Close

Default Possible reasons for door ajar and dome light to go off/turn on while driving?

My '78 2dr sedan did something odd today while commuting to work: The door ajar buzzer started buzzing and the dome light turned on while driving.

What is even more strange is this is the first time either worked since I bought the car 2 years ago! The dome light didn't work even when I used the light switch to turn it on. Unfortunately, I never bothered to trouble shoot since both were way down the list of things to fix. The buzzer actually was some thing I was going to yank since I hate key-in-ignition-door-ajar-pointless-buzzing. Since the buzzing was really aggravating me I opened the glove box and yanked the buzzer off when stopped at a red light. I also removed the dome light bulb (the lens has long since disintegrated to dust).

Going home, I put the bulb back in and it did not turn on.

Is it possible for one of the door light switches to short causing the buzzer and light to activate? How else could this happen? I plan to do continuity checks on the switches and check to see if there is power going to the buzzer plug. I should probably try plugging everything in and see if it happens again.

Dean T

P.S.

This car had other things which were not working when I bought it begin working after I drove it a while: radio; frozen temperature and HVAC selector levers unsticking; something-else-I-forgot.
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

sorry I cant help here, but may I add something while we at it, How to disable the buzz noise for good, it bother me
    Always Stay Humble. -Sinister-

You too? LOL I understand. What I did was open my glove box door, reach up from behind the moulding next to the fresh air vent (inside the dash shell) and grabbed the buzzer module and twisted it 90 degrees. gently pulled it down so I can grab the buzzer module and removed it from the connector. Done! If you do this you will also disable your seat belt fastener buzzer because on the later Mustangs (possibly all 4 eyes) the seat belt and door ajar buzzer is one and the same while they are two separate buzzers on the 1978 Fairmont and Zephyrs. I think by 1979 Ford combined the two. I've yanked the buzzers from all my daily drivers if they were still functional. I figured if my '65 Mustang didn't have a buzzer, I don't need one now! [Only situation I can say this!]
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

Quote Originally Posted by Dean_T View Post
    You too? LOL I understand. What I did was open my glove box door, reach up from behind the moulding next to the fresh air vent (inside the dash shell) and grabbed the buzzer module and twisted it 90 degrees. gently pulled it down so I can grab the buzzer module and removed it from the connector. Done! If you do this you will also disable your seat belt fastener buzzer because on the later Mustangs (possibly all 4 eyes) the seat belt and door ajar buzzer is one and the same while they are two separate buzzers on the 1978 Fairmont and Zephyrs. I think by 1979 Ford combined the two. I've yanked the buzzers from all my daily drivers if they were still functional. I figured if my '65 Mustang didn't have a buzzer, I don't need one now! [Only situation I can say this!]
    thank you !!! thank you !!!
    Always Stay Humble. -Sinister-

You probably have a bad switch in one of the doors. I have had that happen before, it is possible for them to short.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

I'd agree on the short circuit or broken wire, if the dome light never worked even when you turned the switch, something somewhere is broken. If your power source is shorting out, it would probably have blown the fuse. You mentioned a continuity tester, that's your best bet to chasing down where the breakdown is. If the buzzer and light came on at the same time, that's a pretty good indication it has to do with one of the door switches, that's the only thing that would control them both, except for the wires that run to the switch. Good luck!