Close

Default Should be simple but nothing ever is

I take it there must be some sort of clip or retainer for a wiper arm removal. You would think somebody trying to work on cars could figure out how to take off a wiper arm but alas don't see exactly how it would get released. Any help for a moron would be greatly appreciated
    85 GT Vert 5 Speed 42K original miles As of right now Stock to the bone well not so much bolt ons going on

You are not alone on this, I alway get a free install at autozone , when ever I bought wiper blade.
    Always Stay Humble. -Sinister-

At the base of the arm there is a pin that needs to be slid out about 1/8". Then the arm can be pulled off the shaft. Don't forget to push the pin back in after the arm has been replaced.

The shaft and arm are splined so don't be surprised if you have to make a few adjustments (remove/rotate slightly/re-install) a few times to get the blade to rest at the correct orientation on the windshield.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Blades I can Handle LOL But I am going to rebuild the wiper motor which requires a clip removal from under the cowl vent which means the Passenger side wiper arm has to come off first. What do You think my chances are of a smooth succesful wiper rebuild will be when I can't even figure out how to get the wiper arm off. Not To Bueno? LOL
    85 GT Vert 5 Speed 42K original miles As of right now Stock to the bone well not so much bolt ons going on

Thanks FoxChasis I figured it had to be something simple right in front of my eyes. So this pin stays locked in an open position I take it. I will mark the position with a grease pencil so hopefully I can get it clocked correctly on the first try when it goes back in Thanks Again

It's more like a little tab, that is part of a pivoting retainer plate. The tab is visible on the upper side
    of the wiper arm, just adjacent to where the shaft goes into the arm. It doesn't really lock in either
    position, but will tend to stay where it's put.

To slide the arm off the shaft takes a rocking motion, while putting upward pressure on the shaft end
    of the arm.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

You must lift the wiper arm to unlock the clip as shown in this video from LMR: http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...-Install-Video

lockedName:  002.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  113.0 KB unlockedName:  001.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  116.7 KB

GMATT Thanks Videos for Dummies Exactly what I needed. I don't feel so stupid now there were some little tricks to do this. You guys ROCK as always. I don't think I could do anything to this car without FEP. A Supporter Forever

No problem, glad to help. You don't know until you know. Well, now you know. Go have fun.

I take mine off at the arm mount so rarely that by the time I need do it again I've forgotten about that dumb little sliding clip and usually spend 20 minutes trying to remember how I didi it last time. You are not alone.

It took me a while to figure it out the first time too. Once you have the wiper arm pulled up away from the windshield and "locked" in the up position by that little clip you slide out, it comes off really easily.

Thanks FEP'S

I prop the wipers in the up position whenever I clean the windshield. Makes it much easier to get all the crud out from around and underneath the blades. Can also clean the blades.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

It's been so long since I removed the entire wiper linkage assembly, I will be surprised if I remember exactly how it goes back in on my first try (a few months from now hopefully).
    1983 5.0 GT convertible. Restored 2011 - 2014

Quote Originally Posted by gmatt View Post
    You must lift the wiper arm to unlock the clip as shown in this video from LMR: http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...-Install-Video

lockedName:  002.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  113.0 KB unlockedName:  001.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  116.7 KB
    Sorry to bump an old thread but just wanted to say thanks for providing the photos. This is exactly what I needed to see. I'm getting ready to remove my cowl panel for repainting so the passenger side arm has to be removed first. Thanks again.