Close

Unhappy Need help identifying this part

I have been looking on the other forums and such, but no one seems to know for certain what this part it. I know it's not the voltage regulator and it's not the starter relay, which while certainly helpful, does not solve the problem. I need to buy a pigtail to replace deteriorated wiring, but that's difficult if you don't know what your buying it for.

Name:  what is it.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  88.2 KB

Anyone know what it is?

I think you could start by calling it a relay, for what I don't know.
    *FOXTOBERFEST* 2015 http://www.foxmustangrestoration.com/events
    85 T Top coupe 5.0 2R red, E7's, rpm intake, 4180 carb, 7.4 1/8
    83 CC capri 5.0 5 speed,black mesh wheels
    76 cobra II 302 auto black/gold, big cam 3 inch dumps- sold to a good friend
    92 coupe 5.0 5 speed -red
    92 Lx hatch 5.0 5 speed -black, 66 coupe 5.0 4 spd (project)
    87 Vert 5.0 AOD red stock as a rock

" Are you sure you know what you're talking about? It kinda sounds like you know what you're talking about"

You mind giving us a bit more info than a vague picture of a Fox-chassied car's pass side engine bay?
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

it is a relay of some sort, perhaps the horn relay? i say pull the part, take it to a parts store and buy the required pigtail. they are going to be similar anyway.
    64 falcon
    66 mustang
    05 grand marquis

dont just believe in miracles, rely on them!

fordsix.com admin

Blog Entries

It is also difficult if we do not know what you have. Year, model, motor and some options are helpful.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post
    You mind giving us a bit more info than a vague picture of a Fox-chassied car's pass side engine bay?
    It's a 1983 Mustang GL hatchback with the venerable 3.8L Essex V6 mated to a C5. I didn't include this earlier because this part appears in most every fox engine bay I've seen.
    Last edited by 04BlueGT; 03-29-2014 at 05:25 PM.

Blog Entries

Not in my '83. My car also has no options, so I would lean toward a relay for power doors, locks, etc. Not really helpful, I know, but I have to dig out the schematics to be sure.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Not a power accessory, as I have cranks for windows and thumbs for door locks. I think it's time to visit Carolina Mustang.

Is there a Ford part number on it?? If so...give a Ford dealer a call!!

I have a 1983 Mustang GLX Convertible and it has no such relay
    83 Mustang GLX conv (in sonic blue)4.3/SC -coming soon! "Project Baby"
    1988 Lincoln Town Car Limousine, Crafted by American Custom Coach Works- "Project Bertha"

proud member:
    10 Hole Mafia
    Anti-cowl club
    Bent Six Bastards, lol

A/C WAC (wide-open throttle A/C cut-off) relay?
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

I wonder the same thing......have that piece on both my 85 4-cyl and the 88 5.0......both have/had AC and a auto.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Well, turns out that whatever it is, no one knows and it doesn't seem to affect anything, so I've replaced the bad wires by re-pinning the stock connector with new wires about 24" long. The wire insulation was degraded that far back.

So, problem seemingly solved. At least that one. Now I need some help and a picture. Can anyone post a picture of how the rear section of the stock tailpipe is connected to the insulator? I just got a new tailpipe in (old one tossed months ago) and it has a welded bracket, but nothing to attach to the insulator. I've searched the Internet and have found zero, zilch, nada, nothing, etc.

One simple, yet clear, photograph of the stock attachment would be most excellent.

Thanks,
    04BlueGT

Oops, I had asked what year and engine but I see you put it up above. The pipe should just bolt to the hanger with two bolts, can you post a picture of your hanger and the new tailpipe?
    Last edited by Travis T; 07-23-2014 at 10:32 AM.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    A/C WAC (wide-open throttle A/C cut-off) relay?
    This.....
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

That's just it - I don't have a hanger. It went in the trash with the old exhaust. I had no idea it was no longer made (as far as I can tell).
    =====================
    2015 GT 5.0 w/6-spd
    2004 GT 4.6 w/T3650 (sold)
    1993 LX 2.3 w/T5
    1983 GL 3.8 w/C5