Close

Thread: svo tail lights

Default svo tail lights

Hi.. my svo tail lights have seen better times.. i found a distribuitor that handles the 1986 non svo mustang tail lights.. are this the same the svo uses? obviously the svo has 6 black stripes on each one but besides the stripes is there any other diference? in color for example? i look at my svos and they seem to be darker.. am i right or is this only an ilusion the stripes make?

The stripes are the only difference.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

The stripes are also painted on with a jig at the factory.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by rogelioifmradio View Post
    Hi.. my svo tail lights have seen better times.. i found a distribuitor that handles the 1986 non svo mustang tail lights.. are this the same the svo uses? obviously the svo has 6 black stripes on each one but besides the stripes is there any other diference? in color for example? i look at my svos and they seem to be darker.. am i right or is this only an ilusion the stripes make?
    Black stripes were only on '84's... '85 & '86's had grey along with the '93 Cobra.
    '85GT Bright Atlantic Blue
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '93 COBRA Teal Metallic-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '86GT 'Vert True Blue-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

FEP Power Member

There were some repro SVO still lights out there with pin stripe tape stripes. Also the painted ones have a void over the side reflector.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

1983-84 taillight trim is black
    1985-86 (and 1993 Cobra) taillight trim is dark charcoal

The taillight trim basically matches most of the rest of the trim on the outside of the car.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

LMR has the repops in black or charcoal. As said above the charcoal is correct for your 86.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...o-For-93-Cobra
    1970 U14 Bronco
    1983 911 SC
    Sold - 1986 SVO 1D #9823

Are you sure they arent smoked? I al talking about the plastic not the stripes or trim ..
    They kinda look smoked to me..
    Anyway .. This are the one i found on México .
    I can put the stripes with decals dont you think? Name:  image.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  27.6 KB

People that stripe their non-Cobra/SVO taillights almost always use tape. I don't know that I've ever heard of anybody painting them.

The lenses are not "smoked" from the factory. They're the same lenses regardless if they're SVO or non-SVO, except the SVO lenses are striped.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

I used 3m striping tape when I did mine. Came out great IMO.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    '85GT Bright Atlantic Blue
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '93 COBRA Teal Metallic-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '86GT 'Vert True Blue-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by escogt View Post
    I used 3m striping tape when I did mine. Came out great IMO.
    That does look great! I am planning on repainting and polishing mine to refresh them.

If yours on your car look smoked, maybe a previous owner tinted them. They were not smoked from the factory.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    There were some repro SVO still lights out there with pin stripe tape stripes. Also the painted ones have a void over the side reflector.
    This is correct. I was visiting with Daniel Carpenter, years ago, when he had just finished the first sample of the lenses. It was done on the original Ford tooling and compared to an NOS piece it looked great. The big question was how to cost effectively do the stripes (both black and grey). He has the original Ford drawings for the stripe layout, they even show the "void" on the side deflector. With such a small demand it was going to have to be done by hand. Initially he worked with a guy who was actually "legally" blind to mask them off and paint them. If I remember correctly he was charging $60 per lense for this. Anyway, the tape stripes ended up being the best solution, then let the buyer decide if they want to mask off and paint. It is really not that difficult.
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    People that stripe their non-Cobra/SVO taillights almost always use tape. I don't know that I've ever heard of anybody painting them.
    I have always painted my stripes on when I did them. I did the same for any SVO's that I "restored"/repainted too. For my personal vehicles I also clear coated the stripes as it protected them and made the tail lights look brand new. But this was also back when the tail light lens were not reproduced and the Factory Ford ones were cost prohibitive.

The 3M striping tape works fine too, but I always preferred the paint myself.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

i beg your pardon.. what is "the void"?
    i mean... what part of the tail light lenses is..

The center paint stripe stops on the side of the lens, where the side marker light shines through, while the stripe above and below it continue to the edge of the lens.

Name:  svo taillight.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  54.4 KB
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

The center paint stripe stops on the side of the lens, where the side marker light shines through, while the stripe above and below it continue to the edge of the lens.

just wow never knew that..i just thought it had worn off there ...
    the movie twister..i lived it big cabin oklahoma summer of '73

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBXnM5-B1T4
    current cars
    1984 gt 350 vert. second owner
    1986 lx 5.0 hatchback gone but not forgotten

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    That does look great! I am planning on repainting and polishing mine to refresh them.
    Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I have always painted my stripes on when I did them. I did the same for any SVO's that I "restored"/repainted too. For my personal vehicles I also clear coated the stripes as it protected them and made the tail lights look brand new. But this was also back when the tail light lens were not reproduced and the Factory Ford ones were cost prohibitive.

The 3M striping tape works fine too, but I always preferred the paint myself.

Trey
    Here is a brief thread post on SVOCOP that gave me more info on how to paint them: http://www.svocop.com/forum/showthre...ll=1#post20212

Wow, the things you learn. I'm with Tulsa, I would have thought it was MIA or rubbed off. It was the same with the fog light covers not having the white on them. They need an idiosyncrasy book for cars!

I know there is a NOS passenger side tail light on eBay, but it is a little expensive and shipping rates suck. It is only one though, if I was to buy, I would try to get a pair.

Painting the tail light lenses is not too difficult. The masking is the major PIA. I completely wash and clean the lenses then I either color sand with 400-600 grit depending on the condition of the parts. Otherwise I scuff everything up with a gray scotchbrite pad. I wash and clean again and allow to dry completely. Then I use 3M fine line masking to mask off the actual stripes just as if I were pinstripping the lenses. Then I mask off the rest of the red lens area with 3M Green masking tape leaving only the gray/black areas unmasked. Then I remove the fine line masking tape to reveal the red parts of the lens that will get painted stripes. Make sure all the masking tape is well seated and smooth, tack rag off the lenses and prepare to spray. I then spray a couple of coats of adhesion promoter allow to flash as needed. Then I spray the actual color coat, either the black or gray depending on year model. Allow everything to flash off, then I remove the masking completely, lightly tack rag again and then spray 2-3 coats of clear over the entire lens. Allow to dry and reinstall.

If the lenses are in great shape and do not need to be "restored" due to sun damage, scratches, fading, etc. then you can omit the sanding/scuffing of the entire lens and only scuff up the stripe areas after removing the fine line tape. Then spray your color coat or color coat/clear, unmask, and allow to dry before install.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Just to let everyone know. When I read the review for the late model restoration tail lights that Brian posted it showed a picture of them and they did not have the "void" on the side of them.

I'll be back with a better pic tomorrow.
    Last edited by Ken P; 09-03-2014 at 08:51 PM.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by kurant502 View Post
    Just to let everyone know. When I read the review for the late model restoration tail lights that Brian posted it showed a picture of them and they did not have the "void" on the side of them.
    Good eye. You are correct. I have a new set of replacement lenses I bought in the spring from LMR that haven't made it on the car yet (apparently I didn't inspect them too closely either) and they do NOT have the void AND they are tape not paint (I just double checked). Easy to create the void by peeling off a little tape i guess but I honestly expected paint on and correct!

I am surprised Ken never came back with a pic?? This is a 'different' view of the 'void' as I took this showing my LED bulb brightness for the side marker light and is also shows the stripe pattern. This has always been a debate amongst us SVO folks, but the general consensus is this is one of the identifiers of factory original lenses, since most folks who either refurbish or convert lenses used to always miss this detail.

Name:  Light - Bulb_LED_Tails_04.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  80.4 KB
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    Here is a brief thread post on SVOCOP that gave me more info on how to paint them: http://www.svocop.com/forum/showthre...ll=1#post20212

Wow, the things you learn. I'm with Tulsa, I would have thought it was MIA or rubbed off. It was the same with the fog light covers not having the white on them. They need an idiosyncrasy book for cars!

I know there is a NOS passenger side tail light on eBay, but it is a little expensive and shipping rates suck. It is only one though, if I was to buy, I would try to get a pair.
    I've been talking to Matt at NPD. He's their resident Fox expert and the guy who put their Fox catalog together. The most complete Fox parts catalog out there. Tons of NOS parts that other vendors don't have access to.

Since Daniel Carpenter uses the original Ford tool, and the same mix of plastics, with the same part number and Ford script on the lens, I doubt anyone could distinguish between an original lens and a Carpenter produced lens. If you paint the stripes with the correct grey metallic paint, it's going to be nearly impossible to distinguish between the two. We're not talking off shore parts here. Carpenter has many of the SVO original tools, but since the market is so small, especially for the later cars, it's cost prohibitive to manufacture headlights, inner marker lights outer lenses, etc. About $10,000 to produce an initial run of parts. Not enough cars or demand unfortunately.
    Dan Aiken

'85.5 Jalapena Red SVO, cloth, roof, 52k miles bought from original owner.
    '79 Pace Car #7 - Pre-production prototype and Indy Airport Display Car, sold and awaiting body off resto
    '79 Indy Pace Truck #3607
    '79 Indy 500 go-kart
    '94 F250 Indy 500 Safety Truck #2 (used at the race) - will be for sale soon
    '15 Mustang Ecoboost, (my DD)
    '03 Crown Victoria LX Sport (a Marauder without the motor)