Close

Thread: hood clearance

Default hood clearance

my 84 has the stock flat hood, no scoop at all. What 4 barrel intake will work under this hood. Thinking about a crate engine but if I can't put a decent intake on it I might as well stay stock. From what I've gleaned from this sight is that the performer isn't much better than the stocker. I would like to go rpm but will it fit? Is it true that there are convertible motor mounts that would drop engine slightly? I have looked at sites that give the height of the rpm but some are conflicting. Any other brands fit?
    Thanks
    Chuck

I ran a performer back in the day under my 85 stock hood for awhile. Yes it had the hood scoop on it but the hole was small. The air cleaner sealed up to the hood so clearance was still factory height. I have heard the same thing about the convertible engine mounts. Cannot confirm it though. I can also say that yes the performer is not as good as some of the newer intakes, it was definitely better than stock!
    Steve
    "Taillights in Your Face Jack? You've just been Dominated!"
    # Link to Facebook Dominator Mustang Fans # # Link to Facebook Predator Mustang Fans #
    # Link to Facebook Twister Mustang Fans #
    Current Stangs: Stangless
    Previously owned:
    84 Black GT, 85 Black T-Top Dominator GT # Link to Restoration Thread # 85 Dominator GT RIP 1995, 85 Predator GT, 83 Dominator GT, 82 Mustang GT

I have this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-9424-F302/ intake on my 85 vert. I have no rubbing issues even with the stock hood insulation installed. I also have factory vert motor mounts. I believe this intake is comparable to the Performer RPM and Stealth relative to measurements.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

New User

I have the Performer RPM and Convertible Mounts (they DO NOT lower the engine at all)no under hood insulation and have about 3/4 to one inch clearance using the stock Air Cleaner assembly. Never had any issues with rubbing or touching at all. The Performer RPM Air Gap is a bit higher again, and wouldn't work for me.

The convertible mounts are a bit lower than standard OEM mounts, but not much. Maybe a 1/4" or so at most, so it will not gain you much, but they are better engine mounts than the standard OEM mounts and they are lower than the aftermarket poly mounts.

The Performer is a more efficient intake than the OEM 4bbl intake, but don't expect huge power increases just by the intake alone. The RPM is great if you have the cam, heads, and exhaust to exploit it's upper power band, otherwise I would stay with the Performer.

Most likely the RPM will not fit under the stock hood without drop mounts. Otherwise a cowl hood would probably be the next best option. Just make sure that you match your intake to your cam, heads, and exhaust or vice versa. No since in running high RPM intake if you are running the stock cam or one that runs out of power at 5000 RPM or you have stock head, exhaust, etc.

Oh, I have a 5.0 in my 79 PC with the vert motor mounts, running a Performer intake with a 1" spacer and the OEM 82-85 dual snorkel air cleaner and I have no hood clearance issues. I believe I could run the RPM intake and still be fine with clearance, but my current engine combo doesn't really need the RPM. I am only running the 1" spacer to try and help with fuel boiling during the summer months.

Good Luck!

Trey
    Last edited by wraithracing; 02-02-2014 at 05:11 PM.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

On my '85 Hatch with JBA shorties and '86-up Magnaflow 2.5" true dual catted X-pipe and Flowmasters,
    the EGR-friendly Performer 302 was good for about another 1000 RPM up top. So I would take issue
    with the notion that the Performer 302 is no better than the factory piece. Contrary to what you may
    have heard, the Performer 302 runners are larger than the factory intake, they're just not a lot larger,
    and people tend to compare it to the Performer RPM.

The Performer RPM is taller than the performer 302, but since it doesn't support EGR, there's no point
    in keeping the ~1" thick EGR spacer plate. You will want to find a new place to hook up the canister
    purge line though.

But if you haven't upgraded your exhaust system yet, I would suggest doing that first. With a stock
    exhaust, the intake manifold is not what's holding your '84 back.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

FEP Senior Member

On my 85 Mustang LX HB, I have an Edelbrock Victor Jr. and Holley 650 DP, with its choke plate still intact, and it all fits under the stock steel flat hood (no insulation), although I have never tried to fit any air cleaner to it. So with a drop base air cleaner, I THINK a Performer RPM will fit, not so sure about an Air Gap.
    1978 Fairmont 2 door sedan, 428CJ 4speed. 9.972ET@132.54mph. 1.29 60 foot
    Replaced the FE big block with my 331/4 speed in my Fairmont, best 10.24ET @128 MPH.
    1985 Mustang LX hatchback NHRA Stock Eliminator 302 4 speed best in legal trim 12.31@107 mph, but has gone 11.42@115 with aftermarket intake, carb, and iron Windsor Jr. heads.New for 2012! 331 cube SB Ford, AFR 185 heads, solid flat tappet cam, pump gas; 10.296ET@128.71 mph, 1.37 60 foot.
    1979 Zephyr Z7, all original 302 auto, 2nd owner.

Ok, thanks. I have money budgeted for a new motor and was hoping to improve all aspects of the engine, exhaust and intake. Really thinking about one of the crate engines from ford coupled with an Rpm and the dual snorkel air breather. Looks like a couple of you are running the rpm under the hood so I think I will go that route. I guess I could use some k-member spacers if needed. I used those on my big block '86. Not to change subject but anyone run the 340hp crate?

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    I have this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-9424-F302/ intake on my 85 vert. I have no rubbing issues even with the stock hood insulation installed. I also have factory vert motor mounts. I believe this intake is comparable to the Performer RPM and Stealth relative to measurements.
    I'm running Weiand's version of the Ford manifold noted above (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wnd-8124/overview/) on my '85 GT convertible. I believe Weiand makes the Ford FMS-M-9424-F302 intake. I'm running a 1/4" 4 hole phenolic spacer under my Summit 600CFM carb and my stock, dual snorkel air cleaner just barely rubs my hood pad towards the front. I've rotated the lid so it doesn't rub off my 5.0L 4V HO decal.
    BTW, I ditched the EGR valve and spacer, since the Weiand 8124 has no provisions for it.
    '85 Mustang convertible GT, 5 speed, 4V
    Stock bottom end, Comp Cams XE264HR-14, GT-40P heads w/ Alex's springs, Weiand 8124 Street Warrior,
    Summit Racing 600CFM carb, 8.8 Turbo Coupe rear end w/ 3.55 gears, '94/'95 Cobra brakes, '85 Town Car M/C, '93 Cobra booster, MM Panhard Bar, MM Strut Tower Brace, MM 4 point K-member Brace

'68 Mercury Cougar, w/ '88 5.0L, 4V
    My photo website:
    http://www.twilightphoto.com/

On my GT-350 I use Energy suspension motor mounts, Air gap intake and a Edelbrock carb (No spacer plate). Factory dual snorkel air cleaner. It all fits under the stock hood.
    85 G.T. All motor
    337 c.i.d 11.44-120 mph

1984 1/2 G.T. 350 (13.01-106 mph)

1984 G.T. (Daughters car)

1986 G.T. (Son's car) (12.99-105 mph)

stock "flat" hood? if you can run an air gap, im sure I can run a Rpm with no issues. thanks! that what I wanted to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by 84 POS View Post
    Ok, thanks. I have money budgeted for a new motor and was hoping to improve all aspects of the engine, exhaust and intake. Really thinking about one of the crate engines from ford coupled with an Rpm and the dual snorkel air breather. Looks like a couple of you are running the rpm under the hood so I think I will go that route. I guess I could use some k-member spacers if needed. I used those on my big block '86. Not to change subject but anyone run the 340hp crate?
    I have the Ford crate with 340hp that I installed a year ago. Love the motor! I am running the RPM and I do not have a carb spacer and the dual snorkel air cleaner I bought rubs the stock hood. It is just rubbing so with some K member spacers I could likely run the air cleaner and will look into that this summer. I also thought about clearancing the hood a bit. It is rubbing on the bracing so a little hammer work may get the room I need. I am running solid engine mounts...factory ones that have been modified. Right now I am using an open element air cleaner that works under the hood till I can get some space. Pics in my album.

Trey...does the hood in your pace car have a bit more room because of the hood scoop?
    Last edited by Tracer; 02-11-2014 at 10:20 PM.
    1985 Mustang GT 5speed LRB with Ford Racing M-6007-X302, Performer RPM, Holley 670 Avenger carb, BBK headers with H-pipe, B&M short throw
    1986 Mustang GT (parts car)
    1986 LX Coupe 4cyl, 4speed, LRB

Quote Originally Posted by Tracer View Post
    I have the Ford crate with 340hp that I installed a year ago. Love the motor! I am running the RPM and I do not have a carb spacer and the dual snorkel air cleaner I bought rubs the stock hood. It is just rubbing so with some K member spacers I could likely run the air cleaner and will look into that this summer. I also thought about clearancing the hood a bit. It is rubbing on the bracing so a little hammer work may get the room I need. I am running solid engine mounts...factory ones that have been modified. Right now I am using an open element air cleaner that works under the hood till I can get some space. Pics in my album.

Trey...does the hood in your pace car have a bit more room because of the hood scoop?
    The answer is yes and no. My PC was originally the Turbo 4 so it has the hood with the cut out for clearance. So there are no support braces in the carburetor area of the hood. This does provide additional clearance. My engine and air cleaner sit @ 1" or more below the top of the metal cowl panel so that additional clearance provided by the hole in the hood isn't really needed. It's possible that if I had the solid hood on the car that one of the hood braces might rub on the air cleaner. So not sure if that helps or not.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Tracer, how does 340 hp do? I started to ask if it was enough but that would be a silly question. Im assuming it is streetable but gives enough kick to keep up with modern cars?

it's a pretty easy engine to live with, good driveability with some 3.73's,it has a good mid/top end pull from what I've experienced
    *FOXTOBERFEST* 2015 http://www.foxmustangrestoration.com/events
    85 T Top coupe 5.0 2R red, E7's, rpm intake, 4180 carb, 7.4 1/8
    83 CC capri 5.0 5 speed,black mesh wheels
    76 cobra II 302 auto black/gold, big cam 3 inch dumps- sold to a good friend
    92 coupe 5.0 5 speed -red
    92 Lx hatch 5.0 5 speed -black, 66 coupe 5.0 4 spd (project)
    87 Vert 5.0 AOD red stock as a rock

" Are you sure you know what you're talking about? It kinda sounds like you know what you're talking about"

Quote Originally Posted by 84 POS View Post
    Tracer, how does 340 hp do? I started to ask if it was enough but that would be a silly question. Im assuming it is streetable but gives enough kick to keep up with modern cars?
    I like the power it makes...I didn't want a drag car or a track car but it sure could be. Its a monster when you get into it but I was used to 210hp before. I wanted a cruiser that could spin the tires when I wanted to and it does that while sounding great! I had a pretty tight budget to work with and after looking at all the options out there I found this to be my best bang for my buck. I am sure it is possible to build an engine cheaper. I liked this motor because it has been thought out and comes with a two year warranty! Now I need to work on the stop as it has the go.
    1985 Mustang GT 5speed LRB with Ford Racing M-6007-X302, Performer RPM, Holley 670 Avenger carb, BBK headers with H-pipe, B&M short throw

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    The answer is yes and no. My PC was originally the Turbo 4 so it has the hood with the cut out for clearance. So there are no support braces in the carburetor area of the hood. This does provide additional clearance. My engine and air cleaner sit @ 1" or more below the top of the metal cowl panel so that additional clearance provided by the hole in the hood isn't really needed. It's possible that if I had the solid hood on the car that one of the hood braces might rub on the air cleaner. So not sure if that helps or not.

Trey
    Hey that helps...If I didnt have the bracing under the hood I know mine would fit too. So only the pace cars with the turbo 4 had the hole under the scoop?

Quote Originally Posted by Tracer View Post
    Hey that helps...If I didnt have the bracing under the hood I know mine would fit too. So only the pace cars with the turbo 4 had the hole under the scoop?
    No, my understanding is that on the early cars 79-81 IIRC, the turbo 4 cars had the cut out in the hood for air cleaner clearance, but the other engine options didn't. Although I think there have been some OEM examples of the hood showing up on cars that were equipped with different engines.

The 79-82 hood has minimal underhood bracing compared to the 83-86 hoods, so consider that too. Essentially without the hole in the top surface, there is only a single brace that runs down the middle of the hood on the early cars. The 83-86 cars have more cross bracing so keep that in mind.

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller