Close

Default Fuel sender interchangeability?

The newest pony in the stallion is the '80 hatchback. Somebody swapped a T'bird 1993 302 EFI into it, and it does have the late fox EFI fuel tank in it.

Yep, the gas gauge is not working due to different ohms on the gauge.

Are the early fox fuel sending units interchangeable to the 87-93 fuel tank?
    '79 Indy Pace Car V8 / Aut
    '79 Indy Pace Car L4 Turbo / Man
    '84 Capri RS V8 / T5
    '65 Fastback Shelby GT-350 replica

Yes, the '83-'86 EFI tank senders have the same physical construction as the '87+ senders, just with
    a different resistance strip. The senders for the carbureted cars, however, are completely different.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    Yes, the '83-'86 EFI tank senders have the same physical construction as the '87+ senders, just with
    a different resistance strip. The senders for the carbureted cars, however, are completely different.
    Can you elaborate on this? Do you mean they are a different physical shape or simply different resistance values?

I'm going thorough a similar issue with an 85' notch. It is running an 86' EFI computer and what I assume to be an 87' or newer tank. At this point, I don't know what the car started life as, but I was told it was originally a 4 cyl. car. It has a factory boost gauge in the cluster, not functioning obviously, but I'm not sure the cluster is original to the car.

I read the sending unit article. Basically all it told me was the difference in resistance range between the pre and post 86' cars.

Lucky bastards. It's not nearly that simple on non-Mustangs.

I really doubt the resistance range is different between carb and EFI cars.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    I really doubt the resistance range is different between carb and EFI cars.
    The resistance range was not different between the carbureted and EFI cars, up through 1986. They
    all used the same fuel gauge regardless of carb or EFI. But the senders used in EFI Mustangs were a
    completely different design, and that same Mustang EFI sender design, with a different resistance strip,
    was used from '87 through '97.
    Last edited by JACook; 04-03-2014 at 09:08 AM.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

The resistance range was not different between the carbureted and EFI cars, up through 1986. They
    all used the same fuel gauge regardless of carb or EFI. But the senders used in EFI Mustangs were a
    completely different design, and that same Mustang EFI sender design, with a different resistance strip,
    was used from '87 through '97.
    im having trouble finding a fuel sending unit for my 79 cobra v8.. any ideas or suggestions for this? will newer model sending units work with my gas guage/tank?

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the holy grail of sending units for an 85-86 gauge cluster with an 87+ tank? Am I looking at doing something like what is outlined in the article?

Quote Originally Posted by huffed98snake View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is the holy grail of sending units for an 85-86 gauge cluster with an 87+ tank? Am I looking at doing something like what is outlined in the article?
    Any sending unit for a car that had EFI '86 or before (for example the '86 model 5.0L V8 engine), sounds like to me.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual