Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ford's first mass produced turbocharged engine! and America's second turbocharged car.
    More like 3rd. Oldsmobile had one around 62. The F85 Jetfire.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Default FAQ - Known issues and fixes for 79/81 2.3 turbo engine (carb)

Thanks for the correction, I forgot about the F85

Ok here's the next question. How did McLaren/M81 make 175hp.? the motor can make power it all comes down to money of course. I thought of using a 83-88 long block and tranny set up. I know the head is different but maybe an adaptor plate could be made for the intake? just throwing it out there.
    Last edited by svo84; 07-21-2015 at 05:57 AM.

Default Pace car updates

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  133.3 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  139.0 KBHey all.. I've posted bout 3 different threads lately bout my pace car issues. Well now I can say she runs great!! I plan on describing in detail which parts I used and their exact install locations. I've eliminated ALL smog and EGR system. Fellow member GR 79 was very helpful as well to me. I've found vacuum line and vacuum line check valves VERY important!! I'll post that info tomorrwish here.also found how important having the correct version of holly model 5200 carburetor is on these 2.3 turbo cars is.

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

Good job Todd

NICE !

Thanks guys ! I hope to see a few of you guys at the ford and mustang show August 16. I've never been to it. I've had my car at the Detroit autorama the last 3 years and loved the support from everyone.. I live in a GM town and it isn't very nice getting the rude comments of owning a kick a** ford product! ��

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

Where's the aug 16 th show Dearborn ??

Wow excellent work! Mine is nowhere near that condition any more.
    Yah Flint. Flintstoners. I have co-workers that live there. Distant relatives too.

A 1-2 punch weekend. The WDC and Mustang Alley Saturday, and this show, a great aftermath.
    My focus at these events is in all the Fox chassis and 2.3 turbo i can find. Info and inspection details.
    Camera in tow as always.

Will try to make the Sunday event. Work work work. Gee Wiz. And not on my stuff.
    A very cool Ford product show on Ford corporate property with lots to see and meet.
    Hundreds of cars, cream of the crop at that. Parked mine far away at first.

Would be very special to see FEP people there again too.
    May put 'GR79' on my windshield or something, kind of like a coded name tag.
    Hard to hang around the car for too long with so much out there.

Went last year first time at that loc. For sure have to get there much earlier to take it all in.
    Deep in Ford country as you are going to get.
    Similar to going into the GM Tech center with a GM product.
    Places of which you normally are not allowed to just drive in to.

Link has info:
    http://www.mocsem.com/events/event_c...th=8&year=2015

Quote Originally Posted by pacecartodd View Post

Hey all.. I've posted bout 3 different threads lately bout my pace car issues. Well now I can say she runs great!! I plan on describing in detail which parts I used and their exact install locations. I've eliminated ALL smog and EGR system. Fellow member GR 79 was very helpful as well to me. I've found vacuum line and vacuum line check valves VERY important!! I'll post that info tomorrwish here.also found how important having the correct version of holly model 5200 carburetor is on these 2.3 turbo cars is.

I could tell ya was from the Great Lakes region of the Midwestern United States, everything was viewed from the right hand side!. I fixed it for you.

It still doesn't work for me, everything is upside down down here.

Love turbo carb Foxes, great networking team!

Quote Originally Posted by svo84 View Post
    Ok here's the next question. How did McLaren/M81 make 175hp.? the motor can make power it all comes down to money of course. I thought of using a 83-88 long block and tranny set up. I know the head is different but maybe an adaptor plate could be made for the intake? just throwing it out there.
    McLaren I loved because the company originator was a gutsy Kiwi test driver who put road marker yellow on everything, and preped his cars 10/10ths. Sort of like Chris Amon or Bob Wallace, but instead of a test Ferrari or 'Miura orange' Lamborghini, he prefrerred Detriot iron or alloy blocks, and a big turbo...Nothin' wrong with that...

Sadly, with the M81, they had the option of 'upping' the boost with a variable controller horsepower screw, from the stock 5 to a possible 12 psi. It was a declared feature, but in so doing, it invalidated Fords durability requirments. Sinc ethe FMV emmissions cylce was part throttle, the modification may have been okay on the emissions and CAFE fuel consumption cycle, but the 50000 mile durability cycle might have been invalidated if the boost was always set on 12.

Only issue is, it didn't get the T140 5 speed gearbox, nor a Ford durability or Federal emissions pass in the 175 hp state. At about 7 built, it was also 242 shy of the 249 units planned. $25 K a copy probably did that. 17.4 sec quarter mile one up, no different from any other 79-82 Carb Turbo 4-speed, probably did the rest, and that was at 7lb boost, up 2 from stock. 11 lb was supossed to make 175, but others had said 12 psi made 190 hp.

Either M81 or factory stock, for a Detriot performance car, the gear ratios were just shocking (they were of course required for the weight of a 2.3 engined 2650 pound car off-boost)

,https://www.flickr.com/photos/trigge...n/photostream/

but even on pump 91 octane, it wouldn't pull anymore than 109 mph or a 17.8 second quarter mile two up with 5 psi boost. Our European 2 liter Taunus, Cortina or Sierras would go off the clock at 102-114 mph, do sub 17.4-16.9s's with just 102 hp and 2450 pounds to drag around, had close ratio gears of the early Pinto with 3.65, 1.97, 1.36, 1:1 gears, lots of fun. The 2.3 carb turbo had some issues that made people have to ring its bleedin neck. European Granada's or Capris with 135, 140, 160 or 188 hp had close ratio 3.16, 1.94, 1.26, 1:1 and 3.09 axle ratios, and top speeds of over 118 mph

See what the British made of it. The carb 2.3 Turbo is actually an exceptional car in terms of how far the car had been "Europeanised" by Jack Telnack, it handled better than a Taunus or Cortina, or Europen Capri, but compared to its European pears, it was still quite tame and its 132 SAE hp left a lot on the table compared to the 140 hp 5.0, or European 3.0 liter 138 hp, 2.8 carb 135, 188 Turbo Carb or Injected 160 hp engines.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trigge...ff/5142700759/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trigge...n/photostream/

Hey guys here is what solved ALL my issues as far as vacuum line locations and which correct '' check valves '' I used. Check valves are a MUST!! My car is totaly rebuilt and does NOT have any smog or EGR garbage on it.
    1. Timing is set at 8*
    2. Total carburetor rebuild with brass float
    3. Carburetor main fuel/air mixture screw BACKED out 1 1/2 turns
    4. Main idle set at 1100 to 1200 rpms
    5. Turbo wastegate vacum port connected to REAR intake manifold port.
    6. Use NPD part #M-12A197-3 (page 111 2015 catalog)with WHITE side of check valve towards intake manifold port inline of turbo wastegate vacum line.
    7. Connect distributor vacum line to intake manifold VACUUM TREE . Use a fuel/vacuum seperator style 'check valve' inline on your 3/16" vacum line of distributor. Use NPD part #M-9C369-3B. (Page 105 in their 2015 catalog)
    8.plug off vacum port on BASE of carburetor.
    9.spark control module vacum line goes to FRONT intake manifold port. NOT THE VACUM TREE!!
    10. Most important step here.IF not done your carburetor gets excessive fuel Cus of power valve in carb always open dumping excessive fuel in idle mode.
    10A. Connect a piece of 3/16" line to main VACUM TREE approx 12", then a 3/16" T, then short piece of 3/16" tubing to FRONT air horn on top of carburetor, next another short piece of 3/16, then use NPD part #M-12A091-2 (page 145 2015 catalog)and make sure the BLACK side faces the carburetor ,finally connect to the SIDE AIR HORN on the top of carburetor .
    11.I must thank GR79 for some of this info but after I got it all together things made sense. I hope this helps others get these motors running better. IF anyone has input please post it.

Very nice! Glad you got it setup correctly.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

Quote Originally Posted by PaceFever79 View Post
    They are unique!

Ford's first mass produced turbocharged engine! and America's second turbocharged car. The Corvair Corsa came first, roughly 9000 examples of the 180HP Corsa were made. The Corvair also used a turbo draw-through carb setup. These two cars are the beginnings of turbocharged production cars in America.

That's pretty cool.
    Close, but the 78 Buick Regal Turbo beat it by a year. And we all know what that become later.
    1984.5 GT 5.0 5 Speed ANALOG
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    Edelbrock Intake/Holley 600
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

Hey Todd is your block and head still original? is there any cam upgrade?

My block is bored .040 over. Cylinder head milled .015. Camshaft is a crane cam upgrade.runs amazing now but waiting for the turbo to come back from rebuild. I hope my blue smoke issue disappears ..

Hi. Lamont. I would like to know what vacuum lines are left on your motor. I have 2 1979 motors and I would like to get rid of as much vacuum lines as I can. One of my cars is a California car and has way too much on it and I need to get it running better. Tim

Hi everyone, it´s good to find a thread like this. I´ve just bought a 2.3 turbo 79 Cobra in Argentina with on 32.000 miles that was sleeping in a barn for 12 years. It´s in very good shape, even still has the original belts. I´m worried about the turbo, but seems that if I want to keep it running original without improving performance I´ll just need to keep all this vacuum system clean, use good oil and fuel.
    Do you know where to find the Turbo service book? I´m not being able to find it in usual place in the web.

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by kustom50 View Post
    Hi. Lamont. I would like to know what vacuum lines are left on your motor. I have 2 1979 motors and I would like to get rid of as much vacuum lines as I can. One of my cars is a California car and has way too much on it and I need to get it running better. Tim
    I'll try to post some pictures for you guys. Sorry for the long delay, I have not been on in a while. I had my car put on a dyno for final tuning and I'm getting about 10 PSI from my turbo. Not bad if you ask me because I like to drive my car around. I switched to the TR6 Plugs and the shop adjusted the timing during tuning.

Quote Originally Posted by Georgez View Post
    Hi everyone, it´s good to find a thread like this. I´ve just bought a 2.3 turbo 79 Cobra in Argentina with on 32.000 miles that was sleeping in a barn for 12 years. It´s in very good shape, even still has the original belts. I´m worried about the turbo, but seems that if I want to keep it running original without improving performance I´ll just need to keep all this vacuum system clean, use good oil and fuel.
    Do you know where to find the Turbo service book? I´m not being able to find it in usual place in the web.
    Welcome to FEP, Georgez. The files I have are not uploading properly. They're about 15 MB in size. Even the ZIP file I have is too big to upload. I'll see if I can figure out another way to get it to you.

Do you have an email account that would allow an attachment of that size?

Edit:
    I checked "The Library" section and it isn't there. I need moderator assistance to see if this file, (ZIP, PDF, or individual JPEGs - 89 images), can be submitted to "The Library" for community usage.
    Last edited by IDMooseMan; 11-10-2015 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Request Moderator Assistance
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    Build Thread

Hopefully ^ that makes the FEP resource library ^

That's is my intention. I don't have a turbo car, but when I find stuff that might help other members, I do my best to make the info available.
    Build Thread

Well been having fun with the 2.3t carb draw through...
    Main problems ive encountered lack of info....
    As far as my own experience, the melted pistons come from a lean condition (old carbs and very easy to clogh) broken pistons knock ( maybe do of excessive timming.
    50 feet of old crappy vacums and mechanisms that where lets say invented to fix somehow what went wrong might be the biggest issue.

This is what i think everyone should do to either preserve of modify some how in the right direction this engines.
    Back to basics: delete everything that a regular non turbo engine works. Egr, vacum craps, everythkng thats not essential. Theres a win win here, less parts that can cause headaches and yes ur engine bay will clear a lot.

A must have is wide band gage, this to monitor air fuel ratios and tune the carb.

Duraspark its ok, i would definitely use a boost timming master. Check the total advance in The distributor. Regularly boosted cars like lower timming ( the 2.3t carb engines retard only 6 degrees with the duraspark, and that is if ur vacum selenoid is working properly if not it will not retard and u might kick a rod or break it) this will vary depending in your boost levelsobviously, Im looking for a 18 degree timming under full boost (15 psi on my setup) but having a total advance of 36 on mine this means that if my btw retards only 15 degrees means that i would have to set my initial timming 2 degres after tdc or rediculous numbers like that.(gonna have to mod the distributor to lower the advance, that way i can have an initial 10 degrees, have it advance to 33 total and retard back to 18 with the btm) yeah a msd boost timming master programable would be amazing, but not planing to spend that much. Just yet.

Im also planning on porting the stock intake manifold. Specially before the turbo cold side. Its just ridiculous to expect any perfomance out of such narrowed and restrictive intake. Starting with the small 32/36 blades with a 27mm speed venturies in this carb. On the head side its now worth it that much since the oval intake port is way to large for the engines capacity (hense why the later models svo is a d port shape)

I also upgraded to the ranger roller cam, i managed to work how the 95 8 plug cam and followers to work on our oval port head. Lots of work needed and parts, would be lot easier just to use the 88 ranger roller cam with its roller followers. Plug and plah they say. ( If ur curoius, for the 95+ the cam goes in nice and perfect, the followers need to be enlarged to fit the wider valve stem, also cleared on the bottom to clear the wider spring hat, and you do need the 95 lifters or ull always have valves opened and the engine will spin like it had no plugs) then again the 88 cam has a higher lift and less ratio followers, a combo of the 95 followers and 88 cam doesnt seem to crazy now. Thats for a cheap cam swap that will benefit alm around and have very nice street manners.

Ordering a adjustable cam gear is always a great idea.
    Having a piston stop tool to mark down ur real tdc its worth it. This way you can mark down real tdc timming. Degree your cam for either economy torque or high rpm performance.

Ive had trouble as well with the aux shaft, yes u can install a later model shaft but it can come without the fuel pump lobe, yes u can use an alectric fuel pump and regulator. If u cant seem to manage to find one with the lobe, and always can spend some money on the esslinger one.

Well ill trh to help out on the go on what ive learned in a couple of months buildkng a weird turd.... Have fun

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast