Close

Default ALL Power windows not working

STORM ROLLING IN! My windows wouldn't work a few days ago, then mysteriously started again. Stopped again today and will not work. Power locks won't work also none of the individual switches. Checked all fuses, have 12V at switch.
    Will a bad switch itself stop all windows?
    Last edited by DSTdrummer; 03-23-2014 at 12:38 PM.

Plug test: have continuity between each, "pair" of wires on each of the respective switch plugs, and between the black wire and ground to body.

Switch test: continuity along the terminals and in each switch with it "up" and "down".

UPDATE:
    I just tested the switch with it in the car. With my meter grounded to the door or the ground wire in the plug, and everything plugged in, I do not get 12V on any button, either side, up or down. But, I DO get 12V when operating the driver window button ONLY with it unplugged from the motor, but nothing on any other button with it unplugged. I am in search of a switch. Josh at Encore Mustang Parts replied to my post on Facebook, $90 shipped.

I guess I'll be the only one posting. Lol. Used jumper and got them up. Switch then?

Sometimes I know how you feel, yes connection on switch. They pop out and can be cleaned and put back in, try that too. The passenger window gets its power from the driver, so driver is in control and needs to have power first, then it powers the passenger window.
    Rob

current cars:
    83 GT Convertible
    83 Project GT T-Top Coupe
    84 GT T-Top Hatch
    86 GT Hatch low mile car
    00 V-6 Convertible

all white cars!

Default ALL Power windows not working

Thanks for the reply.
    I was looking at the switch and wanted to take it apart but wasn't sure how to do it. When I used the jumper wire, I did it through the switch. Grounded it, stuck positive in the correct side of the button, and pushed the switch while applying power. That saved me from having to take off the other panels. Now here's a question. Passenger side door lock actuator has been stuck since I bought the car but driver side worked. Is it a coincidence that it stopped at the same time? It works intermittently, but I wouldn't think the window switch would matter with locks.

Depends. That an '86 convertible you're working on? The power feed to the power window system on the
    convertibles is very different from the system on the notch/hatch. The power feed for the convertible power
    windows comes from a fusible link at the starter relay, not from the fuse panel. The fuse panel circuit that
    would power the windows on a notch/hatch powers only a relay under the left end of the dash, that prevents
    operating the windows without the key. The rest of the convertible power window system is a direct lift from
    the Fairmont/Zephyr twins.

The power locks on an '86 are fed from fuse 10 in the panel, regardless of body type.
    Last edited by JACook; 03-20-2014 at 12:32 AM.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

does your solenoid look anything like this? the black wire/white stripe is hooked to a relay/fuse/circuit btreaker that works door locks, etc.

Last edited by FM2NOTCH; 03-19-2014 at 08:10 PM.
    *FOXTOBERFEST* 2015 http://www.foxmustangrestoration.com/events
    85 T Top coupe 5.0 2R red, E7's, rpm intake, 4180 carb, 7.4 1/8
    83 CC capri 5.0 5 speed,black mesh wheels
    76 cobra II 302 auto black/gold, big cam 3 inch dumps- sold to a good friend
    92 coupe 5.0 5 speed -red
    92 Lx hatch 5.0 5 speed -black, 66 coupe 5.0 4 spd (project)
    87 Vert 5.0 AOD red stock as a rock

" Are you sure you know what you're talking about? It kinda sounds like you know what you're talking about"

How in the world did I miss these replies? At any rate, it is a convertible. I split the switch and cleaned it all out and it works. It was glued together so I had to super glue it. Everything worked after that. It glitches on me today, of course another storm is coming in a bit. But I flipped the window lock button and they started working again. I had a guy with one in a parts car I was going to pick up for $40 shipped, but he tested it and it's bad also. I posted a WTB tread.
    Here's what it looked like inside:

Donnie

'86 GT Convertible
    Jalapeņo Red w/Oxford White Leather

Also, I heard that relay click under the dash when putting the circuit breaker in. I was going to ask about that but I figured out the switch was the problem before digging too far in to that.

Donnie

'86 GT Convertible
    Jalapeņo Red w/Oxford White Leather