Close

Default 85 Capri 5.0 GS Decoding

Hello, I am new to the site and just purchased a 85 5.0 GS Capri. I was lucky enough to get the original window sticker, Owner card and another sheet that has some of the same info that is on the window sticker, it may be the build sheet but I am not sure. It as a one owner car that was bought new in Miami and then the original owner moved to Georgia where it stayed until bought I this week.
    It looks to be a all original unmolested survivor. My first car when I was 16 was a 79 Capri RS wich was totaled 20 years ago and I have been looking for one for a couple of years. I was hoping someone could help decode it. The numbers on the owners warranty card are 1mebp79m8ff616293 23 and on the second line is 9lxp py 12f et 6d
    Thanks
    Dennis

Welcome to the site and congrats on your purchase. I'm sure FoxChassis will be along to help with the decoding. The other sheet you mention sounds like it could be the dealer invoice. It will list the options like the window sticker. The build sheet has more of the codes.

Thanks for the reply fascat. Do you know where I could find the build sheet? It is a 85 5.0 GS with a t bar roof, automatic, oxford white with sand beige interior with sport seats.

Um...I think we need to see pic's of this one...Oh & welcome...I had a line on one in the same color combo but lost it by 50 bucks...
    Last edited by onetrackrider; 02-27-2014 at 11:21 PM.
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

Can you take and post pics of the owner card, windows sticker, invoice, door tag, and buck tag?

It is actually a "Capri 5.0L" (formally Capri RS) due to a couple specific codes on the owner card that you have typed out.

Build sheet can be found anywhere, or nowhere, in the car. They were supposed to be discarded at the assembly plant, not left in the car. Two most common locations to find them are under the front carpet (have to remove front seats and pull carpet up) and behind the interior rear quarter trim plastics. Other locations to find them are under rear carpet (over spare tire), under rear seats, in spare tire well, and near kick panels.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by drholcombe View Post
    Thanks for the reply fascat. Do you know where I could find the build sheet? It is a 85 5.0 GS with a t bar roof, automatic, oxford white with sand beige interior with sport seats.
    No problem. I would like to see pictures of it as well. Like FoxChassis said, the build sheet could be anywhere in the car or no where at all. The previous owner of my car found it under the rear carpet above the spare tire.

Name:  2531.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  68.8 KBName:  2528.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  74.2 KBName:  2530.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  42.5 KBName:  2527.jpg
Size:  51.6 KBName:  2525.jpg
Size:  43.9 KBI found the build sheet under the spare tire and its in pretty good shape for being there since 85. I will load pictures of the window sticker, buid sheet, buck tag, door tag, owners card and invoice.
    Thanks
    Dennis

Name:  2450.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  106.5 KB

Here is a picture of the Capri on the trailer when I bought it this week.

Can you post a pic of the owner card? How many miles on the odometer?

VIN
    1ME = Mercury vehicle manufactured in USA
    B = active belts, no airbags
    P = passenger car
    79 = Capri 3-dr hatchback
    M = H.O. 5.0L V8 engine
    8 = VIN check digit
    F = 1985 model year
    F = Dearborn Assembly
    616293 = 16,293rd 1985 Mercury scheduled for production at Dearborn Assembly

Door Tag
    Date - 07/85 = July 1985 scheduled build
    F0024 = 24 lbs front accessory reserve load
    R0000 = 0 lbs rear accessory reserve load
    Exterior Paint Colors - 9L XP = Oxford White (9L), Dark Charcoal lower (XP)
    DSO - 23 = Jacksonville district sales office
    Body - 61D = Capri 3-dr hatchback
    Int Trim - PY = cloth Functional Sport seating (P), Sand Beige interior color (Y)
    A/C - 1
    R - 6 = electronic search AM/FM stereo cassette
    S - D = T-roof
    Ax - E = 3.27:1 axle ratio, Traction-Lok (limited slip) differential
    Tr - T = automatic overdrive transmission (AOD)
    BB = front springs
    TT = rear springs

Buck Tag
    CAPRI = Capri model line
    616293 = 16,293rd 1985 Mercury scheduled for production at Dearborn Assembly
    61D = Capri 3-dr hatchback
    M = H.O. 5.0L V8 engine
    TR = T-roof
    0541 = body & paint rotations # 0541
    9L = Oxford White exterior paint color
    TT = tu-tone paint (Dark Charcoal lower)
    DF
    ST
    AC = manual air conditioner
    06 = rear glass with defrost
    HB = heated backlite (rear defrost)
    S = fingertip speed control (cruise control)
    CRS = Capri RS (Capri 5.0L)
    WD = power side windows (W), power door locks (D)
    EL
    -Y = Sand Beige interior trim color
    CI = central injection (EFI)
    06 = rear glass with defrost
    X
    NLR

Owner Card
    1MEBP79M8FF616293 = [VIN decoded above]
    23 = Jacksonville district sales office
    9LXP = Oxford White exterior paint color (9L), Dark Charcoal lower (XP)
    PY = cloth Functional Sport seating (P), Sand Beige interior color (Y)
    12F = June 12th scheduled build
    ET = 3.27:1 axle ratio, Traction-Lok differential (E), automatic overdrive transmission (T)
    6D = electronic search AM/FM stereo cassette (6), T-roof (D)
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Thanks FoxChassis, I rodered a Marti report for it also. Here is acopy of the owners card. It is showing 13k on the odometer so I think it has rolled over once.
    Thanks
    Dennis

Name:  2529.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  31.4 KB

That is pretty neat that you have all those documents for it. I tried to get the dealer invoice for mine from Marti but they aren't able to locate it. I tried a couple of times. Your car looks pretty nice. I noticed on your invoice that your car was sold at Miami L-M. The 1969 Eliminator I use to own was sold there as well.

Thanks Fascat, The original owner bought it new in Miami and then moved to Atlanta, GA. I have the Georgia title and it has the same name that is in the owner card. It also says on the title previous titled in Florida and it was purchased by the owner in 85. So it is a real one owner car. The man I bought it from had the owners card, dealer invoice and windows sticker. I was lucky enought to find the build sheet in the spare tire well under the spare tire. I am waiting to see what the Marti report says about it. My first Capri was a 79 RS and it had the 200 in line 6 engine. I wish I still had the vin on it and the other tags to decode it but that was 22 years ago. Its funny back then when I had the Capri I wished it was a Mustang and now for the past few years I have been wanting another capri.

Nice find, Looks to be in great shape, post some more pics.

I bought mine new in 86.. I wish I still had my window sticker. I did get a marti report done on it. Post yours when u get it.

What was the sticker price on it ? I paid $12,500 for mine
    Original Owners Club
    Please post your name and ride in here:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/group.php?groupid=3

I got the Marti report for my 86 Capri today. It says mine is one of 90 with the same paint/trim code. Is that a low number?

Fredzilla, I will have to check and see what the sticker price was and Ill let you know.

I cant get the pdf file to load. Do I have to take a picture of it and then load it?

That's what i did, I just took a pic of it and put it in my album.
    Original Owners Club
    Please post your name and ride in here:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/group.php?groupid=3