Close

FEP Member

Default Anyone running a 9 inch diff.behind a Fox?

I've got an oldschool Lincoln Versailles 9" disc diff. that was modified to fit Under an '82 Mustang years ago and currently having a new posi/gears ready for it and new brakes. I never got the driveshaft from the '82 it was in and wanting to know if/how anyone dealt with the rear d-shaft yoke when doing a 9" conversion on a Fox? I have an 8.8 and FMS al. d-shaft right now Under my '82 and would like to stay with the 4-bolt flat flange on the d-shaft as I imagine I will need some sort of spacer between the d-shaft& 9" pinion flange.Anybody done this conversion?- Thanks!

I have a 9" rear in mine and I simply have the ujoint bolted right onto the pinion yoke. You may have to figure out what ujoint style is on the pinion yoke vs what ujoint the driveshaft is setup for.
    I'm using the stock driveshaft & with the 9" and 8.8 pinion spacer thing gone, the trans yoke hangs out of the back of the tranny about 5/8 of an inch more than it used to.
    I was originally worried it would be a big deal but it isn't.

FEP Member

Thanks man; didn't want to mess with my al. d-shaft but I guess I will. I'm having the diff. setup with a regular U-bolt style 9"pinion yoke for 1330-series U-joint as Ford racing states is what is in their al. d-shafts.

Get your drive shaft rebalanced, or better yet, get a new one. I did the same thing, removed the rear flange and bolted it directly to the pinion yoke but had some vibration issues. A new custom drive shaft from denny's drive shaft solved that issue.

I have Ford 9 inch on my ls1 camaro, make sure to use regular fluid and not synthetic fluid, the builder told me.
    Always Stay Humble. -Sinister-

I have the same rear end under my 1983 Thunderbird, wish it was narrowed a little. I used a aluminum drive shaft from a crown vic police cruiser, I had it cut down and balanced, works great.

FEP Member

I have a Ford Racing al. d-shaft and they come pre-balanced; either way I found a mid-80's 9" van pinion flange that is flat like a Fox and 28-spline so should be fine without touching my al. d-shaft rear flange.