Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New 4 Eyed Owner here

Name:  20140127_142824.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  101.8 KBHello, all

My name is Terry. I have been a Mustang aficionado for a long time. I first had a 97 convertible, then traded it for my 2002
    GT, which I've now had for over a decade. I recently picked up a killer deal on a 1985 lx convertible for my wife.
    44,000 original miles and no rust. I picked up a set of turbine GT wheels for it. Once I find out what the electrical problem is,I have a feeling it will make for a fun project.

I quite honestly didn't know that they put a v6 in Mustangs in 1985. I was shocked when we found it for the ridiculous low price, then even more shocked when the guy popped the hood to reveal the 3.8.
    Last edited by Metalbass1979; 03-01-2014 at 03:25 PM.

FEP Supporter

Nice score! Welcome to the site!
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

Thank you, sir. I have always loved the 4 eyed look and even changed the headlights on my 2002 to a set of 4 eyed looking ones.

Welcome to FEP!!! Congrats on the purchase.
    Mike

84 Mustang GT Turbo Vert
    86 Mustang GT T-Top
    95 Mustang GT Vert
    05 Mustang GT

I'm trying to get the car to run. It fires up with starting fluid sprayed into it, but isn't getting good fuel from the tank. I replaced the ignition switch, pump relay and inertia switch. When I use a paperclip to jump past the relay box, the pump kicks in, so I know it is good.

I'm thinking I have a wiring issue somewhere before the relay. If you guys have any suggestions, I'd be super grateful. I wanna have this thing going for spring, then start making it look even cooler.....before talking my wife into a v8 swap next year.

Welcome aboard! I'm sure the helpful suggestions will be rolling in any time...
    1982 Dominator GT
    *1st Dominator ever sold and
    autographed by Jackie Stewart *
    1993 Corvette
    2005 Roush Mustang
    2008 Escape
    (DD)

Welcome, and nice car! When you turn the key on do you hear a hummmm sound coming from the trunk? That is your fuel pump. If you don't hear that sound then your fuel pump isn't turning on.
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

Welcome, and nice car! When you turn the key on do you hear a hummmm sound coming from the trunk? That is your fuel pump. If you don't hear that sound then your fuel pump isn't turning on.

Fuel pumps in the gas tank, not the trunk lol. It just sounds like it's coming from the trunk when your in the car.
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

I can hear the pump kick on when I use a paper clip to jump the terminals on the relay clip, but not with the relay in place. The relay is new. I'm thinking it is a wire between the ignition switch to the relay under the seat. I kinda wonder if there is a bad fusible link in the wires, somewhere. It has just been so ridiculous cold here that I haven't had the time to trace every wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalbass1979 View Post
    I can hear the pump kick on when I use a paper clip to jump the terminals on the relay clip, but not with the relay in place. The relay is new. I'm thinking it is a wire between the ignition switch to the relay under the seat. I kinda wonder if there is a bad fusible link in the wires, somewhere. It has just been so ridiculous cold here that I haven't had the time to trace every wire.
    check the wire that energizes the relay, and also check the relay ground. and last check the terminals for proper connections.
    64 falcon
    66 mustang
    05 grand marquis

dont just believe in miracles, rely on them!

fordsix.com admin

Name:  20140125_144606.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  160.0 KBI'm gonna try to check the wires this week. Name:  20140125_125404.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  86.3 KBName:  20140125_125219.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  105.8 KBName:  20140125_125128.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  126.2 KBName:  20140125_162444.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  106.8 KB

I figured I would throw a few more pictures up. I don't have the new wheels on it yet, as I need to buy tires for them. It also has road salt all over it from the guy towing it to my house.
    Last edited by Metalbass1979; 03-02-2014 at 09:00 AM.

Welcome to FEP. It looks like you have the start of a beautiful ride. I'm going to assume that your car has cfi on it. Check to see your ecu power relay is working.The ecu needs to be functioning or it won't activate your fuel pump.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Thank you, sir. The car has a throttle body fuel injection setup. I've never messed with anything with a system like that. I think the ECU is on the passenger side, right?

Welcome to FEP, Terry. That's a very nice starting point you found there. Wiring diagrams are available from here: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...79-1986-in-PDF for your reference. I have found them quite helpful.

Edit:
    Yes, the ECU should be located in the passenger-side kick panel. I have a carbed, non-ecu car, so correct me if I'm wrong gang.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

Quote Originally Posted by IDMooseMan View Post
    Edit:
    Yes, the ECU should be located in the passenger-side kick panel. I have a carbed, non-ecu car, so correct me if I'm wrong gang.
    that is correct.
    64 falcon
    66 mustang
    05 grand marquis

fordsix.com admin

Oh! Thank you! I tried looking up the wiring diagram and couldn't find it.

I finally had a warm enough day to mess with it. I had about 20 minutes after work and got to the ECU relay. Wow! Talk about a tight space to get a socket into. I finally got the relay unbolted from there........after yelling a few harsh names at it.........then sweet talking it. Haha.

I'm probably gonna replace it and do some wire tracing this weekend. I also realized that the injectors aren't spraying, even when I use the paper clip to jump the fuel pump. That has me thinking that the ECU relay could be the culprit.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalbass1979 View Post
    I finally had a warm enough day to mess with it. I had about 20 minutes after work and got to the ECU relay. Wow! Talk about a tight space to get a socket into. I finally got the relay unbolted from there........after yelling a few harsh names at it.........then sweet talking it. Haha.

I'm probably gonna replace it and do some wire tracing this weekend. I also realized that the injectors aren't spraying, even when I use the paper clip to jump the fuel pump. That has me thinking that the ECU relay could be the culprit.
    sometimes it helps to stick your tongue out the right side of your mouth, while having one foot on the ground, and the other as high up in the air as possible. add to that the typical car repair payer in between curse words and sweet talking.
    64 falcon
    66 mustang
    05 grand marquis

fordsix.com admin

Quote Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
    sometimes it helps to stick your tongue out the right side of your mouth, while having one foot on the ground, and the other as high up in the air as possible. add to that the typical car repair payer in between curse words and sweet talking.
    This works more often than you might think.
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by IDMooseMan View Post
    This works more often than you might think.
    i know, i developed that technique when i was drag racing years ago.
    64 falcon
    66 mustang
    05 grand marquis

fordsix.com admin

Now that is hilarious.

its only stupid if it doesnt work.
    64 falcon
    66 mustang
    05 grand marquis

fordsix.com admin

...and it's funny, because it's true.
    Build Thread

I just replaced the ECU relay and no luck. Grrr...........

Down by the relay, I noticed a green clip of wires that seem to not connect to anywhere and a gray clip that only has a wire going in one side of it.

Name:  20140308_173704.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  64.9 KBName:  20140308_173733.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  94.4 KB

I have no idea what these do, if anything. I'm trying to go through the wiring diagrams to figure out what they are, but haven't found it yet.

I want this thing to start so bad that I think I'm starting to go crazy. I know it will be something stupid simple. So far, everything else looks connected and well grounded.

Even the new ECU relay doesn't click when I turn the key. Jumping the terminals with a paper clip did nothing there. I'm thinking that maybe it isn't getting fed any power.....but I seem to have misplaced my electrical tester and cant be sure.
    Last edited by Metalbass1979; 03-08-2014 at 07:41 PM.

I had the same identical problem with my 84 LX vert with the 3.8L. I will almost guarantee that your throttle position sensor is bad. When the TPS fries, it puts the car into a flood mode that prevents the injectors from pulsing and hence no fuel delivered for startup. The TPS is a pretty cheap part so I would try that before you dig any deeper into the electrical system and replace any more parts that are probably not bad. OH....one more thing....on mine I had to replace the voltage regulator also cause I was overcharging and I fried the first TPS I put in but the second one has lasted a long time now. Hope this helps cause I could have about torched my car before I figured that one out!

Let me know if that works.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast