Close

Thumbs up 85 Cougar is gonna growl now!

Just won a set of BBK shorty headers and a dynomax super turbo muffler. 2.5" in/out. Just gonna swap them onto my dads old kitty once they arrive. Its a cfi set up which he likes(me, not so much) and he won't let me convert it so I just wanna help it flow alil better and def sound better. He doesn't want it loud(he's 67 and has a lead foot still) haha. Anyways, I was thinking just the muffler swap(its a single exhaust) and the headers will make the cougar growl better under acceleration. Also, I noticed that his tailpipe is only 2" past the muffler. What gives? I think I'll just take it to my buddies shop and have him do the whole install and bend me a 2 1/4" tail pipe to replace that 2" rusted one. Never thought a 5.0 power plant would have such a wimpy tailpipe. But thanks for the input as to a good quiet performance muffler. My choice was a borla pro xs as I love them but heard the super turbo was a hair quieter.
    You guys continue to rock and I love reading these post and def following the build threads

Anything you do to that puny 2" exhaust will increase power and help it rev better!

Myself I would go with 2.5" from cat back to tailpipe..... Or better yet a complete dual exhaust system.

The price of high flow cats has come way down too...... Also worth getting.

won????? sounds like a good deal!! congrats!!

Quote Originally Posted by STANGMAN116 View Post
    won????? sounds like a good deal!! congrats!!
    My guess is eBay, or another online auction.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

You'll have to do some work to the exhaust to make the headers fit too.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

. After shipping($17.83) my winning bid was $108.83. Guy stated in the description that they were used for about 8 months then he went with long tube. Ceramic coated at that.

@PaceFever, yeah, I am going to eventually run dials as I already have a double hump xmember. Just waiting for his green light to strip off that central flush injection system. 2.5" xpipe with some borlas would sound sick. But when that happens, the engine will also have aluminum heads, a nice trickflow cam, 3.55 gears and who knows what else as of yet. Gotta wait on him to realize you never get too old to enjoy a small block that is built. Lol.

@TopGear85, yes, it was eBay.

currently installing new plugs today, fuel filter, frpp wires, new battery cables and some amber 194 leds in the park lamps. Waiting on those exhaust parts, mini starter, and efan stuff to arrive. I figure all these can be continued for use once the cfi us gone and in the mean time, assist some power gains(minimal I know) but mainly clean up the engine bay some and reduce some weight.

@ A Travis, what type of work will need done per say?? Was gonna drop it off at my buddies exhaust shop and have him mount them with some grade 8 header bolts and fab new down pipes since I read I will need them. The current cats(2) are both good and although I hate mixin new piping with old(just for the sence it doesn't look as pretty), I was gonna retain the factory y pipe up front then redo it from the muffler back with 2 1/4 tail pipe.

gotta post a video of before & after! pics too!
    86 GT WORKinPROGRESS

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear85 View Post
    My guess is eBay, or another online auction.
    lol makes sense i was half asleep...

The Y pipe won't bolt directly up to the headers as they are different than what is on your car now. I don't remember what the differences are though. I've heard you can put a Lincoln Mark VII dual exhaust system on these cars though.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Seriously, I would go true duals and completely get rid of the cats. Some of those things make better corks than most corks do.

It won't be obnoxiously loud with those mufflers. If you open the exhaust up and intake, you will get more power and better mileage.

My 2002 GT with the 4.6 is getting right around 30 mpg.
    1985 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible
    2002 Mustang GT
    1999 F-150 XL
    1999 Explorer XLT 5.0 AWD

I went with the super turbo because I have been following threads on which mufflers to run as for keeping it quiet. Was between walker and dynomax super turbos. Almost went magnaflow but didnt wanna drop alot just on a muffler that will be temp. Next week, my parts should arrive and I'll probably just take em all into the shop and run ideas by the owner and his crew and see what we can do. Dad only puts 50-75 miles a week on his car if even that. But likes to get on it in traffic sometimes. I figured the dynomax and a 1/4" tailpipe will benefit mpg and a hair better power for the time being. Definitely better than the factory muffler and 2" tailpipe.