Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Best thing to do is find out what year the harness is. 90+ had the airbag. If the harness has the fuel pump relay and the AC cut out relay in the engine bay then you have the 90+ harness. Then buy an EVTM manual for your year car and the year of the harness.

Since it is a Mustang you are converting it is best to fond a complete SEFI mustang and strip it for it's complete harness (minus the headlights) and swap it over. Though I bought the harness that goes to the rear, removed the fuel pump wiring I needed, and will rewrap it and place it next to the existing wiring in my 85 GT.
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

Ok. The research I have been doing I don't see any one installing a barametric sensor. So I hopefully am good there. If not I am gonna say screw it and buy a ms kit and be done. I went this way cause it was easier and all the connectors were there. The mass air wireing is unusually long. So I am gonna check it again tonight and see I I was in fact wired in.

The harness has got to be an 86 it matches my Haynes manual. No air bag but has a fuel pump relay.

Just checked my wireing this thing has stock mass air wired right in to the ecu. But no barametric sensor. Any ideas? I have no clue but put it in and give it a try

I have been doing some research and have been finding people using the map sensor instead of the bap sensor. where exactly should the connector be at for the map sensor? same as the bap sensor on a newer one?

BAPs and MAPs have the same electrical connection. The difference is BAPs need to be hooked to engine vacuum while the MAP is left open to air.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

ok I have that figured out. I think my harness is newer. it has the mass wired directly to the ecu like its supposed to be. but the wire colors match the ones on a 86 wiring diagram.

Is there a factory tag on the bundle? A part number will help identify what year it is.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

No. Would the 60 pin connector have a stamp or anything on it? I am wondering if it's not a California harness out of an 86. I read that those had the mass on them. I just find it odd that it has it. The wireing doesn't match the ford svo manual I have but it matches the Haynes that I have for the 86 harness just don't show a mass air. I am gonna see if there's not a California specific diagram in it.

California '87 has mass air. I found when doing my EFI swap the wire colors don't always match the diagrams even when you are sure of the year of the wiring. That is why I suggest using different sources for wiring diagrams. I have even seen wires change color after a connection, when the diagram said it should be one color all the way back to the computer. Spread out the whole harness and label everything, trace the wires fro the connector to the computer.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

My information shows that the 1988 CA model was the first Mustang with Mass Air and then 89 was all 50 states.

As mentioned above, I would label everything and trace the wires manually rather than just relying on the wire diagrams. It is not unusual for the diagrams to be wrong or off and it's not unusual for Ford to make running changes during a model year that match up with the next model year and not the current.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    My information shows that the 1988 CA model was the first Mustang with Mass Air and then 89 was all 50 states.

As mentioned above, I would label everything and trace the wires manually rather than just relying on the wire diagrams. It is not unusual for the diagrams to be wrong or off and it's not unusual for Ford to make running changes during a model year that match up with the next model year and not the current.

Good Luck!

Trey
    Yes, you are correct, not sure why I wrote '87.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

When i did my efi swap on my 79 i found these two sites very helpful. the wire colors didn't match my 87 donor but the pinouts of the conectors went along way to helping me fill in the gaps. cars been running great for a couple of summers now.

http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/FordEFISwap.htm

The second site appears to be down. maybe moved? it used to be "oldfuelinjection.com"
    I hope it comes back, TONS and TONS of useful info there when it was working.

Anyway, i hope the one link helps.

Thank you guys very much. I really appriciate the help. My uncle always helped me wih this stuff but he passed away in 2010. So when I get help from you guys trust me the help is much appriciated. And sorry for any stupid questions.lol the diagram I just printed off seems to be right. It's only going off of 2 connectors which is what mine are. Black and grey. Seems to be going with it so far. If those two connectors ring a bell as to what year it is please do tell.

Wingnut180 that's the one I printed off. But i don't know where my vss wires are. I have to wires that have to go to the neg and pos ones. Also why do I have to hook up a power for the o2 wires? It says something about that.

I never hooked up my vss wires, and it worked ok for me, but i have heard of many that have idle issues without them. My donor car was an 87 gt 5sp with speed density. It's been 3 summers since i did the swap so some of the details are a bit fuzzy, but i'm thinking the vss wires were in part of the o2 sensor harness. and would have gone to a sensor plugged into the trans where the speedo cable goes. My car is inaccessible until the snow goes away so it may be a few weeks until i could look at my harness.

The o2 sensors need power because they are heated. without power to them the car isn't going to run correctly. I made a circut to power these using a relay triggered by key on power. It may have been overkill but i didn't trust the 30 yr old wiring for this. i could be wrong but i heard that there is a bit of current draw to these and fox ignition switches aren't exactly known for handling high current draw well.

Ok thank you very much. I do have more questions but I need to look at those pages I printed out. So on the power wire for the o2 I can put it to a switched source and put a fuse in it?

So pretty much all I need to do is hook up the 3 power wires and it's good to go?

I think that with the power wires it would run, Make sure you ground everything.
    Don't forget to ground the computers case. the factory mount has a ground built in.

From what i remember, you need to run=
    battery power to computer,
    keyed power to computer,
    power to the HEGOs (heated o2s)
    keyed power to fuel pump,
    There is one wire from the big computer connector that is supposed to go to the power output of the FP relay

To make it "right" you also need or should have,
    Neutral and clutch safety switches,
    check eng light
    vss
    fuel pump inertia safety switch
    and all gauges

Remember this list may be incomplete. I'm trying to help by memory and it's been a while.
    After you get it hooked up, Whether it runs or not it's a good idea to try to pull any trouble codes from the
    computer to be sure you've got everything.

For me anyway the swap only seemed like it was a PITA until i heard it fire for the first time.
    after that i spend a few weeks chasing down little bugs. Mainly old sensors that i didn't replace when i pulled
    the engine out of the donor car. since then i haven't looked back. the car always puts a grin on my face
    when i leave it parked for a while and have it fire right up with no drama and then be able to drive it around at
    around 22mpg. I can almost keep up with my friends chevy but he only gets 8mpg.

If theres other important stuff i forgot i'm hoping someone else will chime in. i know plenty of ppl on here
    have gone this route before us.

Wingnut180-- it says blue with red stripe- start power, connect to starter solenoid trigger wire. Is that the wire that goes to the key?

Red with green stripe- ignition power, connect to ignition powered wire, usually previous coil power feed. Is that the coil power wire? What did you do on that one?

sorry for the wait, work has been busy and i've been away from the computer.
    yes blue with red stripe sounds right for the wire that goes from the key start to the trigger on the solenoid, but i still have a foot of snow freezing the cover to the ground on mine. If you don't have it sorted out by the time it thaws abit more i'll be happy to double check it.
    for the coil wire i think i clipped the power wire from the old 79 coil where it came out of the harness between the shock tower and the booster and spliced it to the new coil power. (i got rid of the old cyl style coil and am using an accel efi style now)

hay man its no biggie. I really appreciate it . my 82 wiring for the coil is gone... so I will any hot wire do? I would love to start it this coming month theres a big cruse in September that I am gonna drive it in..... hopefully..

wingnut180 you said::From what i remember, you need to run=
    battery power to computer,
    keyed power to computer,
    power to the HEGOs (heated o2s)
    keyed power to fuel pump,
    There is one wire from the big computer connector that is supposed to go to the power output of the FP relay

do remember what wire from the computer connector is hooked up? is that in the schematic that you sent me? the one that I said I am going off of?

I have one wire hooked up to the starter like it says. I have the coil wire hooked up to a switched hot. And still have to get the o2 hot wire hooked up. And ground the thing and a ecu power relay. After all that the thing should fire up right?

I think I found the power wire you were talking about that has to go to the big connector. I think its blue with a black stripe. It is already in the harness it goes in to the starter solenoid. If I can I will post pictures of it.

mike
    1982 GT
    *stock 5.0 long block
    *f-cam
    *70mm on3 turbo
    *8lbs of boost
    *EFI swap
    *90mm accufab tb
    *42lb injectors
    *twin 255 walbro fuel pumps

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast