called they would tell me the manufacturers delivery date had been pushed back another couple of months. They never bothered to inform me, I had to call and ask. Never did buy them, as I found a used pair on CL that seem OK, but I would rather have had new. Wasn't real pleased with their cust svc. Lately I get the feeling when I call to place an order that I'm disturbing their day and they have better things to do. Oops, that turned into a rant...
    86 GT vert
    86 LX vert
    86 coupe

I guess we should be grateful that they keep producing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Radarluv View Post
    Hate to say it but there is another very popular patrs supplier for your cars hint hint that has done that backorder crap to me on several occasions. They take your money then say Oh by the way that part is on backorder. Not cool
    More than once for me also.

Mustangs Unlimited was lucky I decided to give them a chance. I doubt I'll buy anything from them in the future. I will always pay more for a site I know has good communication like Late Model Restoration. MM deserves credit for emailing me about the back order thing, but I really would have preferred to know to begin with.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I saw that a company called Motovicity signed an agreement to distribute Tokico products last fall. They have a pretty active Facebook page, so I messaged them on there to see if they can give me any info.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

FEP Senior Member

I put the Tokico blues on the front of my 86 last year. I really like them. When I went to get the rears nobody had them. I am still going to get the backs, but I am waiting to find a supplier.
    1986 Notchback, Recently repainted Light Regatta Blue(3J) and getting put back the way it should be. It had a 3.8 and a C5. Now it has a 5.0 and a T5.

Well, I heard back. They told me they will be filling Mustang orders starting in mid-May. So, I guess depending on how many there are...

If you want to contact them yourself the email address is: tokicoinfo@motovicity.com
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Koni's are still on sale, STR's have a nice price these days....

Just emailed Motovicity again. Now looking at late June, early July. (SSSIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH)
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Even though the tokiocs are nice shocks... why not just spend the extra cash and get a better shock like Billstien or Koni?
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

from my personal experience, I thought the tokico blues handled better and drove nicer on these fox bodies than both Bilstein or Koni. Just my personal opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    I ordered some Tokico Blues on Saturday, the rear shocks from Maximum Motorsports, and the fronts from Mustangs Unlimited, since MM doesn't carry them for some reason. Didn't find out until after the fact they are on back order. MM at least had the decency to email me about it. Mustangs Unlimited just left it for me to find out.

My question is this: What do they have to lose actually having something on the product page BEFORE YOU BUY THEM that lets you know they don't have them in stock? I mean, you're just going to make people unhappy that way.

Anyway, just thought I'd spread the news about the back order. The U.S. wholesaler went bankrupt. I certainly didn't know that and would have appreciated knowing beforehand. So, any place that says they have them in stock, or gives no indication like most, probably actually doesn't.
    This is the single biggest complaint I've always had with MU, besides the fact they tend to be more expensive than other vendors. I'll only buy from them if absolutely necessary.

Personally, I am partial to the Tokico Illumina 5-ways. Got them from a friend for $300 and I must say they are awesome. Tokico is a great brand!
    Last edited by 86GTdriver; 05-29-2014 at 02:10 PM.
    '86 Mustang GT T-Top, 5-lug Cobra brake swap done
    '96 Mustang Cobra 302rwhp 296rwtq, Sold and missed
    '11 Mustang GT/CS, Traded and will be missed
    '13 Taurus SHO, Performance Pack, hit and run, totalled
    '17 Fusion Sport, Livernois tune, Steeda CAI, Steeda Rear Swaybar, Big Mouth Ram Air, GFB+ valve, Steeda Catch can, TTR FMIC (Garrett Core)

I got Koni STR's from The Mustang Shop in Calgary. I had to wait 4 minutes for him to go in the back, take them off the shelf and slide them over the counter. :-) I'm too old to wait for flakey companies to get their ducks in a row. They are good people. I noticed they had the Tokico's on their website. I wonder if it would be worth it giving them a call to see if they have existing stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Marz View Post
    Even though the tokiocs are nice shocks... why not just spend the extra cash and get a better shock like Billstien or Koni?
    I just can't justify spending what Bilsteins cost. I mean, DAMN. I may go the Koni route if I have to wait too much longer.

I heard back from another guy at Motovicity. He said the struts will be available next week (we'll see. I'll start bugging Mustangs Unlimited then). But they have to find someone to make a bushing for the rear shocks, as the previous manufacturer went out of business. He said he's been personally working on it. It was kind of cool to hear from the actual guy who is working on it. Motovicity seems to be a good company. Hopefully they can deliver.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

FEP User

Just curious, I'm looking to get shocks soon: Are there different part numbers for the early foxes than for the say 93 year cars? I have the 86gt vert.

Are you talking about rear shocks? I think those are the same from '79-93.

My struts showed up today! There is hope, Tokico fans!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Update: The needed bushing is now in production. Still looking at early July for rear shock distribution.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

As an FYI. When we found out that the Tokico distributor had gone bankrupt, we pulled all of the Tokico products down from the MM website. Once we were told that the new distributor was setup and about to deliver product, we started by putting up only the models that were supposed to be shipping. Then the new delays started.

Also the shock eyelet design is different between the 7.5" and 8.8" models.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

My friends, this journey we've gone on together will soon draw to a close. It seems Tokico production is in full swing. My new shock will be shipped in the next few days.

My order with MM was so old that it had expired. I mean, I didn't mind. It's probably good they do that to keep your credit information safe. I just thought it was funny. Special thanks to Brian Gust at MM for putting up with my bugging him every few weeks. Also Kevin Hayes and Joshua Lynn at Motovicity.
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 09-08-2014 at 10:51 AM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

It showed up! It's a miracle! (sobs uncontrollably with joy)
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST