Close

Default 1983 Capri Crimson Cat?

I just recently purchased my 1983 Capri and I'm trying to figure some things out with it the original owner claimed it was a black magic car but I have found that the car was originally red whoever painted it did a great job but some screws are still red as well as there is over spray red on the struts the interior was red at some point I found a few clips and the back seat belts are still red other than that it was a near perfect swap to gray interior was originally a 4 cylinder car but has been swapped to a "347 stroker" non HO motor still not sure of that claim either I'm not sure what all the crimson cats came with but in searching the vin something popped up about it being a black magic did they classify them as that or is this just an error?

Do you have a buck tag you can post? Both the CC and BM are appearance packages. BM's are either Black with gold accents and wheels or white with gold accents and wheels. CC's are red and also came with unique wheels and gold accents. These cars also had interiors that featured unique upholstery.

If you have a buck tag that should shed some light on what the car is. You could also get a Marti Report for the car, and that will tell you if it's a BM or CC.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

CC

Black Magic

Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

Where would the buck tag be located the car was completely repainted black instead of the original red and a lot changed before I ever got it so I'm not sure it will even have it anymore but it's worth a look

See yellow circle & follow the green arrow, see the little metal tag about the size of a business card..

Also see this thread: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...Capri-Buck-Tag

Current rides:
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...

I will take a look tomorrow hopefully it wasn't thrown out when they repainted it

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

The door tag also has specific codes for BM and CC.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Door tags are long gone I checked earlier

Unfortunately when a car has been extensively modified and altered it can be very difficult to verify what it original was from the Factory. If you can find the buck tag that will help to determine if the car was a Crimson Cat. Without it, the VIN is the only way you can try to narrow down any additional information.

My guess is the car was just a normal Capri and not a Crimson Cat especially if the rear seat belts were originally red. The CC Capri had a black interior with red inserts in the seats, but the seat belt were black not red. I also doubt that a previous owner would change a black interior out for the gray. Yes, it could happen, but more likely the interior was red and was swapped out for the gray.

Either way, Crimson Cat/Black Magic or not a Capri is a cool vehicle to have and enjoy. Post up some pictures of your Capri when you can and I hope you enjoy it and FEP!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

interior shot & Trey arnt you suppose to be working???

Current rides:
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...

Quote Originally Posted by onetrackrider View Post
    interior shot & Trey arnt you suppose to be working???
    I am working! God I love my new job!!!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Door tag, buck tag, build sheet, and owner card will all have BM or CC specific codes on them. Door tag is gone and we're not sure about the buck tag yet. Build sheet may not have ever been in the car, or was removed at some point by a prior owner, but it might be worth a shot to look for it. Owner card likely did not get passed along but that too is worth a shot looking for.

Window sticker, Marti report, and Eminger invoice would specifically say if the car had the BM or CC package.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Well there is no buck tag on it so all I have is the vin I will work on getting a Marti report but I don't believe it is a crimson cat I think the builder hid what the car was pretty well from the previous owner and just sweet talked his way into some more money from him I got a hell of a deal on the car so it's not a big deal to me I was skeptical when he said it was a black magic car anyways I'm still skeptical of the 347 it was said to have in it the motor definitely sounds healthy but with the way things are looking it's real easy to make claims I have already found it's an older 302 due to the firing order

Quote Originally Posted by Snooze04 View Post
    I just recently purchased my 1983 Capri and I'm trying to figure some things out with it the original owner claimed it was a black magic car but I have found that the car was originally red whoever painted it did a great job but some screws are still red as well as there is over spray red on the struts the interior was red at some point I found a few clips and the back seat belts are still red other than that it was a near perfect swap to gray interior was originally a 4 cylinder car but has been swapped to a "347 stroker" non HO motor still not sure of that claim either I'm not sure what all the crimson cats came with but in searching the vin something popped up about it being a black magic did they classify them as that or is this just an error?
    Sir Do believe a Crimson Cat came with all same colors and trim, different motors and interior amenaties. 804 or 805 were built Bright Red.
    My 83 cc is also a RS, with 4 speed tranny and5.0 Look for Collectible Automobile Magazine October 1992. Has CC in it