Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 8.8 vibration damper (aka dogbone) bushings

has anyone ever replaced their bushings in one of these things? i just put 31 spline stuff and 4.10 gears in my 8.8, and one of the bushings is trashed in this thing. i haven't taken a good look at it yet since it is still attached to the housing. i just looked online and can't seem to find anything through searching.

and so you know... i'm not interested in comments pertaining to ditching it, so save yourself some time if that's what you are going to post.

thanks,
    cale

FEP Super Member

I'd just try to find another.. the 8.8 I bought didn't come with one so I had to source one local and it was free if I came and got it so I did that..
    71 Dodge Demon Green/Blk big turbo slant 6 in progress
    83 GT Red/Blk HCI 306/ 3550/ 4.30 8.8
    93 LX Reef Blue/ Grey stock bolts on's/ T5/ 3.55 8.8
    page 1 of my 83 GT build thread
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=85989

93 LX build thread
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...73#post1569973

FEP Power Member

I believe I have an NOS unit which I bought to replace the one on a 7.5. Totally different. Send me a PM if interested.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

how much is an nos dog bone worth?

cale

Just curious why you don't want to remove it?
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

fill it up with something in a tube from lowe's, I've seen people use construction adhesive also
    *FOXTOBERFEST* 2015 http://www.foxmustangrestoration.com/events
    85 T Top coupe 5.0 2R red, E7's, rpm intake, 4180 carb, 7.4 1/8
    83 CC capri 5.0 5 speed,black mesh wheels
    76 cobra II 302 auto black/gold, big cam 3 inch dumps- sold to a good friend
    92 coupe 5.0 5 speed -red
    92 Lx hatch 5.0 5 speed -black, 66 coupe 5.0 4 spd (project)
    87 Vert 5.0 AOD red stock as a rock

" Are you sure you know what you're talking about? It kinda sounds like you know what you're talking about"

FEP Power Member

Not totally sure, but foxresto.com might have it. Prothane might also sell the bushings as a kit. They should be available. I've seen them at online sites. I'd avoid using something in a tube to squirt in there. It would never cure hard enough to work properly.

I'm curious what harmonic/vibration at what speed this is suppose to cure?

I've searched the shop manuals and haven't found any documentation on the dogbone.

Very interesting piece tho'

looks like dead weight to me but I guess it has a purpose. good wheel chock maybe?

" Are you sure you know what you're talking about? It kinda sounds like you know what you're talking about"

I'm sure the purpose is to dampen a vibration or harmonic. I think I'll leave mine off of my SVO when I get it back on the road and see if I notice any vibrations. If so, easy enough to bolt back on and see what difference it makes.

FEP Senior Member burntorange84's Avatar

excellent!

Cale,

Ford may still have these at the dealer since the stang 8.8 didn't change that much up to 2004.

-j
    Last edited by burntorange84; 02-25-2014 at 01:35 PM.

Great link! I think I will either drive slower or put the Mooseb.......ahh dogbone back on!

If all of this engineering is done with new pieces and tight tolerances, imagine the calculation results after 100K miles and chunks of rust on driveline (driveshaft) parts.

FYI: the guy that wrote that 17-page article - Jerry Wroblewski - was a Ford Driveline Engineer and Transmission Engineer, and owner of Super Chips Tuning. Anybody that has ever modified an AODE or 4R70W trans with "Jerry's Mod" knows the name.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 02-25-2014 at 01:51 PM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Hmm, I'm getting an error for this link. I think I found the article (Chapter 17 Driveline Critical Speed) at the TCCoA website, but I get the same error that way, too. Maybe it's just a temporary problem with their website?

I've always been curious about the dogbone, now I can't read the explanation. Can someone provide the Cliff's Notes version?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Present: '84.5 Mustang GT T-top, '06 Mazdaspeed6
    Past: '79 5.0 Capri, '86 Buick GN, '90 Mustang GT, '92 SHO, '95 SHO
    Browse cover pages of my Fox Chassis related library

Quote Originally Posted by Saturn V View Post
    Hmm, I'm getting an error for this link. I think I found the article (Chapter 17 Driveline Critical Speed) at the TCCoA website, but I get the same error that way, too. Maybe it's just a temporary problem with their website?

I've always been curious about the dogbone, now I can't read the explanation. Can someone provide the Cliff's Notes version?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I also get an error, but if I move my scroll bar the text appears (try it).

Great article FoxChassis

Going to try my PC, the article won't show up on a iPad in Safari or tapatalk.

I can see it on my desktop. There's an error message at the top of the page, but I can see the article.

WOOOOOOO!!!! WEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

I read the article, seems like it's purpose is to make the drivetrain quieter but does nothing to stop driveshaft flexing, ring & pinion slop or anything else mechanical.

It's a dampener so as such it only dampens drivetrain harmonics, it does not prevent them. Just the same as a harmonic dampener (its not a harmonic balancer) bolted to the front of the crankshaft only dampens rotating assembly harmonics, it's doesn't prevent them.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Guess I have never reached the Critical Speed in my 84 yet. No dogbone on my rear end and I have the FRPP aluminum driveshaft and 3.73 gears. Or maybe I have and I just didn't notice
    05 Corvette Z51

When your car is modified...more power, louder exhaust, stiffer suspension...you tend to care less about NVH.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

When I swapped my 8.8 in, I did not get the dampeners with it. I had read the article before also, I agree with FM2notch.
    I found used on ebay for $30. Not sure if it made a difference or not. I am not above ridding extraneous junk off of the car, but this seemed so funky I figured there must be a reason for it.
    Last edited by narvelle 1; 03-13-2014 at 05:09 PM.

The Moose Bal… err… dog bone thing can also change the harmonic frequency of rear axle wrap under
    acceleration that's commonly associated with wheel hop. Just some more food for thought...
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast