Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1986 mustang coupe with a sunroof?

I had a guy complement my 86 coupe the other day and he said he had never seen a notch that year with a sunroof. So I kinda looked around and comes to find out I don't think I have ether. What's your thought??

Sunroof and T-roof were not available on the coupe body after the 1984 model year.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

it's there so 'who done it' is the question.

my thought is why would anyone cut a hole in a perfectly good roof?
    *FOXTOBERFEST* 2015 http://www.foxmustangrestoration.com/events
    85 T Top coupe 5.0 2R red, E7's, rpm intake, 4180 carb, 7.4 1/8
    83 CC capri 5.0 5 speed,black mesh wheels
    76 cobra II 302 auto black/gold, big cam 3 inch dumps- sold to a good friend
    92 coupe 5.0 5 speed -red
    92 Lx hatch 5.0 5 speed -black, 66 coupe 5.0 4 spd (project)
    87 Vert 5.0 AOD red stock as a rock

" Are you sure you know what you're talking about? It kinda sounds like you know what you're talking about"

I agree!! I thought it may had been factory because latemodelrstoration.com has the headliner for a 86 with a sunroof option and it appeared to be really well done so I just had no clue, thought I may have had something special lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Kohlpatrol View Post
    I agree!! I thought it may had been factory because latemodelrstoration.com has the headliner for a 86 with a sunroof option and it appeared to be really well done so I just had no clue, thought I may have had something special lol.

sometimes never and always don't fit when describing cars, post the buck tag and door tag info, see if it has a code for the sunroof

" Are you sure you know what you're talking about? It kinda sounds like you know what you're talking about"

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

Putting sunroofs in cars in the 70-80s was a popular thing in those years. Not many convertibles being made so people wanted something! Not so now.

Yeah.... they may not have been offered. But I'm sure there were those few customers that some how got the t roof or sunroof. I've seen a couple very convincing "factory-like" installations in the salvage yards. And don't forget KJs' (tech editor of 5.0 mustangs and fast fords) 86 T-top notch... original 5L car. Supposedly never had that as an option for that year for the 5L. But there his is... and 5L t-top notch. I've seen plenty of t-top/sunroof V6's or I4 notches in the yards over the many years I've been going.
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

Yes, just because something was not offered by the factory does not mean you couldn't get it done "aftermarket", but with factory parts.

Cars and Concepts, which did the factory T-roof conversion for Ford, also did aftermarket conversions, with the same parts as factory conversions. We've seen invoices where an owner had their car, which couldn't get a sunroof or T-roof as an option, shipped to Cars and Concepts to have the conversion done. And sunroof/T-roof/convertible shops anywhere in the country could use a Cars and Concepts "kit" for a conversion and make it look like a factory installation. Not sure whom did sunroof conversion for Ford? Cars and Concepts also? Surely there was a sunroof installation "kit" available to make it look factory. So in essence, it would be very easy to make a sunroof or T-roof installation look "factory" when in fact it was not.

The factory books say the T-roof wasn't available on coupes after 1984. The research that FEP paid for from Marti Auto Works using Ford's production database confirmed what the books said: no T-roof coupes after 1984. The factory books say the sunroof wasn't available on coupes after 1984. I'm sure if we had Marti Auto do research on that as well we'd get confirmation.

Bottom line is this: if the car has the codes it is "factory". If it does not have the codes it is aftermarket. None of the 1985+ coupes that have a sunroof or a T-roof have ever been able to prove (i.e. no codes) that they're anything other than an aftermarket conversion.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 02-25-2014 at 11:20 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

"Cars and Concepts,which did the factory T-roof conversion for Ford, also did aftermarket conversions"

factory= option ordered at/by the dealership, but not necessariy installed by "ford" or the "factory" since the conversions were farmed out anyway.

I wish Mr. Marti had been there
    Last edited by FM2NOTCH; 02-25-2014 at 11:39 AM.

Yes, for it to be a "factory" it had to be optional in the first place. If it was not optional, but your car has it anyway, it is not "factory", it is "aftermarket", even if it has factory parts.

Same can be said for convertible, as Ford did not do that either. Cars and Conceptts did ALL of the Mustang convertible conversions for Ford from 1983 through 1993.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Sunroof cars (Mustangs and those with non-power roofs) had to be done at the factory. The whole roof stamping is different inside structurally. My Mark VII has a factory sunroof, but those were farmed out and done by ASC I believe and they did a real butcher job if you ever see one without a headliner in it, it's rough. Even the hole for the switch is "cut" by drilling holes repeatedly but all Mark VIIs with sunroofs are like that. The Mustangs are a different story.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Yes, just because something was not offered by the factory does not mean you couldn't get it done "aftermarket", but with factory parts.

Cars and Concepts, which did the factory T-roof conversion for Ford, also did aftermarket conversions, with the same parts as factory conversions. We've seen invoices where an owner had their car, which couldn't get a sunroof or T-roof as an option, shipped to Cars and Concepts to have the conversion done. And sunroof/T-roof/convertible shops anywhere in the country could use a Cars and Concepts "kit" for a conversion and make it look like a factory installation. Not sure whom did sunroof conversion for Ford? Cars and Concepts also? Surely there was a sunroof installation "kit" available to make it look factory. So in essence, it would be very easy to make a sunroof or T-roof installation look "factory" when in fact it was not.

The factory books say the T-roof wasn't available on coupes after 1984. The research that FEP paid for from Marti Auto Works using Ford's production database confirmed what the books said: no T-roof coupes after 1984. The factory books say the sunroof wasn't available on coupes after 1984. I'm sure if we had Marti Auto do research on that as well we'd get confirmation.

Bottom line is this: if the car has the codes it is "factory". If it does not have the codes it is aftermarket. None of the 1985+ coupes that have a sunroof or a T-roof have ever been able to prove (i.e. no codes) that they're anything other than an aftermarket conversion.
    Why do you think I said "But I'm sure there were those few customers that some how got the t roof or sunroof." I left that open to interpretation.

I'm sure the dealers may have had a few customers that wanted the t-roof or sun roof or a dealer figured people would want one and they knew where to go to get it done. Or maybe Ford themselves could have had a few done and just not documented it.

I'll stir, my 85 coupe has T Tops and is as real as KJ's. mine has no code for it and Kj 's was never proven to have a code either, seen pics of about 3 more 85 coupes with t tops and they were all red. Hmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by FM2NOTCH View Post
    I'll stir, my 85 coupe has T Tops and is as real as KJ's. mine has no code for it and Kj 's was never proven to have a code either, seen pics of about 3 more 85 coupes with t tops and they were all red. Hmmmm.
    Oh, I believe you. But there are some that just wont believe it's factory unless ford has records on it. lol... Ford did not keep good records then... and before then. And they've been known to have errors.

Nobody can explain the very original 65 Mustang with a V8 that a friend had. It's VIN said it came with an I6. But yet even concourse judges were stumped. Nothing pointed to it ever being an I6 car. It's always been a V8 car.
    Last edited by Marz; 02-25-2014 at 06:56 PM.

it is what it is, basically a leaking glass roof

I've got a friend with a body code 28 in the vin for a hatch..... but it's a coupe/trunk/notch that should have the code 26, it's still under investigation but he probably doesn't care

Quote Originally Posted by FM2NOTCH View Post
    it is what it is, basically a leaking glass roof

I've got a friend with a body code 28 in the vin for a hatch..... but it's a coupe/trunk/notch that should have the code 26, it's still under investigation but he probably doesn't care
    Yeah. The sunroof in my Futura leaked. Took care of most of it. But there was that one that I just couldn't fix it. No matter. It doesn't rain all that much in Los Angeles.

So where can I find this code? Is it just the vin number?

On the door tag and buck tag.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

metal buck tag is on the front of the driver side radiator support, usually screwed on or stapled, door tag sticker is stuck on the drivers door near the latch.

write down all the info or post a pic.

Last edited by FM2NOTCH; 02-25-2014 at 09:47 PM.

Cool

Ok guys here we go!!

Here's what it translated to from the tag near the radiator. The door tag is gone, and sorry about the bad imaging its dark here in Ky! And it would be kinda cool if you could maybe tell me what kind of car I've got. No clue what all this means lol
    Last edited by Kohlpatrol; 02-25-2014 at 10:49 PM.

MUSTANG = Mustang model line
    229423 = 129,423rd 1986 Ford scheduled for production at Dearborn Assembly
    66B = Mustang 2-dr coupe
    A = 2.3L engine
    [blank] = no moonroof/sunroof (MO) or T-roof (TR)
    0718 = body & rotations # 0718
    9L = Oxford White exterior paint color
    DF
    ST
    PS
    S = fingertip speed control (cruise control)
    DL = power door locks
    01 = no hood scoop
    Y = Sand Beige interior trim color
    X

Car does not have the following options:
    air conditioning
    rear defrost
    power windows
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 02-26-2014 at 07:29 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Thanks man that's cool! So is there any rarety to this car

Nothing rare there. You could get a "deluxe" Marti Report (click here for link) and that will tell you how many 1986 coupes ...

... had the same paint (9L)
    ... had the same paint (9L) and trim (_Y)
    ... had the same engine (A) and trans (V?)
    ... were ordered through the same DSO
    ... had the same [one random] option
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 02-26-2014 at 12:24 PM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

it's rare enough just being a 4 eyed 86 coupe

Thanks guys for all your help I have for sure gained some knowledge on my car I didn't know about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast