Close

Default '79 a/c information

hey all its been a long time since I posted anything but I'm back to making progress on my build. currently I've got the dash pulled on my 1979 cobra currently and while it's out I wanted to replace certain components that are now more than 30 years old. These include the heater core and evaporator core mainly (5.0 with factory air). I had no problem sourcing a heater core but I can't find an evaporator to save my life.

A few phone calls got me a couple of different part numbers but nobody has one for a 79. So what I'm looking to find out is what kind of interchangeability I have with my current heater/blower assembly between other years for the evaporator. I know I could change the whole system to a later year setup but I'd like to keep this as simple as possible so I can focus on other aspects of the car.

So if anyone knows somewhere that sells new evaporators for a 79, or knows if I could use a 80-82 one, please let me know. Or maybe I'll be okay with my current one. There's no guarantee it's bad but the car has been sitting inside for almost 20 years so I figured replace it while its still easy.

thanks in advance.

Well, let's back this up a bit. Is there something wrong with your evaporator core? I've still got the original in
    my '65, among others. If the fittings were kept covered, it should be a simple matter of flushing and pressure
    testing the one you have. Evaporators don't really have a "use by" date.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

That's partially what I was thinking. It was all left hooked up so the fittings should be fine. Nothings been pressure tested I was just thinking about it since I have mose of the other components disassembled.