Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Stock EFI in my 82

Hello guys I am looking in to using a stock efi harness and ecu in my 82 instead of the mega squirt. I am going to put a quarter horse in or a Pms later. But my question is who has done this and what wires will need to be cut and hooked up to get it going and what not. I know this swap has been done. Any and all help is appreciated!

Thanks,
    Mike

I swapped efi from a '90 mustang into my '79, then added a Quarterhorse. Then I took it all out a Megasqurted it. Wish I had gone with the megasquirt to begin with.

If you just plan on a mild build that does not require much tweeking the stock EFI approach will work. IMO the Tunerstudio software I am using is way better than Binary Editor.

I used another stock engine harness when I added the MS, If I were to do it over I would just use the MS harness to new pig tails. Dealing with the old, hard, brittle stock wiring sucks.

Can't say much about the PMS other than that you would still have to deal with the old wiring, I have not tuned with it.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

My question is what wires need to be cut and hooked up to make the harness work in my car? I read that there were some wires that had to be cut and hooked up. I am looking at a 91 wireing.

If I recall correctly the 91 harness may have the air bag wiring integrated into the harness. I have a 91 GT and I know some of the airbag wiring is separate, but I believe some of it is also inside the loom for the engine and EFI harness. The best thing to do would be do a web search for all the information in regards to these type of swaps. Many have pictures that show all the connections, wiring, etc. so that you can label everything you need. Once you have everything labeled, then you can begin cutting and removing all that you don't want/need.

If that is more than you want to do, then I would recommend an aftermarket wire harness. The advantage is time savings, less clutter, instructions, and newer wiring and connectors. The OEM wiring is often brittle and many of the connectors can break while removing/installing which adds headaches and cost to the project.

Here is one options, although not the cheapest it's a quality kit. I personally have one of these myself. http://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MG-70

Here is a Ford harness and I have one of these also. Not as custom looking as the Detail Zone kit, but looks stock. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...FaZAMgodSgYAaQ

I personally do not recommend Painless Wiring kits as I have had nothing but issues with them on install. Others may disagree, but personally I would buy either of the two listed above before I tried Painless again.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I am unfortunately probably gonna stick with the stock stuff for now. I have to get it running soon so I can take my diesel down so I can fix some bad oil leaks on my 7.3. so for now I have to go with a stock harness. I had a 91 and disconnected all of the air bag crap and never had a problem. I would just like to know what wires I need to hook the power up on it. Been a while since I have messed with efi.

since the last time I was on here I have purchased a good 87 ECU harness for my car. Any ideas on what needs cut to wire it in my car? I am going to be buying a P.I.M.P ECU from stinger performance so I wont be using a mass air.

mike

will I have to wire up an inertia switch ? I think I am going to wire up my twin 255's to a switch. Is there a step by step of anyone doing this swap that anyone knows about?

mike

There is some good info out there on doing the EFI swap, but you still have to do the work if you don't want to cough up the cash for an aftermarket harness. I laid out the stock harness on a sheet of plywood, removed the covers and tape. Then I separated all the wires, and removed what I no longer needed. Wiring diagrams will be your friend on this. I suggest using diagrams from a couple different sources because they are not always correct.

You can eliminate the inertia switch if you want, I kept mine, just mounted it on the passenger side in front of the shock tower. I'm still using it with my MS setup.

The PIMP setup is a variant of a MS. You may be cash ahead just going with the MS.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Good Advice from Mustang-Junky!

I would recommend keeping the inertia switch. It's a safety item and could very well save you and your car in the event of an accident. They are pretty sturdy and rarely have issues, so other than the need to mount it somewhere, there is little good reason IMHO to get rid of it. You can mount it anywhere that is accessible. The OEM location in the rear hatch works pretty well. You can even drill a hole in your panel just like the factory and put the OEM rubber plug in if you like.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

When I converted my 83L to efi I used the engine harness from an 87 GT. I enlarged the wire diagram out of my Chilton's manual and printed the diagrams I got from here on 11x17 paper. I used the information gleaned from a couple of sites to piece together what I needed.

Here are the sites I used.

http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/FordEFISwap.htm
    http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=1
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Can I put a one wire alt. on it? Do I have to run the right alt. with the harness? Does the computer need to recognize the alt for some reason?i don't have the alt. wireing harness or the o2 harness. Still working on that.

Mike

The ecu doesn't know or care which alternator you run. You will however need the o2s. Make sure the o2 harness matches the ecu you are running or you could burn out your ecu.
    Last edited by mustangxtreme; 02-21-2014 at 05:30 AM. Reason: additional info
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Ok . I am pretty sure it's not a 87 harness it has mass air on it. Now about the ecu what's so special about the a9l? I have been told that's the one I want.

Having some problems finding my power wire that I need. The manual I have said its in a brown connector but there isn't one there is black and grey.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 bad 82 gt View Post
    Having some problems finding my power wire that I need. The manual I have said its in a brown connector but there isn't one there is black and grey.
    I would recommend going by the wire color and striping color rather than the connector color. Although the connector color is helpful and often correct, the wire color is generally more accurate in my experience.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Ya it's not matching the manual I have that I printed out. It's definatley an 86 harness. There's no berametric pressure sensor. Will it not run right being my ecu is out of a 91.

Have you looked at this diagram to verify the correct wire and wire color?

http://www.mc-machine.com/pdf/1986.pdf

If your computer is a 91, then as long as you do the Mass Air conversion and double check that your pin locations match it should work just fine.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

The messed up thing is it has mass air on it but no barametric pressure sensor. I cut the tape down and the wireing hasn't been messed with.

What is a "vss" wire? http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/FordEFISwap.htm

This is where I am getting my wireing at. It looks like it's matching to a tee. I'll find out more tomorrow when I get off work.

VSS is usually Vehicle Speed Sensor

If the wiring harness you have is Mass air and it hasn't been "converted" then it's not an 86 Fox harness.

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Hmmmm..... I don't know what the hell is goin on with it I'll check it over again tomorrow. I really don't wanna buy another harness cause some idiot screwed it up. I checked where the mass goes in to the main harness and it doesn't look like it's been cut in to at all..

See what's gonna happen is I am gonna get pi$$ed enough an gonna drop the coin on an already done harness. Either I am making this really hard in my self or some a$$ screwed with it.

I understand your frustrations. The best option at this point is probably take a break and walk away from it for a rest. Drink a beverage or two of your choice and let it sit. Then when you go back to it, start from the beginning and double check your work and your "assumptions". Most of the time when I do this, I find that I made a mistake or an assumption that was wrong and once that is corrected, things begin to come together at that point. Sometimes walking away for a few minutes or an hour or so works . . . sometimes it's days or weeks.

Good Luck I am sure you will figure it all out.

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Thank you very much. If I check it out tonight I'll let you know what I find out.

Well after looking at my Haynes manual there's not a mass air in the wireing. It's been added

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast