Close

Default 7.5 to 8.8 Brake line on rear end.

I was wondering what needs to be changed on the rear brake line that bolts on the rear. Will my 7.5 brake lines work on the 8.8 or do I need to change the rubber brake line. The 8.8 rear I got has a different rubber line and bracket . And I see they aren't the same. Thanks.

is your current set-up a factory type single exhaust?
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

I have moved brake lines off of a 7.5 to an 8.8 and made them work with a little bending, nothing major.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Its a factory 5.o dual exhaust car.

Any way you could take a picture of the two? I have always heard that the 85 hose was the same as the 86-93 part in spite of the rear axle change, or at least it would bolt up. I'd be curious to see the difference.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    Any way you could take a picture of the two? I have always heard that the 85 hose was the same as the 86-93 part in spite of the rear axle change, or at least it would bolt up. I'd be curious to see the difference.
    I would like to see that also as I am getting ready to swap out rearends also!

My 85's 8.8 rear end bolted right up in my 84. My brake line on the 8 was long enough to route it over to the passenger side of the 84.

From what I recall doing the swap back in the late 80's, the lines from my 85 worked, just the mounting point of the splitter had to be rigged. Take this with a grain of salt as it was close to 30 years ago!
    Steve
    "Taillights in Your Face Jack? You've just been Dominated!"
    # Link to Facebook Dominator Mustang Fans # # Link to Facebook Predator Mustang Fans #
    # Link to Facebook Twister Mustang Fans #
    Current Stangs: Stangless
    Previously owned:
    84 Black GT, 85 Black T-Top Dominator GT # Link to Restoration Thread # 85 Dominator GT RIP 1995, 85 Predator GT, 83 Dominator GT, 82 Mustang GT

FEP Power Member

Use a 87 5.0 up rear brake line. It is made for the 8.8.
    Kendal

I have the break lines on the 8.8. But I was hoping to unbolt the lines of the 7.5, At the wheel cylinder,s And let the line connected every where else, And put it back on the 8.8. Whith out messing whith the rest. Oh well when I pull the 7.5 I will see what I need. If I need to replace everything I will. I want it safe,, Thanks guys,

The best thing to do, in this case, since even 87-up 4cyl cars have the brake line coming in to the rear axle the same way... find yourself a junkyard 5.0 car from 87-up era, there's an angled bracket just left of center above the nose of the rear axle.. That has the specific fitting you need to mate that rubber hose from your 8.8 to the car. You need that bracket thats pop rivited to the body, and the fitting thats held in by c-clips. The brake lines follow the same route all the way back on both 4cyl and v8 cars til about the rear lower torque box, then it goes thru the frame and back following the fuel lines at the very back of the trans/driveshaft tunnel, where it then crosses over to the drivers side either before or after the factory pinion snubber (I cant remember right now) and then goes into the top of the bracket from the 5.0 car. All you would have to do is cut the old brake line before the torque box, and then either bend new line, or cut the line from the other car and pull it out in once piece w/ the bracket, then add tube nuts, flare, and couple with a brake line union. Good to go. Out of the way of everything then. I've seen too many 8.8 swaps that look like the brake hose is too close to the exhaust, or about to get pinched by the rear spring!

I'll try to snap pics tonight of my chassis on the rotisserie, and show you where things go. I might have to grab my brake line from my storage unit to mock up.
    1994 GT coupe-- 243k still runs great!
    1988 LX hatch-- GT V8 conversion project on rotisserie!
    1977 II Hatch-- 65K orig. miles
    1993 Lincoln Mark Viii-- rebuilt and angry! 4.10's, 3500 stall, exhaust etc.
    2004 Ranger FX4 Level II - DD gas hog

~Jesse

Thanks stangman pictures would be great.

Stangman, did your car originally have dual exhaust? His being an 85 V8 car, it did. Shouldn't his line already run to where you are talking about? I'm really curious because I had a problem with mine, but it was an 84.

you can use the existing 7.5 brake lines backing plates shoes, cylinders,etc.

if you are pulling the axles, I would just use the existing 7.5 brakes, they are the same as the 8.8 brakes an bolt right on.

the only difference on a 85 5.0 7.5 is the brake line bracket that bolts to the center section of the rearend. when a 8.8 swap is done the bracket is to short because the center section of the 8.8 rearend is taller/bigger.

you can get the 86 up 8.8 bracket or modify the 7.5 bracket or use a longer bolt or make a bracket extension.

Last edited by FM2NOTCH; 03-05-2014 at 01:02 AM.
    *FOXTOBERFEST* 2015 http://www.foxmustangrestoration.com/events
    85 T Top coupe 5.0 2R red, E7's, rpm intake, 4180 carb, 7.4 1/8
    83 CC capri 5.0 5 speed,black mesh wheels
    76 cobra II 302 auto black/gold, big cam 3 inch dumps- sold to a good friend
    92 coupe 5.0 5 speed -red
    92 Lx hatch 5.0 5 speed -black, 66 coupe 5.0 4 spd (project)
    87 Vert 5.0 AOD red stock as a rock

" Are you sure you know what you're talking about? It kinda sounds like you know what you're talking about"

Quote Originally Posted by FM2NOTCH View Post
    you can use the existing 7.5 brake lines backing plates shoes, cylinders,etc.

if you are pulling the axles, I would just use the existing 7.5 brakes, they are the same as the 8.8 brakes an bolt right on.

the only difference on a 85 5.0 7.5 is the brake line bracket that bolts to the center section of the rearend. when a 8.8 swap is done the bracket is to short because the center section of the 8.8 rearend is taller/bigger.

you can get the 86 up 8.8 bracket or modify the 7.5 bracket or use a longer bolt or make a bracket extension.

Awesome!

Fm2notch thanks that's what I thought. I already have the 8.8 rear done, New wheel cylinders, brakes, spring kit ,Gears ,New brake cables ,And that bracket you show. And I think your right on the 85 with v8 and factory duals. I am finaly getting a break from work so I can get to it. Ha ha. I was hoping to not mess whith that bracket on my car ,And just break it loose at the wheel cylinders.Put the rear in and put the 7.5 lines on the 8.8 attach the lines and bleed the breaks. But I will do what needs to be done to make it right.Thanks again.

My car did not have dual exhaust orignally. It's an 88 4cyl car. It had the brake line bracket attached to where the exhaust hanger would go on the passenger side if it were a v8 car.

Will try to get a pic... been real cold!
    1994 GT coupe-- 243k still runs great!
    1988 LX hatch-- GT V8 conversion project on rotisserie!
    1977 II Hatch-- 65K orig. miles
    1993 Lincoln Mark Viii-- rebuilt and angry! 4.10's, 3500 stall, exhaust etc.
    2004 Ranger FX4 Level II - DD gas hog

~Jesse

Yeah stangman ,The v8 cars are in the place you mentioned before .Don't worry about the pictures,I no what you mean. But thanks anyhow,

Bringing this post back.. currently doing this swap and trying to find a center brake line that works. If you order the hose for an 86 and newer mustang it uses a bango bolt where as the 85 has the brake line thread straight into the brake line. What has everyone else used?

i bought the brackets, and did my own bending, had my dad help i hate brakes with a passion.
    84 5.0 ( currently restoring)
    86 Toyota 4x4
    02 Lexus is300

On my '85 Hatch, the '86+ rear hose connected up just fine, though you do need to watch how it's
    clocked, or the hose will kink when the rear suspension is fully compressed.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

I can't find the thread but another member here found that the rear brake hose from a 84-85 F-150 was a bolt in and was extra long. Don't quote me on those exact years but it was a mid 80's F-150.

A longer brake hose is not an acceptable substitute for relocating the rear hard line on a single-exhaust
    car that is getting converted to duals, which is what was being suggested in that other thread.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune