Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Duey782 View Post
    This car was recently sold from my home town. It's a rust bucket. The material is only the center portion of the seats but the decal kit is genuine.
    Duane, that's for the feedback. I wonder what it sold for from the PO? The guy that is selling currently says he restores cars for a living. There must be a reason he decided to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    Don't walk, run away from that one. I bet the shell is pretty toasty. If you don't want to take on a massive project, this isn't the car for you. What you can't see will be bad.
    What a shame. I was getting pumped from the first pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by PaceFever79 View Post
    Unless you are a good body man and welder And painter, I think you should think twice. It has rust in all the wrong areas, like it was driven in the snow and salt early in its life. Once you get in there and start grinding and cutting you will find that it needs front frame rails, and both floor pans, the doors are rotted on the bottom lip and need replaced, both quarter wells will need work, and most likely it needs a roof skin. It can and should be saved by a good body man, but this is not a project for a novice. The value of the car is actually less than its parts value. For restoration I would pay no more than $1500 for the car, it needs a lot of work. I'd pass unless you are ready and willing to take a big multiple year project where you will invest a lot of time, money, and learning new skills to complete. You will also need a well stocked garage with lots of tools.

This is not a project for a novice.
    Again, I appreciate the feedback. With all of the new pictures and the feedback from the forum, I am agreeing starting to agree with you now. As ambitious as I have been lately, this could be something that could break one's spirit in the long run.

The seller restores cars and he's bailing on it? Yeah that is not a good sign at all.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

FEP Supporter

I wondered the same thing but I got the "I dont have time for every project" reply. He did reply to my email stating he has another 5.0 PC but it is an auto. He said he may let it go for $2500. We'll see once I get back from vacation next month. I'm not going to hold my breath on it though.

I also noticed the $10K+ car on the east coast is an auto as well. http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/...back/501866795

Maybe things happen for a reason. This one wasn't for me. Maybe I'll find another in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    The seller restores cars and he's bailing on it? Yeah that is not a good sign at all.
    Hahahaha

RUN AWAY!!!!!! Too much for a professional? Pass.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

If he had sat on it for many, many years I would buy the whole didn't have time for it. Since he apparently just bought it, he probably got it home and said what did I get myself into?
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

I'm guessing it was when he realized it needs front frame rails.

It does looks pretty rough...
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

This looks to be in similar shape as my capri was. All there but driven year round early in life. Didn't look too bad until I got it home and dug in a bit... The guy selling this one probably did the same. Unless you are good with a welder and can do all your own work I would pass. I'm sure if it wasn't a pace car it would be in the hundreds, not thousands. I can guarantee there is a lot more sunroof rust than you can see. It starts on the inside. Mine was a lot worse than that, I welded in lots of new metal and blasted and treated it from the underside. Thought I got it all. But it started bubbling again in 6 months...
    86 Notch under construction

2011 4Runner Trail edition
    2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

FEP Senior Member

I was looking at this car as well on Kijiji. My initial thoughts were that is needed more work than it was worth. From what the Waldheim person said, it was true. It may be worth restoring someday, but not at the prices they are selling for now. Buy one that is excellent now and enjoy it.

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by cougman67 View Post
    I was looking at this car as well on Kijiji. My initial thoughts were that is needed more work than it was worth. From what the Waldheim person said, it was true. It may be worth restoring someday, but not at the prices they are selling for now. Buy one that is excellent now and enjoy it.
    After the failed eBay ad and original asking price, he dropped it to $2900 and it was gone a few days after that. Someone probably needed a parts car or something because as you all said; a lot of work.

I'm glad I passed on this one. It's just so rare to see a Canadian one and one that is somewhat (relatively in the prairies) close to me. I would love to find a survivor like I did my SVO last year (that or a cobra).

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

Any car that has that much rust is not worth the pain, you were good in taking your time and soliciting input from people that know these cars. Personally I would find a restored one that someone put a lot of money into. Yes, more upfront costs, but, worth it in the long run. Good hunting. From his initial ad I thought he overstated everything good and understated everything bad...not a good thing. You would have been way over your head putting this thing back together if you weren't a body/paint man. Someone probably bought it as a parts car for a car they already have and are restoring, a good deal at 2500-2900 just for that, but, not if you wanted to completely restored it yourself. Sacreligious I know, but, prob reality in today's marketplace.

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

I hate to say it but I would run far away from that. It's an $1,800 car at best due to the rust and the poor interior condition. It needs a total restoration and for anyone who cannot do the bodwork, they would spend close to $10,000 to replace the roof skin, fix all the rust issues, and strip, prime, paint, clear, and wet sand the paint into show condition. Throw in another $1,500 to do the interior and before you know it, you've spent $11,500 without the cost of the car and no mechanical work. You're better off to buy a low mileage one for less than $10,000 and be ahead of the rat race.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12