Close

Default Fuel line restriction?

Having a problem with my 79 Fairmont Futura (200 I6).

Had a BRUTAL winter here, multiple below 0 days, didn't get the car out over the winter, is stored outside in an open carport.

Only had 2 or 3 gallons of gas in it when it got cold out (I know, I know...) Went to start it a few days ago and it wouldn't fire... Runs great on starting fluid. Added 2 gallons of premium thinking it might help, no dice. Was told it probably got condensation/water in the line or tank, was recommended to use a bottle of Heet.

Used bottle of Heet, let it set a day, still no dice. Went out today and tried again, starting fluid still works... Started by pulling the fuel line off the carb, no gas when cranking... Hooked it back up, and pulled the outflow line off the fuel pump itself... Basically got some residual "splash" but nothing actually pumped out when the motor was cranking...

Where do I go from here? Can I take the inflow line off the fuel pump and use some light compressed air and try to blow any clog back? Isn't there a filter sock on the intake in the tank and would air blow it off/damage it?

Car has under 40k miles (original) and fuel pump hasn't been replaced by me since I've owned the car, but looks brand new (nice and shiny). Could it be a bad fuel pump, or is a blockage in the line more likely due to it sitting over the winter and gas possibly going bad?

Thanks! Gotta get my baby running!

When I left my car parked for 2 years, it would not start either. Except with starting fluid.
    I tried the air thing, disconnecting it from the tank and pump and blew air through the line.
    Since no gas came out of the pump output when cranking, I bought a new pump on eBay for about $15.00 shipped. Started fine after replacement.
    Lots of FREE F/Z info on my site.
    http://myzephyrs.com

its possible that you have a clogged line, but i would suspect a bad fuel pump first.
    64 falcon
    66 mustang
    05 grand marquis

dont just believe in miracles, rely on them!

fordsix.com admin

Quote Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
    its possible that you have a clogged line, but i would suspect a bad fuel pump first.
    Well looks like I know what I'm doing Saturday... (if not fishing, lol!)

I was surprised that bad fuel pump seems to be considered more likely over clogged line. I guess age takes its toll more than mileage?

in your case yes. consider that you didnt use the car over the winter, one that was particularly bad, and likely you dont have a heated garage, so the fuel pump diaphragm, being as old as it is, decided to pack up and go to the great fuel pump in the sky.
    64 falcon
    66 mustang
    05 grand marquis

dont just believe in miracles, rely on them!

fordsix.com admin

Quote Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
    in your case yes. consider that you didnt use the car over the winter, one that was particularly bad, and likely you dont have a heated garage, so the fuel pump diaphragm, being as old as it is, decided to pack up and go to the great fuel pump in the sky.
    True. Hadn't really looked at it that way. And yes, as stated, it is stored in an open carport, as I have no garage... Didn't even think about the diaphragm cracking with age and extreme temps...

Shes up and running! Had to replace the small section of fuel line connecting the hardline as well.

Now to get the idle adjusted again like I seem to be doing every year... lol.