Close

Lightbulb Information on Mexican-built Fox rearends/ ejes, por favor?

I bought my 1979 Fairmont Squire in 1997, when worked for a Canadian company down in Guadalajara, MX. Y si, hablo espanol, y Francais.

Unlike US or Canadian-built Fairmonts, mine came with a 5 mains 302, and a non-ford rearend, and a hooped vinyl ceiling inside.

I don't have the build-sheet (orden de la fabrica), but the Axle Option on the serial plate on the driver's door says "A":

Name:  Int_V3_0627_03.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  52.4 KB

The factory shop manual (US) for 1979, Lists A as a 3:50:1 ratio differential, and 5 as a 3.07:1 differential.

The problem is that mine is a 7.5" axle, the 3rd member does come off, and the rear cover does have a fill plug. The best I can find is an Argentinian site that it is a Dana 30 rearend. If that's the case (si es asi), then I could get a 3.27 or 3.45 set of gears in there to improve the torque at different shift points (I'm changing to a standard 4 speed transmission off of a 6 cylinder car)

Did the Mexican Ford assembly plants use Dana rear ends or, does the Mexican shop manual (Chapter 15) have a different code for the axles?

The tag on the rearend reads:

One number above the other, as typed.

Kind of stuck without going to a shop.

The other difference with this axle setup is the inner brake drum diameter.

3 days before we left Guadalajara, I had all new shoes and drums and discs installed. The trip was 2,600 miles, back to Winnipeg Canada. At the border crossing, they told me that I had 30 days to have the car Safety Certified and Licensed, and that I had to return and show them the new Canadian registration.

The mechanic could only find one issue. The rear drum walls were too thick, meaning the shoe diameter was too small, as if they were worn down, below standard US/CDN standards. I got new Canadian drums and shoes, and he certified it. The axle shaft ends say MEX on each side. He didn't give a fig. Rules are rules. Donkeys are all around, not just pulling milk and bread wagons.

Me gustaria si algien me puede aclarar esta duda, del eje. Por favor.
    I hope someone can clear up this Differential mystery, please.
    Last edited by Stormin' Norman; 03-03-2014 at 01:16 PM.
    1979 Ford Fairmont 4-Eyed Squire (Mexican-Built) 3.3 I6 (200 CID) 4-Speed SROD Trans, Tri-Power

FEP Senior Member

Hello my friend from Canada. I donīt have the exact spec on my rear differential but they are indeed Dana parts. I have 1981 fastback Mustang but Iīm pretty sure that 8 cylinder fairmonts came with the same parts.

From what I have read these rear ends were used mostly on Jeeps as well.

I unfortunately donīt have the spec sheets for my car to give you more detail, but I am certain the rear end is a Dana

Quote Originally Posted by blueandsilver View Post
    Hello my friend from Canada. I donīt have the exact spec on my rear differential but they are indeed Dana parts. I have 1981 fastback Mustang but Iīm pretty sure that 8 cylinder fairmonts came with the same parts.

From what I have read these rear ends were used mostly on Jeeps as well.

I unfortunately donīt have the spec sheets for my car to give you more detail, but I am certain the rear end is a Dana
    Gracias/Thanks.

No hay un recurso en los sitios Mexicanos con esas detailles?
    No website with those technical details in Mexico?

Tengo unos sitios Latinos que te pueden interesar:

A few Latin-American search sites, like KIJIJI
    http://www.olx.com.mx/

Argentina esta un poco especial:
    http://corrientescapital.olx.com.ar/...barcos-cat-362

http://pasodeloslibres.olx.com.ar/

Los pais tienen su ligua unico a bajo.
    http://es.ookly.com/
    1979 Ford Fairmont 4-Eyed Squire (Mexican-Built) 3.3 I6 (200 CID) 4-Speed SROD Trans, Tri-Power

My Mexican-built Fairmont Wagon's 7.5" DANA 44 axle has a 3.07:1 ratio:

Name:  AxleMexFMont1.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  105.0 KB

The Canadian-built 1980 Zephyr donor is a FORD 7.5" is a stock 3.08:1 ratio.

Name:  AxleZephyr1.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  108.4 KB

Thanks to xctasy for his awesome details on this issue. It really is a DANA 44, with an 8.5" ring gear.

Name:  MyMexFMont3.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  110.3 KB

The Mexican BOM doesn't work on the DANA site:
    751320-1

Nor does the Ring Gear part number:
    051278 Spicer T43 14 30060 MATM245

Name:  MyMexFMont2.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  68.9 KB

Name:  MyMexFMont1.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  106.4 KB

I posted this on the FordSix site, but I forgot to mention that the DANA 44 axles only came on the V8 models as standard equipment.

I think I've made some progress. We have a wholesaler here that handles all kinds of driveline manufacturers lines, including DANA/Spicer lines. I had a good email thread going with one guy for a week or so. He sounded pretty knowledgeable, and recalled a similar request from 2010 for a 1980 Mexican Mustang, and did a lot of checking, but never got back to me for a couple weeks. Tried to email him, with my new info sources, but it was like he fell off the planet. So I carried on digging and found new sites to confuse me.

I know Argentina and Brazil got Aussie built Fairmonts, and Spicer have/had one plant in Venezuela, another in Columbia, and one in Brazil. Well I found a document on Spicer's Venezuela office site - the "Clientes" document has all kinds of references to Fairmonts, Ford F-1000 pickups (yeah, F-One Thousand), Bronco and a misspelled Zephyr range of Differentials. On the top menu, click on "CLIENTES PRODCUTOS" and then the first submenu item, then right-click on the "EJES Diferenciales" PDF to download it.
    http://www.danavenezuela.com.ve/

Once you open it in Acrobat, use CTRL+F for the Find box, and type "Fairmont". The confusion comes because their updated replacement numbers aren't useful on DANA's Expert site:
    http://www2.dana.com/expertforms/demenu.aspx

The other issue for us Ford types is that sometime when DANA went buying up various axle/gear companies and produced for FORD, the signed an agreement to NOT PUBLISH the part numbers in North America, so the dealers could sell the parts, or because they only wanted to sell their axles with their TRAC-LOK differentials. There's a document on the Spicer Literature site that refers to it: AXL-PNI-57 of 2001
    http://spicerparts.com/literature/library

In 1985 DANA published special catalogs for the different MFRS for models from 1979-1985, according to this document on that Spicer literature site - type in axl-app-4 in the keyword box and click Apply. Trouble is they only list the light truck diffs on the documents that are available. They merged the Ford and IHC diffs in this document. The original Ford and IHC documents aren't in DANA's archives (X510-2DSD, X510-4dsd), but the merged one is (X510-2) - type in that code X510-2, and you'll get that one and X510-9 in the download list.

It doesn't stop there. You'll also need their XGI.pdf for all the kits and kit updates -type XGI in the keyword box on that literature site link.

SOOOOO...

In my case, the only number I have besides the 'NOT FOUND' BOM is the ring gear. 30060
    I punched that into the "Where Used" box on the DANA site:
    http://www2.dana.com/expertforms/demenu.aspx

I got 81 lines, some are blank because they related to the top level assembly (001, 002, 003, etc.). Next was to find out if they were Front or Rear axles, so I went to Patooyee's fine site and sorted by axle model:
    http://www.patooyee.com/Dana/By%20Model.htm

I started an MS Excel document and copied each list (HTML Paste) on different Excel sheets, and then repasted on the 'Values' in new sheets (HTML contains links to the DANA BOM list, which makes it a bloated document, and a PITA to sort properly.

I added a column on the Patooyee sheet list called "BOM ???" and found that he must've stopped updating a few years ago. I was also looking for those BOM numbers that used my ring gear (30060), which his page doesn't list) So after all that, I ended up with 18 potential BOMs that had 3.07:1 differentials, that could also have had Trac-Lok differentials.

Now there's one other interesting Spicer document you should download. None of our Canadian Junkyards will have these, AVANTI II, Checker Cab, Excalibur. All offering 2.72 and 3.07:1 differentials with or without Trac-Lok. this one lists them (X510-7). I can imagine a 250 HP 200 CID I6 with a 2.72:1 ratio getting 40 MPG, and not slouching anywhere, especially with and AOD or T5 OD trans.

I don't need a Ring or Pinion, but I need everything else to get a Trac-Lok unit in there.

So I searched on Car-Part.com for 1979 Ford F150, using Canada as country. Prices for those up here range from $150 to $450 CDN$, US yards came in from $50 to $500, higher prices reflect condition. But most of them also had notes with either high mileage or needs kit/rebuild, etc. Jeep CJ, TJ, WY, and Cherokee or Wagonneers, or Ford F-250, E-350 and F-100 also showed up, depending on the years you specify for a range to search for . I used 1977 to 1993 for most searches. Broncos and Blazers are too hot for differentials up here in the cold, bald prairies, and I'd never find a 3.07 unit in a 4X4.

So, my solution is to buy a used D44 carrier, and replace all the inner parts. What I don't know is whether the 8.9" inch D44 Trac-Lok will fit in my 8.5" space. The local differential vendor will have to find the crush sleeve, axle seals, etc. or I can get them online, or maybe my pals at my NAPA store.

Now for the easy part, putting it together and installing it. SPICER published a whole series of documents for all the types of DANA 44 axles, differentials, trac-lok units.

5310-2 Spicer Axle Service Manual
    5310-3 Spicer Maintenance Service Manual
    5313-2 Spicer D44 Trac-Lok and Limited Slip Service Manual
    5314-3 Spicer D60 Trac-Lok and Limited Slip Service Manual
    5323 is for IFS type Dana 44

My question is will the D44 Trac-Lok unit from the larger 8.9" differential fit into my 8.5" axle without buying spacer plates or thinner ring gears etc. I don't know if mine does use the axle C-clips or not, but my Ford Factory shop manual does imply that it does for other 1979 Fords. It doesn't show it for DANA axles, just Ford axles.

Well, I got me the right DANA 44 Trac-Lok from RockAuto, no less, at one heck of a price, and delivered in Canada, duty and taxes, and freight included for under $470 CDN$

Spicer/DANA number is 707115X, but a DANA 707132X is also good for these Mexican Fox chassis V8 cars. The DANA 44 was standard on V8 Foxes in Mexico. The 4 and 6 cylinder cars got either of the 6.75 or 7.5 axles.

I called DANA's Tech support, and got "Joe" the first time, who asked me to get the Casting number of the axle. located on the Driver's side top casting web, on the front end of it. C38587. On the passenger side web "443, which is DANA 44-3 model. His colleague, Mike (sits in the cubicle, next to Joe) was the guy that I got when I called back with the info. Both of them Laughed Out Loud. Mike asked if I was calling, AFTER I bought one. Nope! "Good, because we get these calls to help them with sorting out WHY they can't get it in!", he said.

So I gave him my Ring and Pinion numbers: Ring is 30060, Pinion is 31492. I gave him the other numbers too, but those 2 solved the issue.

The 707132X was his first choice, because the older AVANTI II, used the same Ring and Pinion, but he said that the 707115X is found more often in the US market, and would do it just as well. Comes with gasket, sealant, and the clutches all installed, as well as the carrier bearings, and the carrier shims. Nice kit.

The Pinion Seal isn't necessarily the same as the one on the model I used to find the Trac-Lok - 1982 JEEP WAGONEER 5.9L 360cid V8. So I used my seal number (3911, and found that DANA had updated it to 35723, then I used Timken's cross-reference site to find their equivalent - http://www.showmetheparts.com/timken/

Timken and SKF, both offer 2 grades of seals. One is the Viton rubber, the other is Nitrile. The Viton seal is much better in our cold weather 5778V or 5778 (nitrile) hardly any difference in price (+/- $1.00). Inner Axle seals (mine are DANA 35239) Timken number is 9912S.

And then! there are the outer axle end gaskets. Fel-Pro make one that looks a lot like the right shape - part number is Fel-Pro 4978 - I think:

http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...4978/overview/

I'm making my own out of thin closed cell foam sheet - one on each side of the wheel flange retainer.

I got it all cleaned up, primed and painted, got my Trac-Lok carrier, and debated whether I'd challenge myself to reassemble it. Then I was reminded of what Clint Eastwood said in Dirty Harry, "A man's got to know his limitations."

Andy (Monty7 and I went to a local Transmission/ Driveline shop a few years ago to get our torque converters rebuilt, including ring gears. The did a great job then, and reasonably priced. Well since then, they grew like gangbusters, and had their top differential guy do it. We're a central shipping hub, smack dab in the middle of the continent East/West and North/South, so a lot of transport companies come through here, and need big shops to do it.

http://www.transtechca.com/

Outstanding workmanship. I had them replace my inner/outer axle seals, bearings, press on the new carrier bearings and shims. do the ring gear/pinion pattern work, and they even left the pattern grease on so I could check myself. I'm ticked, ecstatic! The end of an 8 year search!

They had since late last Thursday, and called me at 8:00 this morning (Tuesday). And that's with finding and receiving new inner seals, new bearings and bearing retainers on the axles. Done right! Cost me $500 for all they did, and $448 for the carrier. The local DANA/Spicer dealer told me to use an Auburn unit, which cost $800 all by itself. If I was racing it, I might have considered it, but not for what we need. Just solid, and good for normal daily driving on snow and icy roads.

Thanks Andy for helping bring her out there and back. :beer:

Now I have to find my restored brake backing plates, somewhere in a very safe place in my own basement!
    Last edited by Stormin' Norman; 06-02-2015 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Added shop link

Default AXLE Wrap-up

Its in! All done!
    Name:  MyDANAInstalled_2.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  120.4 KB

I used VHT on the drums after I cleaned them off:
    Name:  MyDANAInstalled_1.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  93.6 KB

I bought new bars from NAPA, before looking at mine. Are they ever thick. The ones I got from NAPA come from China, but mine looked stronger, and they're Mexican! (bragging rights)
    Name:  MyDANAInstalled_4.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  61.9 KB

I got these Lower Control Arms from a good used parts yard in Nebraska, and dusted them off - no rust! Then after I cleaned my own Upper Arms off, I realized that mine were pretty crusty, even after a thorough cleaning, so I got them to send me the uppers from the same 1979 Capri. Too hard to find good ones, but I'm set for the next Fox-body.
    Name:  MyDANAInstalled_3.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  83.6 KB

I've added gear oil in many kinds of Mopar/GM axles, but never a DANA 44, so I read the manual (RTFM).

Since my new Trac-Lok is used in a 1982 Jeep, I followed the lubricant recommendations.

Found here: http://spicerparts.com/literature/library

Type or copy/paste X5001-CVSP in the Keyword... box. Then download it as X5001-CVSP.PDF

Page 34 says to fill to the bottom of the oil "Fill" hole.

I used 80 W 90 and a 76 oz. bottle of Friction Inhibitor from Spicer.

You'll see in the Jeep manual above,, that the Jeep cover's FILL hole is higher than mine - meaning more gear oil. Mine took almost 4 pints with that little bottle of stuff for the DANA Trak-Lok clutches.

Also reinstalled the new brake lines, and new flex line. The drums and shoes were bought and installed 2 months before I had my little fender bender in November 2010. But everything for brakes is new *cylinders, springs, hardware, except for those "FRENOMEX" bars and adjusters.

I'm happy with the results. It was fun putting on the wheels, and spinning them to see them both roll in the same direction. Haven't had a POSI for decades.

I wire-brushed the old undercoat off, and any rusty areas, then primed with cold-galvanized spray, then paintable undercoat, then the actual top car colour. A light colour under there sure makes it easy to see what I'm doing, lying on the ground with mosquitoes wanting to kiss me..

Hit another small snag/issue and worked out a solution.

I've been using the Mexican V8/C4 driveshaft with my swap to a 3.3L/C4 setup and the DANA 44 axle.

In making my own Stainless exhaust header, I used all my new, stock, exhaust parts from the front to the back, and tried to get the driveshaft in behind the stock 4-speed SROD manual transmission, with the same DANA 44. No WAY!

The driveshaft shortening and balancing shops want $180 to $200 plus 13% federal and provincial taxes. I already de-rusted my I6 K-Member, and checked if I could get another 0.5" wider slot (cut at the front edge), to get a clear slip yoke space of 1" between the slip yoke and the SROD trans, and it that should do it! My trusty BOSCH JigSaw can chew up that 3/16" steel without burping. LOL!

JACook, in this thread below, says 3/4" should be enough. I'll do it as above, and if that's not enough, then I'll drop the coin to shorten it. I'm doing the body work, including the underfloor, fuel tank and lines, etc. so that will happen in early September.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=driveshaft

I can't find any driveshafts for even stock US/CDN driveshafts on Car-Part.com or other used parts search sites, including the Hollander site, for a stock I6/SROD setup. The yards list their C3/ and C4 auto shafts, and don't seem to know the difference in length.
    Last edited by Stormin' Norman; 08-15-2015 at 11:07 AM. Reason: typos